Compressors that play nice with Brains?

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Pine Apple Slim, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    I have a DynaComp. It’s ok I guess w the DynaBrain off, but I havnt found a good place in the chain before or after. Too noisy. Too dark. Too much boost. Not enough control.
    I think want some attack control and a blend function for subtlety.
    I hate to spend $300 bucks on a boutique Comp, but I guess I will if I have too.

2. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I don't have attack control or blend on my Diamond Comp - it's just comp/tone/vol - but it's a great, smooth compressor that works very well with my Atomic Brain. I typically run it before the Brain so I get a nice sustained note and then the Brain gives it a boost. It's very clean, very transparent and doesn't pump or swell until you turn it way up and even then, hardly any.

There are three more I'm considering for myself:

Empress - a very good rack quality pedal with attack etc. Full featured, very well reviewed. Usually around $199, but can be found for $150. $249 new and worth it.
    Origin Cali76 Compact - really nice, smooth action, well reviewed. Expensive - $329.
    Keeley Pro - similar buttons and knobs as Empress, very good design. NOT a Ross style comp like the original Keeley. Similar price to Empress.

Origin - I like their Cali76 Tx which has a nice transformer in it. But it's out of production and used ones are off the charts expensive. But if you can find it for under $300, buy it and I'll buy if off you! It really sounds good.

Also, this guy reviews a lot of compressors: http://www.ovnilab.com

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    Henry and Pine Apple Slim like this.
  3. Javier668

Javier668 Electromatic

Nov 9, 2017
    Chile
    Tc electronic hyper gravity works flawlessly for me.

4. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    Keeley Gc‑2 Limiting Amplifier Guitar Compression Pedal. Put it at the end of signal chain. I believe @TSims1 is doing this, and Buzz Campbell sets his up like this.

TSims1 likes this.
  5. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Beat me to it. GC-2 loves Nocturne stuff.

6. vyndance

vyndance Gretschie

Dec 12, 2014
    Bear Valley Springs, CA
    Janglebox. I have an original black/red and it is quiet as a church mouse unless you dime the gain and I don't use it for boost. Have not played a new black/white but I'm sure it is sweet. Don't buy the Byrds model for $30 more the only difference is the case. If you find black/red the power is pin + and needs a converter cable. I would put it just after your pre-amp.

thunder58 and Bertotti like this.
  7. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I have the origins Cali 76 compact deluxe. It's great. I really like having wet and dry controls. If you prefer a simpler setup the non- deluxe is the exact same with fewer knobs.

I also liked the Keeley and wampler ego. They all worked fine with nocturne pedals.

TSims1 likes this.
  8. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Cali 76 significantly better than the Keeley and Wampler in your ears? At least maybe audibly different?

9. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    More that I could get the Cali to do exactly what I needed for my playing style and band mix. I can't really judge how good they are as my only compressor experience is ordering these 3 and trying them for a couple weeks.

stevo likes this.
  10. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Before or after, which brain?

11. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Hmm I bought the Byrds model because of the case but I got it on reverb 50$ under normal price and it is a pin negative box. Good warning on the other one though you certainly don’t want to try one by powering it up backwards.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  12. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Cali and Keeley sound different. I like them both really, but the GC-2 is so useful while being very easy to use. Being that it’s cheaper as well makes it a no-brainer. If you wanna spend a bundle on a nice compressor with its own flavor, the Cali is beautiful.

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  13. Javier668

Javier668 Electromatic

Nov 9, 2017
    Chile
    I like after all, but before sounds good too.
    Is a lot better sound than boss comp.

Ricochet likes this.
  14. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I’m selling my Keeley GC-2 by the way. ;)

stevo likes this.
  15. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
  16. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

On the rare occasion that I use a compressor, I have the grey Janglebox. I put it before the AtomicBrain

TV the Wired Turtle and Bertotti like this.
  17. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Janglebox has such a cool sound, a unique sound not a traditional compressor but because of this I never tried to see what sort of slight compression I could get out of it. I now need to try that. I don't have my brain yet, a bit more time before they are shipped but it seems to work fine anywhere in my chain as long as it is not on before the micro Qtron. I can have it before but can't turn it on at the same time it really messes with it in a way I don't like.

18. Mudshark

Mudshark Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2012
    Canada
    I think a good choice, I have the full size version in the same colour which I use sparingly. Diamond a great CND pedal company. Best with single coils like Dynas.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    Pine Apple Slim likes this.
  19. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    wait.... so what are you gonna use now?

20. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Pine Apple Slim likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.