Cicadas. Anyone seeing any?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by guitarfarm, Jun 8, 2021.

1. guitarfarm

guitarfarm Country Gent

I'm just outside Northern Virginia and, so far, I haven't seen anything yet. 17 years ago they were everywhere. They were coming out of the greens on the golf course and filling the strainer baskets in my pool. Here we are in the heat of June and I can't help but wonder where they all are?

Dave Murray likes this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Where ever they are ....keep'em there :eek:

3. mrcoffee23

mrcoffee23 Gretschie

Sep 23, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    I'm in the western part of VA and saw one so far. I understand they only migrate some 50 yards or something when they are alive, so they don't spread quickly to new areas.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  4. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    When I was a teenager we lived on farmland in Ohio when a cicada bloom took place. Incredibly noisy, it was hard to believe how loud one bug can be but a hundred at once, wow, it could be hard to sleep.

The timing was perfect as that same year I got my first new BB gun and yeah, I lost count. I will always appreciate that bug for allowing me to practice enough to become an excellent shot.

5. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    They’ve gone the way of the lightning bugs:( Only I’m sad about the lightning bugs.

I grew up in Las Vegas and the sound of cicada in the summer used to be insane.
    I’ve heard people blame weed killer but I’m not sure anyone knows really.

6. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Not yet, thankfully. Haven't seen any; even better, haven't heard any.

Brood X! Great band name!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  7. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    That is weird, NOVA's not really a new area for them. I was living in Fairfax last time they came out (2004) and yeah - they were everywhere! I wonder what happened ...

Annoying little buggers, but harmless. Can't say I miss 'em!

8. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    A few weeks ago on PBS they had an interesting pre-bloom (is bloom the right word?) report on them and what to expect.
    More recently I saw something that said that colder-than-normal temperatures in the NE has postponed the critter explosion. Coming soon??

Dave Murray likes this.
  9. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    I had to call it quits with mine. My wife was getting suspicious.

Hammerhead, Henry and blueruins like this.
  10. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Ugh I can't imagine living through a major explosion, I really don't like bugs.

Archtops likes this.
  11. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I’m in Annapolis for the week. They are everywhere. Millions of them. Beautiful. But loud

12. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Nothin down here in GA. Been wondering….

13. O Riley

O Riley Gretschie

Yep, Knoxville, Tennessee. Loud as all get out fer sure.
    I guess ya sorrta gotta get used to it though.
    Ya cain't do notten bout it any ol who...

14. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Most of Virginia won't see anything this year, as Brood X in Virginia is mainly in your neck of the woods in only a few counties. The states most affected this year are Indiana, western Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maryland and east Tennessee.

My county in TN is home to one of the 13-year broods... ours is due in 2024. I've already seen a few annual cicadas though, which are much larger than the 13 or 17-year varieties.

15. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    It’s been 55 years since I’ve seen em

16. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

Nothing compares with fly fishing during a cicada hatch. Well, salmon flies, grasshoppers and brown drakes are kind of close, but not quite. They are clumsy flyers and often end up in the water. Trout love them, but are still wary of an artificial fly. They will drift downstream with their open mouth examining whether the fly is truly floating dead drift. Mustering the patience to wait for their mouth to close, all while your adrenaline is pumping, is quite the test.

17. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    There isn't any in my section of Dundalk Maryland but about 15 minutes from me they are all over the place. Super noisy.
    Sunday I took my portable DVD recorder, a few mikes and recorded them to use on a song I recently recorded. It has nothing to do with Cicadas. It's called Space Lady In A Pickup Truck and yes it's rockabilly country. I ran the Cicadas recording through RX 7, altering frequencies and I have turned it into a spaceship hovering over a field. Along with some 50's / 60s sound effects it's turned out to be really cool. I'd been looking for a way to do it. I drove to a wooded area last week, heard the sound of the Cicadas and right away I realized it would work for me...:D.
    Anyway it's a lot cooler creating an effect when you can. I had a lot of fun doing it.

18. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    I live on 11 acres that should be screaming right now. This year I’ve been too overloaded with work to spend any time outside when not mowing, so I really can’t say if they are here or not.

19. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Can't say I'm disappointed they aren't around in CA.

Henry likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.