Considering selling my Gretsch....

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by CalicoSkies, May 15, 2021.

1. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    Central Florida
    It's a very good starting point since it will be a negotiation anyway. I'd try selling locally first since there wouldn't be shipping charges added on top. I'd look at it this way; you got it for a really good price to begin with. You'll never recover full price for the case no matter what. If the buyer doesn't care about the case (some don't) you can sell it separately - plenty of people looking for Electro cases. The problem with mods is you rarely get your money back especially if you pay to have them done. But heck there might be someone out there that wants just what you've got. Best of luck wherever you land with it.

2. Outlaw

Outlaw Country Gent

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    In UK money that's about £490. 00
    If I was looking for a 5420 and one came up with those upgrades I'd go for it.

But don't sell it!!
    Sell all your other guitars instead!

PS-Not sure how I managed to quote myself in this post but what the heck!

JC higgy and j.s.c like this.
  3. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I read the Portland CL ads every week, and Gretsch guitars sit there for a long time. I think CL shoppers may be either looking for a bargain or looking for a brand name they know. Gretsch is a well known brand in the Portland music community, but the musicians who know and are seeking the styles and sounds a Gretsch excels in are pretty scarce. There is a much stronger market for solid body Fenders, Gibsons, and such. They sell more quickly on CL too. Strats have a huge appeal in the Portland rock scene (much diminished lately). Jazz gals and guys seem to prefer Teles. Those are my informal observations, anyway. Relative to the OP, I think you’re fairly priced. A knowledgeable player will appreciate your upgrades.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    CalicoSkies and GlenP like this.
  4. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    @CalicoSkies that seems like a very fair price to me! If I was looking for a 5420, I’d snap that up! Between my super-responsive 2420 and the 6120 Smoke though, I don’t need it, and I’m eyeing the new G2622-P90.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

CalicoSkies likes this.
  5. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    If you have the original pups I would pull the TV's and put the originals in and sell the guitar as close to stock and sell the pups separately.

emitex, David_GS, Henry and 6 others like this.
  6. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
  7. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    If you put that on your local craigslist for $700 with those sweet upgrades, it’ll sell.
    Good luck!

MotorCentaur and G5422T like this.
  8. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa

You've got a great color, on a dang nice Gretsch. The mods are quality components and look like they are "at home."

The market is goofy as we all know. You can always come down in price, or someone may jump on it because it's done right and looks right.

Never know til you list it. Best of luck.

NJDevil likes this.
  9. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    My thoughts exactly…

G5422T likes this.
  10. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Or if he’s good at soldering, put the original back in and sell the pickups separately. In addition to selling the guitar of course.

NJDevil, Outlaw, audept and 1 other person like this.
  11. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

Are you going to list it on Reverb? Or are you going to try and sell it without having to ship it? Right now is a great time to sell a guitar because it is getting difficult to get new ones anywhere. I went to pick up one of mine after having some work done on it and asked the guys if they were still having issues getting inventory and they said yes, that they (retailers) are now being told to place their orders for Christmas. Even with early ordering, they have no idea what or how much they will get in! I was looking at two specific models of Takamine from them direct--earliest delivery on the one was November and the other was January 2022, and those were guestimates. I would start it out at $750, gives you wiggle room to give a discount and still get what you want for it. Good luck, that color is one of my favorites!

Archtops likes this.
  12. KreepyTeach

KreepyTeach Electromatic

May 27, 2018
    Brooklyn, Ny

How's the 6120's neck? I read it's gotta V shape that sounds so nice!

13. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    It’s a very soft V - and my favorite Gretsch neck.

14. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I understand how you feel, the big box thing is why I sold the 6119 and bought a 65 Corvette and an 80 BST.

Craig Encinitas likes this.
  15. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Check the For Sale section here. There's a forum member selling a quartet of 5420T's (no mods) in the price range you're thinking about. He's moved two of the four already.

I also think you'd be wise to include the original blacktops in the sale if you still have them. They're part of the original guitar.

But overall, yeah, I think your price point is ok. Remember, you can always go down if it doesn't move, not easy to go up!

Outlaw, CalicoSkies and Archtops like this.
  16. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Gretschie

Nov 18, 2019
    Beaverton, OR, USA
    I feel like the electronics are fine. The thing is that since it's a hollow body, it has more body depth than my other electrics and I find it less comfortable to play. Also, I often rest my pinky finger on the pickguard when I strum, and since the pickguard is raised off the body, it wobbles when I do that. Just a minor annoyance I guess.

Unfortunately I no longer have the original pickups.

I'd like to try to sell it without having to ship it.

17. azrielle

azrielle Electromatic

Feb 24, 2021
    Lund,NV USA
    If I had the money, and were it the 1/2" thinner 5410T, with TV Jones Classics, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat for 700. Probably not for the 5420 T, because, like you, that body depth just doesn't appeal to me.

18. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Considering almost all new owners of this model seem to change everything almost as soon as it arrives, i would have thought that would be an easy sale,great colour ,great upgrades.

19. GHook

GHook Gretschie

Sep 3, 2010
    wnc
    Bonding to me is mandatory for guitar/bass ownership. I think you will get what your asking or an acceptable offer. I have gone thru several Gretsch guitars/laps that I could not bond with. Don't give up on the brand is my best advice after you sell your current jazz box. The Corvette (ce) and Gin-Ricky guitars I have currently are "fully bonded and immensely enjoyed.

20. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Def not out of line, with those upgrades.

CalicoSkies likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.