Cicadas. Anyone seeing any?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by guitarfarm, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Man, even cicada discussions wind up as a "music was better back in the day" discussion. :(

Guitar forums were way better back in the day, when we talked about guitar and how much we love music, rather than complain about music. :p

J Bird, sgarnett and Sabato like this.
  2. buzzanderson

buzzanderson Gretschie

Jan 19, 2015
    Centreville, VA
    Some of you guys posted from Northern Virginia within the last few days saying you've hardly seen any. We're in Northern Virginia, too (Centreville) and have had kabillions of them emerge from the shady ground in our back yard. Many have shed their skins on our tree trunks, wooden fence and screens. They've been making an enormous cacophony for about ten days now throughout the neighborhood and entire area, just like they did seventeen years ago. They've been flying all around banging into me when I'm outside. Some friends have a home in a new community nearby without many cicadas. Development and a lack of mature trees may have kept their numbers down. Their noise is winding down; I suspect their cycle is about to start over.

Henry and Sabato like this.
  3. Bob Perrone

Bob Perrone Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    allentown, pa
    We got 'em in PA big time!

4. Fredo

Fredo Synchromatic

Jan 18, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    Randos: Do you live here?
    Me: Yes.
    Randos: Well, we're you neighbors behind you, and we've been hearing this sound. We can't figure out where it's coming from.
    Me: It's the cicadas.
    Randos: [blank facial expressions]
    Me: It's the seventeen year cicadas. Once they're gone you won't hear them for another seventeen years.
    Randos: [continued blank facial expressions]

Randy99CL and Sabato like this.
  5. senojnad

senojnad Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2008
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    "We got 'em in PA big time!".......

Interesting -- Emmaus area, nothing (yet). Lehigh Valley, Central Eastern PA

6. Dave Murray

Dave Murray Gretschie

Feb 27, 2016
    Indio, CA
    In 2003 I rode my Harley-Davidson Soft Tail from California to Milwaukee to attend the 100th Anniversary celebration of the HD Motor Co. I stopped for a night in Amarillo, Texas (yee ha!), and stayed in a motel directly next to the HD dealership (a coincidence). I walked up the street that was lined with trees, to go to a buffet restaurant. The trees were FULL of very loud cidadas. I didn't eat any of them, but their sound was deafening . . . it even drown out my Gretsch played through a Marshall at full volume. In 2019 I made a similar ride to Indianapolis . . . no cicadas in Amarillo that time, but the buffet had better food that time.

Sabato likes this.
  7. Dave Murray

Dave Murray Gretschie

Feb 27, 2016
    Indio, CA
    You wanna see cicadas? Here's a good video:
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cicadas-brood-x-press-flight-biden-europe-trip/

Randy99CL likes this.
  8. gretsch-to-go

gretsch-to-go Gretschie

Oct 2, 2019
    Palm Coast, FL
    Rural FL, they're all over the place, making that damn noise.

9. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Interesting map. Looks like here in Taxachusetts we're good until 2025.
    [​IMG]

Henry likes this.
  10. guitarfarm

guitarfarm Country Gent

I was just in Warrenton today and I didn't see a single one!

11. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Maine and Cape Cod have an insect problem that is more than just noisy:
    [​IMG]
    The browntail moth caterpillar has tiny poisonous hairs that cause dermatitis similar to poison ivy on sensitive individuals. People may develop dermatitis from direct contact with the caterpillar or indirectly from contact with airborne hairs.

12. RMHouston

RMHouston Newbie

Jul 3, 2017
    WASHINGTON DC
    I'm new to the forum. They are quite thick around upper WDC. I was in the Rockville, Ellicott City, Catonsville, MD area last week and they were thick there and in Fairfax VA yesterday and they are present there too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.