Compressor Question?

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by G5422T, Feb 19, 2021 at 3:22 PM.

1. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    LOL, frankly I thought that for the longest time too, but manufacturers have made great strides in cramming studio quality compressors into pedals lately.

2. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Anyone remember this one (I think it has been discontinued)?

upload_2021-2-23_4-8-50.png

3. Winkels

Winkels Electromatic

Jun 23, 2018
    Canada
  4. Outlaw

Outlaw Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    IMG_20210223_152422.jpg Here's mine and as you can see it's a work in progress, based on a mad professor Green forest.
    IMG_20210223_151307.jpg
    It doesn't have a blend control but hopefully it'll do the job.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 10:25 AM
    Henry likes this.
  5. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Interesting, I‘ve never used a compressor pedal so far but I‘m thinking about one too. It should do wonders on clean tones...besides the high respected Keeley the TC electronic got good reviews. A blend option is a must I guess.

6. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I've made my living working with compressors every day for the last 45 years as a studio & live sound engineer/mastering engineer/producer, and I say if your compressor kills dynamics, you've set it improperly. Or your compressor is cr*p.

7. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Unless that's what you're going for. There was a setting that Barber (no longer own) suggested in the manual called "heavy rubber" that was pretty funky - very dampened and rubbery sounding.

If you've been in the studio and live sound, you've had access to some exceptional compressors and know how to use them I suspect.

8. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    I've always loved what Dynacomp style compressors do to your tone. Slight rolloff of lows and highs and a really nice attack.

9. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I used to use & like the Dynacomp back in the 70s when there weren't many alternatives. Then I used various studio comps for many years in my live rig, then a Barber Tone Press for the last dozen years. Several years ago I got out my old Dynacomp for a gig which needed a very stripped down no-FX rig. And I didn't like it at all, didn't like what it did to the envelope nor tone. It's a very subjective thing. A lot of what some people like in a compressor is antithetical to others. I'm into transparency & the Dynacomp is quite audible.

10. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    Yes, I do like those audible artifacts. Totally subjective though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.