Compressor Question?

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by G5422T, Feb 19, 2021 at 3:22 PM.

1. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Not necessarily true. And reverb is more important than the air you breathe. WHO has been filling your poor souls with such LIES?!??
    ;)

audept and Henry like this.
  2. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Like I say, I'm Brainless, but all wet!

20210130_155606.jpg 20200118_230941.jpg

Depending what's in my head, it can be just a gentle mist, or a high pressure SHOWER! lol

new6659, Henry and ZackyDog like this.
  3. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Only if you don't know how to use it.

Dave-B, Gretschmen65, Outlaw and 3 others like this.
  4. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have a Byrds Jangle Box simply to have the Jangle Box sound for when I want to mess around.

5. El Marin

El Marin Gretschie

Oct 4, 2018
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    ME. I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments I learnt by watching or listening to friends fail buying compressors and reverbs :D

Even a child could. You step on it and immediately it sucks. By it's conception, compressor kills dynamic. Is what it does. It is what it has been made for. No possible discussion on that.

You like it? I won't discuss that neither, but it does what it does

dlew919 likes this.
  6. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Country Gent

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    I can see you know what you are talking about.
    I must admit I looked at you video. Good band. However the first impression here is that it is way over compressed. As you say, the playing dynamics are completely destroyed on all the instruments by heavy handed use of this tool. Whoever did the recording probably should learn how to use it better but it demonstrates where your dislike for compression came from.

I wish everyone could provide such convincing evidence to back up their arguments.

7. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    [​IMG]

Interesting. I once had the 1988 version of the CS-3. Beyond the 12:00 sustain setting, it definitely colored my guitar tone.

[​IMG]

8. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    That’s my thing.
    I don’t need a compressor to round my tone or to have more sustain. If I would ever need more sustain, I’d play a solid body :)
    I want to use it like a on/off effect: like a boost.

Bertotti likes this.
  9. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Country Gent

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    Yes, these are very different from previous Boss compressors. That being said it is still capable of providing that squashed sound which many want out of a compressor.

My Ego from Wampler packed it in and I needed a compressor quickly. I've been more than happy with this machine and would definitely buy it again if I needed one.

Edit: You'll notice there is no tone control on the CP-1X as it doesn't do anything which requires EQ. It can also provide a nice clean boost with the added fullness of enhanced harmonic content.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021 at 5:00 AM
  10. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    ZackyDog likes this.
  11. dswo

dswo Electromatic

Apr 8, 2017
    East Carolina
    I like this one too: it’s quiet and doesn’t seem to color my guitar’s tone.

Gretschmen65 and ZackyDog like this.
  12. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Yep, that's it. With a tube amp, I don't need more compression but for the Jangle Box sound, the Byrds box is great and can be had at a good price if you watch reverb. I have never played a Ric, no desire really but it makes my Penguin very Jangley. Sometimes I wonder what I'm missing not having a 12 string to run through it but not enough to go chase one down. I also found that if you decide to run it with more effects it is very sensitive to where it is placed. I generally only run it on its own and never ever before any kind of auto filter or such, they seem to depend on the harmonics and the Jangle Box squashes that too much for them to work properly, at least to my ear. I found if it is before certain pedals giving any kind of gain it needs to be tweaked because sometimes it just bumps the wrong frequencies up, again to my ear.

stiv likes this.
  13. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2021 at 8:13 PM
  14. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Interesting - I just noticed this CP-1x. Seems to follow the current trend of Empress/Keeley/Origin in providing a studio-esque function. The old CS-3 didn't impress me, but this is something different.

Interesting video from Andy:

Gretschmen65 and ZackyDog like this.
  15. GretschPraise

GretschPraise Gretschie

Jun 26, 2017
    Tampa Bay
    My situation is different others in that I play weekly in the praise and worship band, usually on a tele. Obviously, loud unexpected spikes (which my tele seems good at producing) are not going to cut it in that situation, so I do keep the attack at about 11:00. I do not turn the sustain up at all, that raises the noise floor pretty rapidly. All of my guitars sustain wonderfully, especially when overdriven.

After a lot of research, I settled on a Wampler Ego. It tames the tele spikes and will do that chickin pickin pop if you set it for that. What it does not do, is kill the tone (sorry El Marin) the way I have it set up. It adds a certain sparkle and presence to my single coils that I really love, and that's with the tone set at 12:00.

In my research, I read repeatedly that if you don't want to sacrifice your native tone, it's important to spring the extra $$ for one with a blend knob. I keep my blend knob set at 50%. So for me, the compressor is actually a tone enhancer.

Gretschmen65 and G5422T like this.
  16. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Sounds like your space trips have compressed your brain. I'll meet you on Io and we can sort this out with a K-band jamming framus. :D

17. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Wrong time of year for an IO trip you need to head to the cat's eye nebula it's the place to rock at this time in the cosmic cycle.

stevo likes this.
  18. Gold Penguin

Gold Penguin Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Long Island, New York
    20201214_130842.jpg

I've been gigging steadily for the last 40 something years
    I've played through many different Compressor pedals.
    IMO the best sounding and feeling compressor would have to be
    Origin Effects Cali76. I've played the Jangle box and it was nice. I own a Analogman BicompRossor, it was two compressors in one pedal.
    One side was a Ross and the other side was a Orange Squeezer.
    They are really good pedals.
    My friend had a Ego boost in his board then he played through the Cali76 on my board and he said, in his opinion it smoked his Ego boost.
    It was $350 landed at my door. I bought a limited edition Purple colored one.
    IMO its the best compressor I've ever played through. I leave it on 90% of the time when I'm gigging. Johnny Hiland uses it. Good enough for Johnny then it's good enough for me.

Peace to all.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021 at 3:15 PM
    ZackyDog, Henry and G5422T like this.
  19. Gold Penguin

Gold Penguin Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Long Island, New York

Chicken pickin' Brent Mason uses a Wampler Ego boost.
    Johnny Hiland uses the Origin Effects Cali76.
    I am not nor will I ever be 8n those fellas league
    but I own a Cali76 and IMO its the best sounding and feeling
    compressor I've ever owned.

Stay well.

20. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Lot's of great info, experiences, and a variety of compressors disussed.

I appreciate all the input.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.