Compressor Question?

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by G5422T, Feb 19, 2021 at 3:22 PM.

1. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I want this color so bad lol. I've been thinking of building a road trip board around the Iridium, that would be a good excuse.:D

2. Gold Penguin

Gold Penguin Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Long Island, New York
    The Iridium is a great pedal.
    I think I may pick one up very soon.
    When I'm gigging locally, any gig I can drive to, I bring my board, a guitar and I Mic up my 1975 Princeton reverb my Dad bought for me new in 1975.
    I come back through my monitor mix and it sounds great.
    And if I'm doing a national I usually have 2 4x10 Hot Rod Devilles on stage.
    A couple of my friends swear by the Iridium. Sometimes the amp I request on a rider just isn't there at the gig. The default amp is a J.C. 120. Great amp but it's useless for what I'm doing. Then I'll just use the Iridium.

Cheers!

3. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
  4. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I read the Janglebox is pretty much an MXR Dynacomp/Ross clone. Is that true?

5. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    No clue, which has been out longer? I always thought the Jangle Box was created after the compressor the Byrds used.

6. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I believe the MXR/Ross is the grandaddy of compressor pedals. I’m not sure what compressor the Byrds used.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021 at 5:48 PM
    Bertotti likes this.
  7. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Out of curiosity, I just checked out some Ross compressor prices on the local market...
    Ouch! Darn, it better be the Holy Grail for that money....

Ricochet likes this.
  8. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Ricochet likes this.
  9. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    It's not really the holy grail, it's just the progenitor. Keeley and MXR and many others have used the same design and taken it to the next level. Old Ross ones are just expensive because people are willing to pay that and they're not made any more.

Ricochet and stiv like this.
  10. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Bertotti likes this.
  11. Londoner

Londoner Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    UK

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021 at 6:54 PM
  12. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Such absolutism is more common coming from classical musicians. No, by its conception, a compressor does not kill dynamics. If dynamics are killed by a compressor it is due to being set by someone who doesn't know how to use it, or by someone who wants that outcome, but that is not the natural result of using a compressor as it was designed to be used. That is not what it does.

ZackyDog and audept like this.
  13. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    If I were to try another compressor pedal, that Cali76 would likely be at the top of the heap.

And those two players are not only in their own league, they may merely be deities lost amongst us mortals :confused:

14. El Marin

El Marin Gretschie

Oct 4, 2018
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    Please, tell me. School me.

Tell me where I am wrong and what it does...

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021 at 4:02 AM
  15. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Btw, while looking for a Janglebox on Reverb I saw that the last version, the JB Nano, has a treble booster option... so I dug on the deepest layers of my fx case to find out an old BYO (like 20 years old) little orange box that was supposed to be a treble booster (that I remembered I used to have on my pedalboard on my Rickenbacker/The Who at Marquee days) that I bought in Texas during SXSW in 2000... I gave it a try and it still worked! :)
    Well, to be honest it doesn't exactly squash the tone (so I don't know how McGuinn could have used it live like he said in that article...) but fer sure it cuts like a razorblade. If I play the amp clean enough, the effect may be similar to what I'm looking for... I'd have to try it in a band situation though, but it's an option.

16. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I heard that the Janglebox folks based their compressor on the Roger McGuinn Rickenbacker 370/12 on-board compressor (and that purportedly created an issue with Rickenbacker).

17. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    You might need to differentiate in what a studio compressor originally was designed to do, and how they eventually crammed what is a side effect(squish, sustain) into small guitarpedals losing part of the original functionality?

18. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Yup. Not every comp pedal is a good example of smart, transparent, musical compressor design.

19. El Marin

El Marin Gretschie

Oct 4, 2018
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    OK, so, a compressor pedal does what I say: Kills dynamics

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.