Chris Stapleton Princeton

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by roadjunkie, Jun 18, 2021.

1. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    Yeah I know I posted these same pics in another thread but I'm here to elaborate a bit. To start off is it worth the money both yes and no. Yes it is wonderful absolutely. Any review where they wax poetic they are not pulling you around by the short hairs. The amp delivered as advertised.

I could have Allen build one and saved $$$$$400 bills in the process and be short an amp cover and a few goodies and been very happy.

I don't play the name games. I respect Chris Stapleton but I don't need his name on this amp but I would thank him for having Fender reissue this Princeton. As the same with my Setzer. Jeff Beck and if I ever get my RRH.

Did I spend too much? Maybe! Do I regret it? Not so far.

Attached Files:

Outlaw, KelvinS1965, T Bone and 3 others like this.
  2. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Great amps. I've never heard anyone who's played one say they didn't like it. I would have bought one instead of my PRRI w/12" Alnico Cream, but I really wanted onboard reverb. If this amp had onboard reverb (I know the brown amps did not), it would be a no-brainer for me.

Yes, Allens are fantastic- I almost went that route, several times.

Did you pay too much? Only you can answer that, and besides you didn't tell us what you paid! LOL

Congrats and enjoy!

3. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    Believe it or not I do have self governing rules in life no matter how much they trip my butt up. First off I bought this amp because they P'O me at work it was reasoning to keep me from walking off the job. Lame reason but it worked. There's a price to pay.
    You do need an attenuator for this amp. 15 watts can be loud. I picked a 50 watt attenuator off delisle and it was worth it plus it covers my butt with the Allen. So far no tone suckage as far as I can tell.

ruger9 likes this.
  4. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    I'm curious about the cream alnico I have a hankering for them.

Awhile back MF had a scratch n' dent CS for about 1200 but I passed.

5. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Well, I've only ever heard the Cream Alnico in my PRRI, but it's certainly wonderful in that amp. I would not hesitate to try one in any amp I was speaker swapping on (I even plugged the PRRi cab into my Hot Cat... I know it's not 1:1 because of the different cabs, but it too sounded great).

6. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    IMHO, that’s probably the best amp in Fender’s current lineup.

pmac11, roadjunkie and ruger9 like this.
  7. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Congrats, glad you're enjoying it.

roadjunkie likes this.
  8. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Congrats...there was a used one popped up during the lock down and my wife would certainly have noticed the delivery. ;) It was about £600 less than new, so I was tempted as I have Tweed Champ clone and a '64 Custom Deluxe reverb, so I'm missing a Princeton and a Brown faced amp.

I missed my chance, but glad you didn't, enjoy. :)

roadjunkie likes this.
  9. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    I would concur. yet somewhat their pricing is living off Leo's legacy which seems to command $200 for their handwire. Not just This Princeton but the tweeds.
    I almost went with the Tremor BTW

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  10. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    My brother and I each picked up a Stapleton Princeton in an open box deal. I can't distinguish its sound from my blackface Princeton save for the slightly thicker brown sound similar,, in my perception to my 1962 Tremolux.

Really a great amp although we prefer alnico so the Eminence speaker is already out in one for a Vox blue speaker and I don't know yet what I'll put into mine.

Mine is in Spain right now and through Brexit response gymnastics it's going to the UK. But coming from USA the amps are 110v. I am not expecting the power transformer to be multivoltage but it's worth dealing with the step down transformer since I got mine scratch and dent for £1000 less than the UK price (although I'll lose some about £100 of this with shipping logistics).

ruger9 likes this.
  11. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    The sound is essentially identical. I’ve played both and can’t detect any difference in either sound or response.

I have a unique privilege, in that I probably am the geographically closest G-T member to Winfield Thomas (excluding Winnie himself), so I’ve played pretty much every model that Winnie currently builds, and a few of his experiments. I got to play the prototype Tremor and mine is the first production item off of Winnie’s vast Tremor assembly line.

One thing I learned in all of this was the fact that a Princeton is a cathodyne phase inverter, which adds no gain, as opposed to the Deluxe Reverb, which has a long-tailed phase inverter, which adds gain at the PI stage. The circuit for the Brownface Princeton is quite similar to the Tweed Vibrolux, but the signal path is slightly different.

As I understand it, the power section of the Princeton has changed very little (if at all) between the Brownface and Blackface eras. It’s a unique spot in Fender’s lineup, which is a great bridge between the single-ended Champ and the higher gain Deluxe. Princetons are not, by their character, high-gain screechers, but they can create a pleasant overdriven sound at a reasonable volume. I love the “plateau” between clean and broken up, and one characteristic shared by my favorite amps is a fairly broad plateau, which allows me to straddle that line easily.

Hey, I’m a freak! (Just confirming what all of you think when you meet together to plot against me.) :) I love amps and find them far more fascinating than guitars. Amps, guitars and effects keep my twisted mind busy like nothing else in this world, and are the perfect counterbalance to the 1s and 0s of my workweek. If I were to come into big money, there are a couple of guitars I might add to my collection, but I promise you that there would be any number of amps added to my collection.

I’m thrilled to see Fender venturing into Brownface RIs, and hope that they see fit to do a few more. The original Vibroverb RI from the early ‘90s was a Brownface circuit, as was the Custom Vibrolux they built for years. (I have heard that these used the same circuit board.) A Brownface Deluxe, or the holiest of grails, a Brownface Showman, would be awesome.

Rmccamey and blueruins like this.
  12. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    One I did earlier. I'll be starting on the 6g2 as soon as it arrives, but this'll do for now.

P1130299 (2).JPG

13. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    How does a Strat sound through that amp?

14. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I voiced the amp to sound more Brownface than black; it seems to respond best to a low wind pickup set. The mid scoop of the pickups balances the mids-forward amp tone; together they have a "chewy" clean that makes a Blackface sound a bit sterile.

My Jet with T-Armonds is a bit too thick, and seems to work better with my regular Blackface PR.

ruger9 likes this.
  15. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Do you actually run it with the bass off?

16. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Sounds like a good combination.

17. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I'm using the mids knob on the back to fill out the bottom end.

ruger9 likes this.
  18. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    I wasn't really sure how alnico would fit in this fender but I just might pickup an cream alnico for the Allen which I know it will fit. If it works with the Stapleton then so be it.

ruger9 likes this.
  19. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    The Celestion Blue we put in has less of a profile than the Eminence. We were trying to work out exactly what model of Eminence the CS speaker is for eBay purposes, but we were unsuccessful in pinning down the exact speaker model. IMG_20210622_111036420.jpg

20. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    The Cream Alnico is amazing in the PRRI.... IDK how much more low end the brown circuit has, but depending on that, the Gold or Blue MIGHT be a better choice (or maybe not... the Cream is an excellent speaker)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.