Consistent Artists

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Dec 1, 2020.

1. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    Since you're rolling that way... you always knew who The Carpenters were, and they were always good. Too bad they weren't around for long. Ditto Creedence Clearwater Revival.

thunder58 likes this.
  2. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    Aretha was a national treasure and was consistently amazing, yet she couldn't sing a song the same way twice - not at all a bad thing since it was because she lived completely in the moment with each and every performance rather than trying to replicate something (even her own past performance). Because of that she reportedly gave the _Blues Brothers_ filmmakers nervous fits while they were trying to edit various takes of the "Think" scene into the final product.

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  3. gretsch-to-go

gretsch-to-go Electromatic

Oct 2, 2019
    Palm Coast, FL
    Consistent artists to me, means they morphed over time and you still knew who they were when the music played. Like Van Halen, U2, Smashing Pumpkins & a lot of others. With vocals, that's probably the easiest & most recognizable (Beach Boys), but there are guitarists that have done that consistency with their song writing & play. Taking Dire Straits as an example, Making Movies was really the only album they had that I even liked enough to consider even buying. Their mid & later 80's hits & albums left me short, just wanting the songs to end. Maybe I was one of the few that had already moved on from Dire Straits at that time. Sultans of Swing was the start of it all. But that very 1st album didn't have much on it for a complete album to be considered great ? But I still think Dire straits should be on any list of consistent artists because what they played was instantly recognizable.

drmilktruck and MrWookiee like this.
  4. Clifton

Clifton Gretschie

Dec 9, 2012
    Texas
    Los Lobos has been really consistent over the years. Elvis Costello is another one, and so is Robyn Hitchcock.

BassicLee, Highroller and drmilktruck like this.
  5. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

True: the Rolling Stones have been consistently disappointing for more than 30 years :D

I'm pretty surprised to read names such as The Clash (the band lasted 5 years!) or Television (even shorter).

6. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Brevity makes consistency easier.

new6659, drmilktruck and MrWookiee like this.
  7. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Nice list but I'd have to add The Beatles to it.

8. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Never did get into Barry and Copacabana really done me in...:D.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2020
  9. Xochi2

Xochi2 Gretschie

Oct 5, 2020
    Wisconsin
    I like your list!

10. BassicLee

BassicLee Electromatic

Nov 12, 2020
    USA
    Paul Simon

MrWookiee and drmilktruck like this.
  11. salvatore

salvatore Gretschie

Nov 29, 2017
    Durham, NC
    The Beatles are among my top three rock artists of all time.
    I really wanted to add the Beatles, but I didn’t because even though the quality was consistent, the music changed so dramatically say , from Beatles For Sale to The White Album, and , from HELP! to Magical Mystery Tour, I couldn’t in good conscience say that the music was consistent.
    Their music hit so many different eras and genres, employed so many woodwind, string, and brass arrangements, and presented everything from Bach (“Because”) to Country (“Rocky Raccoon”) to Blues (“Yer Blues) to Lullaby’s (“Goodnight”) to Psychedelia (“Tomorrow Never Knows”), that their audience would have a difficult time calling their sound or music consistent.

12. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    My thought in using the word consistent wasn't that the music didn't change or progress but rather it was of a general uniform quality with few clunkers. You could be mostly assured that if you picked up an unheard album by the band, you'd get what you expected to hear. Even those who weren't predisposed to like the artist could admit they mined a certain style or sound or approach.

It's probably true that shorter careers makes it more likely for the band to be consistent.

MrWookiee likes this.
  13. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I get bored if an Artist doesnt grow and take chances, as long as they come back once in a while with the goods that got them on the charts. With in reason.. I dont want to hear anything by the Stray Cats now, or ever. It was a time, a place, youth... The artist burst forth from that plant and grew into maturation(BSOrchestra), then delivered consistently while throwing out his own penchant for different brush strokes (Cross of Love to Wolfgangs big night out) while at the same time giving a taste of the old grindy Cat we grew up with (68 comeback special/ignition -rockabilly riot) plus sharing his variety of muses (songs from lonely avenue) for possible future direction post BSO.
    We got that from U2 as well hittin the charts with NEw Years Day to Streets have no name.. and then they got creative...people wanted to drop them like a hot rock through Achtung Baby, Zoo TV, POP.. so they HAD to come back to elevation to revisit their youth, but Achtung Baby shows maturity and a beautiful palette of expression in my book. One of my favorite times in their long careers.

drmilktruck likes this.
  14. afire

afire Country Gent

[​IMG]
    Love 'em or hate 'em, they didn't stray far from their golden formula.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.