Cleaning the pots on a G5220 Electromatic Jet

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by flux1968, Oct 27, 2021.

1. flux1968

flux1968 Newbie

Oct 27, 2021
    New York City
    Recently, my G5220 has been having issues where the pickup selector is scratchy when I change selections and the tone and all (master and pickup) volume controls go in and out sometimes losing sound altogether. It's been suggested that I clean the pots with Deoxit but I'm a bit of a newbie and I'm not sure how to do this.

Do I have to remove the pots from the body? Where on the pots do I spray the Deoxit?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    You don't need to remove the pots, @flux1968.

Open the pot trapdoor and for each pot :
    - spreay your cleaner gently (= not too much, do not flood) through the opening over the 3 lugs
    - turn back and forward 5-10 times

You can do the same for the master volume and the PU selector.

A+!

section2, MarkLo and flux1968 like this.
  3. Gregor

Gregor Country Gent

Welcome to the forum @flux1968. You're in the right place for your question. Do exactly as @hcsterg says above. I had a somewhat similar problem with the same guitar. Removed the cover on the back, sprayed DeOxit and never had a problem since. You'll probably only have to do it one time. Good luck. Very nice guitar by the way.

MarkLo and flux1968 like this.
  4. flux1968

flux1968 Newbie

Oct 27, 2021
    New York City
    Spraying the pots with Deoxit worked! Thanks all.

section2 and MarkLo like this.
  5. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    From what you describe, it's more like a pickup selector issue. They are open contact and have a tendency to get debris in them. I had this recently with my 6119 and turned it upside down and pointed some Deoxit at the switch contacts while flipping it back and forth. But you can just open your access door to the switch and clean that jobbie. Nothing wrong with cleaning pots, but it does tend to wash out the damping grease on the shaft and you can find that it becomes easier to turn. Some people like that, but I like dampened pots better.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.