Cicadas. Anyone seeing any?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by guitarfarm, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Fredo

Fredo Synchromatic

Jan 18, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    I'm in north Georgia mountains, where we heard cicadas for about a month. They sound like a hovering alien spacecraft. Seventeen years ago I heard nothing.

2. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    They started emerging ~3-4 weeks ago, they've been in full swarm mode for at least the last week here in SW Ohio.

3. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    No trees, no Cicadas…

I love the sound, feels like home when I hear them. Also I understand they make good eating. Perhaps a good Pizza topping even?

mrfixitmi, Henry and Sabato like this.
  4. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Our anual sound fest hasn't started yet.

Usually starts by the last week in June. By the 4th of July, it's volume level is at 11.

Sabato likes this.
  5. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Seems that they all moved over to Germany.

6. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    The grandparents of BroodX sang to Dylan at Princeton in 1970

or maybe you're up for dessert:
    upload_2021-6-9_14-26-19.jpeg

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  7. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin, US
    Around here the annual Lake Fly hatch on Lake Winnebago is the big bug deal. Thousands hatch, cover the side of houses, cars and anything nearby. If squished (or hit by your windshield) it can take a power washer to clear the innards off. They are essential for the sturgeon population but one is wise to stay clear if you can. Unsuspecting people on motorcycles and bicycles are a sad thing during those 10 days.

Sabato likes this.
  8. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    WebMD warning:
    If you're allergic to shellfish, though, you may want to avoid those dishes, the FDA says. “Yep! We have to say it! Don't eat #cicadas if you're allergic to seafood as these insects share a family relation to shrimp and lobsters,” the FDA posted on Twitter on Wednesday.

Ricochet likes this.
  9. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    I found them

E2FA27A7-D487-4CA4-820E-01D0F18C2184.jpeg

10. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Country Gent

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    Can you share the recording with us?!

JeffreyLeePierre and Flouswa like this.
  11. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

I haven't seen any here in Western PA yet, but certainly heard enough last week while watching gold on TV, that was annoying! I'm hoping to avoid it here again, they gross me out. Right up there with tent worms.

12. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I will later this year. I'm waiting for a piano player to record a nice rocking piano track and then I'll mix it.
    During the covid lock down I was able to complete 40 of my originals. They are ready for mastering and then I will be releasing the stuff. Many different styles so I will be grouping them by category. I grew up during a time when you could put a song like Helter Skelter on the same album with a song like Blackbird. I wish it was like that these days. You really can't get away with that sort of thing these days and expect to get someone to market it for you.
    Thanks for asking. I can't wait to have you guys hear some of my stuff...:D.

13. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Synchromatic

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    Have you heard of the Space Lady? She's a trip, outsider artist, originally from Haight-Ashbury. I guess she's still hanging in there...
    her version of Stairway to Heaven at 4:00...

14. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    No never heard of her until now. She may be weird but she's too tall to be a real alien...:D.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  15. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Wow, amazing statement.
    I had not noticed, but I'm sure you know that from experience.
    Which actually is another symptom about what's going wrong with the music industry.

Not even independent labels/companies would do so?

16. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I think that's why there isn't any so called super acts these days - too many one trick ponies where every album sounds very much the same. There are some exceptions but that's not the norm today. No acts are allowed to change from album to album like in years past. If they to their label will often drop them. Elton John, The Beatles, etc. - Love them or hate them they kept moving in different musical directions and that's what kept their music fresh and new sounding.
    You are right about the music industry - not much going on in the main stream but there is plenty of good stuff out there that most of us don't get to hear. The music industry has a one track mind - Rap, Hip Hop, Girly Boy Bands, and lame Country music. Good Rock and Pop music has taken a back seat to it.
    Are artists can do is keep trying new ideas and keep making music.
    It's very hard for song writers and artists these days.

17. Emmett

Emmett Gretschie

Feb 25, 2013
    New York / Iowa
    I was visiting College Park MD near the university about two weeks ago and the noise from the cicadas was unreal. It reminded me of the sound of a Martian attack in the movies. They were everywhere but once it cooled off and then rained - they disappeared.

18. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

I think I really, really like you. Lol

19. amp360

amp360 Gretschie

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    We have had them in md

20. amp360

amp360 Gretschie

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    I’m in Potomac (I have friends in Dundalk) and we have them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.