Comparison of Two newer Anniversary Models

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by journeyman, Jul 30, 2020.

1. journeyman

journeyman Gretschie

Aug 20, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario
    Long post warning

I took some time yesterday to goof off and drive north of the city to a store that I knew had some pro-line Gretsches in stock. I was interested in the 6118LTD Anniversary and the 6118T-60 Vintage Select. I must say, in my opinion Gretsch really hit it out of the ballpark with both of these models.

Both guitars have trestle bracing and very comfortable C necks. The Gretsch website says U necks, but no way, they are C and felt great; not too skinny and not too fat. Both guitars are very responsive and light feeling. I say 'light feeling' because I don't know the weight and the Gretsch site is often off on such details. The 6118-60 VS feels a tiny bit lighter, but if so, it can't be much; maybe just the difference in weight between the single coils and Filter'trons and the tuners.

The 6118T-60 is 'inspired by' the 1960 vintage model 6118, so it's not intended to be an exact replica. It does however, have a decidedly vintage feel; an openness and lightness that is very similar to my old 1960 Anniversary conversion, as if the wood had been drying for many years. It has TV Jones Hilo'tron pickups, and I confirmed with the good folks at TV Jones that they are in fact, TV HTs with the Hilo'tron name; the same pickup. I've used these for years and they are just about my favourite pickups. My one complaint is that, like the 1960 models, the neck pickup is set back towards the bridge about an inch from the standard position. I'm pretty sure though, that if the neck pickup was reversed so the pole screws faced the neck instead of the bridge, it would sound like the standard placement does. I confirmed this with my Annie conversion. I couldn't hear a difference between the pickup screws positioned towards the neck before and after moving the whole pickup closer to the neck. Still, the mind can be a terrible thing, and it was never a great idea.

It has the mud switch, which I simply don't use or convert to a tone pot. Some people like that kind of thing, so it's there for those folks. It has pins on the Bigsby; some prefer the string through style. I would have preferred an ebony fingerboard, but that's a minor detail; rosewood is just fine. It has the Space Control bridge saddle; not my preference, but I always change to a Tru Arc Serpentune anyway.
    https://gretschguitars.com/gear/fam...nniversary-hollow-body-with-bigsby/2401201871

The 6118LTD (Limited Edition) is equally as responsive, but with perhaps a more modern feel. The Filter'trons provide a beefier sound; you could say it is a more versatile instrument, and the features put it in a more 'modern' camp, as adverse to 'vintage'. The Gotoh locking tuners are a welcome choice over the bulkier Sperzels and I prefer them to the Schallers too. I have Gotoh vintage style open back tuners on my two old Annies and the tolerances are very tight. I'm assuming these locking tuners meet the same standards. Other features that fit into my wish list are ebony fingerboard and the tone pot circuitry. It has the string-through Bigsby that some people prefer to the standard pins; one more feature putting it in the 'modern' camp. I'm good with both. The rocking bar bridge is fine with me, and really sounds great on this guitar.

My first reaction to the gold top with deep wine back and sides (Gretsch calls it Dark Cherry Metallic) was negative, but the more I played the guitar the more the colour scheme grew on me; now I'm a fan. It's a break from the Gretsch Annie tradition, but it's a modern guitar, so why the heck not. The body design (16" X 2 1/2") with trestle bracing and Filter'trons keep one foot in tradition.

My complaints? Artificial (Tusk?) nut and strap locks instead of the Gretsch knurled strap buttons, at least that's what was on the one in the store. Then again, some folks like strap locks, so it could be a plus. I might be inclined to see what capacitor value they used on the tone pot as I wasn't real fond of the taper and it sounded a bit honky at the lower range. I think I felt a slight indent at the top of the range, so it might have a no-load tone pot, which is a plus.
    https://gretschguitars.com/gear/fam...-ltd-135th-anniversary-with-bigsby/2401103844

Both models are really outstanding and among the best that Gretsch has released to date. One could argue that some of the post Fender era guitars were constructed a bit on the heavy side, or at least some models felt like that. Both of these models have a wonderful openness and respond to the player's dynamics and subtle articulations. Neither guitar feels heavy or tight.

For anyone thinking of one of these, the choice is between a modern guitar with all the versatility and features offered by the 6118LTD, or a more vintage inspired instrument. The 6118T-60 really does feel like a vintage guitar, but without the rattles and quirks of a 60 year old instrument. They are different enough to warrant owning both. Being newer models, they are priced accordingly, but compared to competitor's prices, they're a great deal considering the quality and features. I'll be keeping an eye out for after market deals down the road, unless of course, everything suddenly goes back to normal and the work returns. What better way to celebrate than with a couple of new Gretsches?

2. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Best of luck when it's trigger time.

The present day Gretsch line up is outstanding IMO. Something for about everyone.

I had a 6120-1959LTV. It was by far the best Gretsch that I've ever been around or owned, in every way.

The only reason that I sold it was that I purchased a 6120-59QM-LTD. It's basically a LTV with a quilted top, and as perfect as the LTV was in every way.

I kept both for almost a year, and decided to trade the LTV for a Phoenix, just to have some Gretsch variety.

What you're finding out with your Annie hunt seems to be what my experience has been. Gretsch is building some stellar guitars.

Again, best of luck with your hunt. Sure is fun, ain't it

3. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Thanks for the review. My guess is the Hilotrons sound much more open, Filtertrons more compressed. Gretsch does not post weight, which is good because each guitar has its own weight and I have seen variations in the exact same model up to 1.5lbs.

4. journeyman

journeyman Gretschie

Aug 20, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario
    I just realized that I posted in the vintage section by mistake. If the moderator would care to move it to the Gretsch Guitars section, that would be appreciated.

thunder58 likes this.
  5. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Do you mean the " Guitar and gear review "

6. journeyman

journeyman Gretschie

Aug 20, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario
    No, I meant 'The Gretsch Discussion Forum" The next one up from this vintage discussion forum. Thanks.

7. JT19

JT19 Gretschie

Nov 28, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Nice comparison! I'm not in the market for either one, but still enjoyed the read!

8. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Synchromatic

Oct 22, 2015
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.