Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Choosing a 15w tube amp to match my 6128T

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by technomouse, Apr 20, 2017.

1. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    In this case, the Vox. The Blues Junior is a tad dark and the breakup isn't so nice to me. Vox sings better.

2. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Oh man, I'm just NOT believing this. Brain never even came out of your mouth this time.

blueruins likes this.
  3. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

I keep thinking I want another amp to replace my AC15. I've tried quite a few, but always go back to the Vox.

The Blues Junior just seemed a bit reigned in, to me. Kind of like a lot of the sound was still in the box, struggling to get out. I upgraded the output transformer and it was a lot better, but still didn't have the 'air' that I wanted.

Just to throw something else in the mix: I quite liked the Tiny Terror as a cheaper RAWK'N'ROLL!!!! alternative, but it didn't do much in the way of skweeky clean if that's your thing.

But, honestly, I can't think of a bad thing to say about the AC15.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

I can! It's heavy as a dang BOAT ANCHOR for a small grab n go combo! I had to shlep one all over a NAMM show one time and sold it the minute I got home from that gig. Lol. It's not a good deal if you have to buy an amp AND a massage club membership!

This is why the ac10 is so dang cool. I was blown away the first time I plugged into one. Its like 95% of the ac15 volume without the backache, and somehow they made that stock 10" speaker sound big and fat. It's the best amp on the market imo when you look at what you get for the $. A real lightweight tone monster with a great look in a lightweight package. THE small giggers amp.

Lizardkinged likes this.
  6. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Ha, yeah, I was kinda thinking about that. But, as I always tell Mrs Bee, weight equals quality.

blueruins, Ricochet and TSims1 like this.
  7. technomouse

technomouse Electromatic

Feb 24, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    Will do tomorrow!!
    Thanks so much :)

Anyone know anything about the AC15C2 twin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8. technomouse

technomouse Electromatic

Feb 24, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    Actually really enjoyed the VR series when I played them about 3 months back! So cheap

9. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Yeah, it's heavy, apparently.

I've got the twin with greenbacks (in the rehearsal studio) and the C1 with alnico (at home, mostly). The C2 is much better for stage use, more spread to the sound, more depth in the mix. And it looks cooler because it's big. The C1 alnico just sounds sweet, though. If I had to choose between them, I'd keep them both and give you my missus.

PDogga and TSims1 like this.
  10. technomouse

technomouse Electromatic

Feb 24, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    I'd trade your missus for a handwired AC30

All respect to your missus

audept, markeebee and ninar69 like this.
  11. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Suggest the AC15, or as Tony suggested AC10

12. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

IF you are considering something other than the Fender and/or Vox, if Traynors are readily available in your area a YGL1 might be a consideration. Again, not sure if they are readily available in Sydney.

13. dazzajl

dazzajl Country Gent

Apr 18, 2010
    wiltshire
    Yeah, it's my current 15 and you both want and really don't want it in equal measures.

On the up side, sounds truly epic. On the down side, it creates its own gravity well.

14. MikeyUK

MikeyUK Gretschie

Dec 15, 2016
    Rochdale, GB
    Thanks for the detail Tony. A Vox amp to go with my Tennessee Rose is something on my shopping list. I suspect if an AC10 is good enough for you, then it'll be fine for me. Others have also suggested the AC10 can deliver pretty much all the AC15 can.

15. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

For an AC30HW I'd throw in one of my kids and maybe the cat.

No, hang on, I'm keeping the cat. Both my kids then.

16. englishman

englishman Friend of Fred

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Shipping them to Australia would come close to the price of the new one.

17. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    If you were in the States, I'd say look for an Ampeg Jet. As you're in Oz, the AC15 makes more sense. Get wheels for it, or hire a roadie.

technomouse likes this.
  18. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    The sky might fall today, because I actually agree with you on this.:)

19. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    If you can find one Mesa Boogie Trans Atlantic TA15 Will do Vox, and Fender Tweed in Spades and a reasonable Marshall. 5 watts 15 watts and a psuedo 25 watts in one very compact head. They go for $500.00 to $600.00 used in the US.

Henry and Aymara like this.
  20. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    The only Fender parts left in my Blues Junior are the chassis and the name badge, after getting a handwired rebuild with new trannies, valve reverb, long tank, birch pine 5e3 cab, 6V6s and a flux capacitor switch. It's like a cross between a Tweed deluxe and a Princeton reverb. For less than the cost of a mass produced PR with printed circuits, it's the kind of thing Fender should be making.

tartanphantom likes this.
  21. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Fixed it for you.
    Puts out 1.21 Gigawatts, I bet.;)

Uncle Daddy likes this.