CME keeps missing the mark with me. (FSR Debbie Downer thread)

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by YaDaddy, Aug 5, 2020.

1. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    Cheap Jets are my thing, to the tune of 15 and counting. I love them so and they do such good in my life. Probably should’ve just bought 2 or 3 really expensive Jets and spent more time playing, but I don’t really have any free time. The return to guitars ended up being a hunting, collecting, refurbishing and upgrading hobby more so than a playing one (much to my chagrin). A few really expensive Jets would not have given me the same enjoyment as a pile of Chinese Electromatic Gretsch Jets with a light sprinkling of Koreans thrown in for good measure.
    With this in mind you know that I eagerly await the FSR Electromatics that show up every year or so, but I gotta say CME has been missing the mark with their past couple of runs. The last double jet in broadway jade was a disappointment and I can say that with authority, because I own one! Amazing color, but double jets stink. I don’t understand why I have 4 of them and my favorite jet to play is a G5655T-CB. That broadway jade jet as a single cut would’ve been a home run with sparks raining down from the lights and an instant contender for the #1 spot in the herd, but nooooooo they made it a crappy DJ.

So yesterday i’m scrolling up my Reverb feed as I am prone to doing about 57 times a day and I see these roll by.

3EC7D630-E0CE-4D34-9FB0-7FFE6726F9AD.jpeg F5EC917C-D899-4B77-B8B8-9AC89E7EF2DC.jpeg C744E71E-719B-4A92-8778-6AB0B0E5F392.jpeg 2D630B93-2CCB-4AA0-8A34-DB9B075DA9A0.jpeg

At first I was like Oh God CME did the DJ thing again, ugh!...but then I saw the the single cuts and I was giddy with excitement! The daphne and gold was kinda meh to me, but I thought the pink shell and chrome was a winner! Hours pass and I didn’t even make it to bedtime before my initial enthusiasm started to fade. The pink single cut looks the best, but I don’t really want a pink guitar. The daphne blue would look so much better with chrome hardware, but I don’t really want a light blue guitar. An Olympic or aged white would’ve been more welcomed if you had to do a light color. I would’ve suggested a green sparkle or champagne. Actually, a single cut Broadway jade would’ve been cliff jumping perfection. Or be still my beating heart...or orange sparkle with a black back!!!

Either way, I don’t really have 500 bucks for them to sit on for 6-12 months while there are still 7-8 jets from the 2012-18 era that I’m still trying to acquire, so I’m definitely not pre-ordering. The previous broadway jade took forever to finally hit the states.

The more I think about it the most enticing thing to do is get a daphne blue/gold and then buy a Cadillac green or black G5230T to swap all the hardware with. That would be the most interesting idea to me, but I’m not really excited about having a light blue guitar even with the better looking blue and chrome combo.

Don’t get me wrong...these are undoubtedly beautiful Jets, not midnight sapphire and gold beautiful, but they’re pretty amazing for fruity colored guitars. They just don’t do it for me.

Really glad to see that they still make single cuts, but even with that..this round is a big ole MEH for me. When will these people start checking with me before the come up with these?

Come on CME do a single cut in Broadway Jade like these!!!

2. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    Forgot to mention how poorly I think the big block inlays work on these. Hump block or thumbnail would’ve been much better.

toddfan, Anacharsis, Jeff67 and 2 others like this.
  3. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    You found yourself a fun guitar related hobby, well done.

4. mrcoffee23

mrcoffee23 Gretschie

Sep 23, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    I own a 2013 single cut (white/chrome) and a 2019 surf green/gold dj with HS filters, and really do like both. However, one is older and one is newer but a bit 'elevated' of a model. Apparently the surf green still gets rosewood fretboard, even though all the other Chinese are coming with indian laurel.

I'm into shell pink, but don't see how that is better than my 5436 in white--especially if the quality is suspect.

Are the new models back to rosewood, or still IL?

5. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Agreed ;)

toddfan and Anacharsis like this.
  6. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    I'm not crazy about pastel colors. If I want it blue, I want it BLUE. If I want it pink, I want it PINK. Like these...

Blue Superbird.jpg Panther Pink Superbird.jpg

I also love Superbirds...;)

7. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Agreed:)

Anacharsis likes this.
  8. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    Forgot to mention this too: Black Walnut fretboard on the neck is a welcome change. I friggin' hate Laurel wood.

Groutsch, Jeff67 and GlenP like this.
  9. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    I'm digging on those double jets but I think they should have put an extra big block on the first fret. Because I like DJs and big blocks. Complete opposite. But also, I think they should have put an ebony fretboard on there with 24 frets.

10. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    I'm with you...BE THE COLOR!

I don't know about the pink, but that blue would've blown my kilt WAAAAAAY UP!

wabash slim and Jeff67 like this.
  11. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    THIS^^^^^^^^^^^

My biggest regret on the 5220s is that missing block in the first position. Took me a while to realize it was missing, but once I saw it I couldn't unsee it. Bugs the krap out of me now.

HypotenusLuvTriangle and Jeff67 like this.
  12. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Maybe you should give CME some feedback about your ideas and they will incorporate that into their next batch of FSR models.

the G5655T-CB is not really a jet, same shape but construction is more of a semi hollow maple with spruce center block but with no f holes. The current models G5655T are single cut Center Block Jr size with f holes, you might enjoy one of those, with more color options, but not as cheap as the Jets.

13. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    Oh we have spoken more than once.

I like to think that I am the reason you are seeing single cut jets up there.

I know my sweetwater rep has got to be pretty tired of me bugging them with my ideas for FSRs complete with mocked up graphics of what I want them to do.

Groutsch and GlenP like this.
  14. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Yeah! Like maybe an Electromatic Billy Bo in Plum Crazy or Crown Royal Purple with case and jack plate...;)

Although, I'd be just as happy with whichever shade of red it is that Gretsch puts on 'em.:)

15. aFriendbFrosty

aFriendbFrosty Electromatic

May 22, 2020
    West Coast
    I think the shell pink looks better on the double cut, but personally would rather have the single cut.
    Though, the single cut is screaming for a bigsby and tort plastics:D

They're both neat... just not wowing me.
    I say this as someone who has a 5220 and 5222, so I know how awesome they both are and I'm perfectly happy with the hardtail on both.

16. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    Firebird Red with a Black back.

17. mrcoffee23

mrcoffee23 Gretschie

Sep 23, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    Gimme a Billy Bo Electro with Bigsby. White, please.

thunder58 and Jeff67 like this.
  18. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    I thought that was the one, but wasn't sure.

19. Groutsch

Groutsch Gretschie

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    @YaDaddy I'm curious as to whether you dislike all double-cut guitars, or just Double Jets?

20. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    Also included in the herd: Parker Nitefly, Danelectro 59NOS, Yamaha RS502T and RS720B. All double cuts.

It's a feel thing.

My Gretsch journey began when I strapped on a Black 5230T at a GC and gave it a strum. It was one of those "Oh krap this is gonna be expensive" moments. Of course I would've saved so much money if I had just bought that guitar and been done with it. Still trying to land that particular model/color 20+ fiddles later.
    A Gretsch DJ just doesn't have the same feel as a Single. That missing piece of the body is a big part of it for me, so not a double cut thing...just a double Jet thing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.