Cleaned up after a long week in the studio and took a pic of my old Gretsch!

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by amp360, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Landshark2020

Landshark2020 Gretschie

Sep 4, 2020
    LOL, no studio is complete without a tube testing station!
    You are one lucky soul.

2. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    there’s a crazy story behind that. A friend of mine’s father bought a building that was an old drugstore in Massachusetts. This was in the basement. The weird thing is my uncle (who I really don’t know that well) owned this drugstore in the early 1980s. He had bought the store from someone else and it obviously was in the basement when he bought and sold the business. Basically my friend is in the antiques business. She gave this to me, but I had to get it to Maryland. When it came it had the keys in it. I opened it up and it was full of NOS tubes,

I should probably put it somewhere else but all my amps and tube pres/compressors are in here and I actually do use it now and again. Plus it’s a good place to store tubes.

I always thought GT should make these for their big dealers or that an old one would be cool in a vintage guitar store.

Wavey, loudnlousy and new6659 like this.
  3. Gregor

Gregor Country Gent

4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I seriously envy you.

amp360 likes this.
  5. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    That's cool, love the soldano, and what is the green faced amp in the first picture, can't quite see the name.

6. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    Matchless

Stefan87 likes this.
  7. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    I thought it was, I would love a DC30 or even a head.

8. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Firenze, Italy
    I'll be honest.
    From a vintage lover like you are, I'd have expected at least a 1" 8 tracks Studer somewhere... ;)
    (Just joking. I wish I could have 1/10 of what's on the pictures :))

9. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    I have an 8 track Otari but it’s not in the photo. Tape is nice sometimes but honestly, I prefer to use ProTools with nice converters, pres and outboard and mix through my console.

ldyore and stiv like this.
  10. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    they’re great amps but I like the Top Hat better and it was $649 at Guitar Center (used).

My whole studio build cost about $5000, and that includes putting in a bathroom where there was no bathroom, furniture and the console. I did everything myself ( plumbing, electrical, concrete, wiring, etc… and it took about a year. That includes recapping/modding the console ( rebuilt power supplies, vintage Neve transformers on the output/subgroup sections, etc…..). The whole place is on its own electrical meter (quiet and easy at tax time). If you have some extra space it’s a great and fun/frustrating thing to do.

Most of my gear I bought over a long period of time. I’m not sure how interested people here are in recording but I can tell you if it’s way easier to work fast and get good results when you have a space you like to work in. I just did roughs for a soundalike I’m doing for a tv program and tracking (myself, another guitar player and a drummer) took about 2.5 hours. Rough was off the next day with no eq and a tiny bit of processing. That’s really why I built this place.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    new6659, ldyore and Stefan87 like this.
  11. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Wow that is amazing that you built it all yourself, i would love even a room to have all my gear out, well done as you have done a great job on it all.

Will have to look up the top hat amps, can't say i have heard of them.

12. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    The bathroom was kind of an afterthought but basically I made it out of all the wood I had left. I made the countertop out of the leftover concrete (184 80lb bags mixed by hand to do the floor). The sink was already in the building when I bought it (upstairs is retail). I do use the little speakers in there to get some reverb sometimes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I bought the building there was a lot of water down there along with mold and all kinds of bad things. Now I have a workshop with all my tools, the bathroom and the studio. Beats working from home.

[​IMG]

Here's some of the before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the old paneling thats now on the walls was all over down there:

[​IMG]

13. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    @amp360 That is really well done, I love the bathroom, it would be something I'd have in a house.
    The concrete benchtops are a cool idea, my brother did one for the BBQ area at my parents house, easier then we thought.

14. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    yeah my goal was to make a space I would like to work in every day but also have a cool, creative and fun space people would be comfortable making music. These days there’s so much wrong information on recording and especially on rooms, gear, etc… I’m really happy with the way it turned out and how everything sounds.

15. ldyore

ldyore Electromatic

Jan 22, 2014
    Alabama
    I wanna read an article on you making the studio, and what you do there. It looks like you are a pretty handy luthier also. I have a room in my home I use as my studio, but nothing like what you have. I’m fascinated by what you have done. Are there YouTube videos, or some other record of how you went about building that recording palace? I see mounted records on the wall, did those come from you, your studio or both? More questions than I should take up space here?

Dumbthumbs likes this.
  16. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    All the things are mine. I don’t have an article but I took a lot of photos.

if people here are interested I could make a thread but I’m not sure what sub forum it would go in.

ldyore and Electrosynthesis like this.
  17. ldyore

ldyore Electromatic

Jan 22, 2014
    Alabama
    Well, I’m interested. What about the records on the wall? Platinum runs or what? Don’t know how to post it here, but maybe someone else does. Maybe a YouTube narrated slide show? Maybe also post some recordings done there. You might try using “Band Camp” to post the music. Post it and they will come (sorry, had to steal a Field of Dreams line).

18. Dumbthumbs

Dumbthumbs Gretschie

Nov 28, 2020
    New Mexico
    I second the motion. How about a mini-doc? A high order show-and-tell narrated slideshow. That's really impressive especially because you hammered it all together.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.