Considering a Guild F-40 jumbo

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Rock Lajoint, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Synchromatic

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    I'm in the market for a new Guild jumbo, the F-40 or maybe the 'Traditional' version are in the frame. Has anyone got any experience of them? I had been looking at Gibsons but I think the Guilds give more bang for buck.

I play solo gigs and open mics - 50s r'n'r, country and other roots stuff. Currently playing a Martin DM, I want something with the strumming 'boom' but also suitable for finger picking.

thunder58 likes this.
  2. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    I can't speak for the F-40 Traditional, but I have a D-40 Traditional, and absolutely love it. It's all subjective, of course, but for me, the neck is just right, the action was just right...if "felt" good, and sound-wise....it just makes me smile every time I play it.

Rock Lajoint likes this.
  3. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Guilds can be a great bang for buck. Hoboken NJ or Westerly RI built. Many of them play very easy the neck feeling a lot like an electric. I've not had an F-40.

Rock Lajoint likes this.
  4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    toddfan and Rock Lajoint like this.
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I have a '68 D-35. It'd be hard to find a better acoustic than a Guild.

6. Groutsch

Groutsch Gretschie

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    Try to get your hands on one for some firsthand experience. The old Guilds are highly regarded, so some people always recommend them, but the new ones are also good and are less likely to need their necks reset.

You can get more info on the Let's Talk Guild forum.

Rock Lajoint likes this.
  7. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    After reading both Swivel's comment and Groutsch's comment, regarding old vs new and factory location, I wanted to clarify, mine is one of the new Oxnard, California models.... and again....it's been a wonderful guitar for the (roughly) 3 years I've had it.

I've mentioned before, but my dream is to finally get a USA made Guild 12 string....but, at the moment, they are WAY out of my price point.....I've even heard good things about their Chinese made 12 strings...so.....if I finally decide that I can't swing a USA model, I may go for the import.....after playing my Gretsch 5420T, my opinion on import guitars has changed quite a bit. (I believe my next electric may very well be a Japanese made Gretsch Proline :) )

Rock Lajoint likes this.
  8. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    Is the envy and jealousy I felt when I saw your post wrong? Maybe....but I can't help myself... ;-)

thunder58 likes this.
  9. Rock Lajoint

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    The guitars I've been looking at are new Oxnard production. I say 'looking at' but I've only had hands on the regular F-40. In fact the F-40E, although I don't want the electronics it comes with. The Traditional model is too far to travel to try, also too close to my sister-in-law's house so I'd be forced to visit if I did do the journey. So I'd be taking a chance on buying that remotely and returning if unhappy, although I doubt that would be the case.

This would be the most I've ever spent on a guitar, more even than my proline Gretsches.
    As I've been working from home for the last year, I've been putting my usual monthly train fare in a 'guitar slush' account and it's added up nicely.

Groutsch likes this.
  10. Rock Lajoint

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    OOH! I pulled the trigger! Guild F-40 Traditional.

The prices went up significantly today on the other models I'd seen. I dunno if that's some sort of exchange rate thing. So I decided to take a chance before everything was bumped.

Should be with me Monday. How Madame Lajoint will smile...

Ricochet, Groutsch and new6659 like this.
  11. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    Very nice! I'll be interested to hear your opinion on it, after you've had a chance to play it a bit.

12. guitarfarm

guitarfarm Country Gent

I have a 1974 F50R that plays beautifully and sounds like a grand piano. Very full, robust sound. Lots of projection. Body wise, it is very deep for an acoustic. Very good bang for the buck. Good luck with your search.

F50R.JPG guild1.JPG

OzzPocket, new6659 and Groutsch like this.
  13. Misty Mountain Hop

Misty Mountain Hop Gretschie

Feb 14, 2012
    Washington
    I love my 1978 F50. A lot of guitar and built like a tank, but awesome tone. Had to do a neck reset which is not uncommon nor cheap as Guilds are as I said, built like tanks….

body.jpg Front.jpg head.jpg back.jpg rear head.jpg

14. Rock Lajoint

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    F-40 Traditional arrived today. Oh My Lord what a sound! It doesn't 'boom' so much as 'rumble'!

Ricochet, gtttrrr and Groutsch like this.
  15. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
  16. Congrats on the guitar! Sadly i have not played many guild or even martins or Taylor acoustic. Probably a few more guilds than any. The ones i tried played well, but i am always looking for a well playing a cannon. Martin always comes to mind as they compete with those gibson cannon banjos. But i never thought about guilds for shear volume, and as one described it, rumble. I would like an acoustic that is so loud it rumbles.

Rock Lajoint likes this.
  17. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Congrats! I'm a big fan of the Guild Jumbos, wonderful guitars.

Enjoy!

18. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Nice! Congrats, looks like a loud guitar.

19. gretschbigsby

gretschbigsby Electromatic

Nov 21, 2009
    chicago
    Congrats! Happy owner of a late 90's Westerly JF-30. Built like a tank, sounds awesome.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.