Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Choosing a 15w tube amp to match my 6128T

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by technomouse, Apr 20, 2017.

1. technomouse

technomouse Electromatic

Feb 24, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    Hey crew!
    My duo and and I went and had a play through a massive range of amps.

Shortlisted it to
    VOX AC15C1X with the blue alnico
    http://voxamps.com/ac15c

Fender Blues Junior III Laquered Tweed
    http://www.fender.com.au/fender-guitar-amplifier-details.cfm?pID=2230503000&bc=BodyShape&bcid=

HELP!
    Price is the same and love them both
    I'm after a certain chime and clarity balanced with the beauty of the tube warmth. I loved the way both responded to my duo jet

Which is going to serve me better? I will probably chuck a chorus pedal in front of it and probably a hot cake over Drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. TrampledUnderFoot

TrampledUnderFoot Electromatic

Apr 20, 2017
    PDX
    I used to have a Vox AC15CC, which is a different model than that, though fairly similar. I didn't like it too much personally, as it was much too clean for my style (rock/heavy blues) at the time. I prefer amp gain and that particular circuit just didn't do it for me at all. Once you got it to actually overdrive on its own it was a bit harsh and grating. Again, different model, but that was my experience.

I think the Blues Junior and that whole line is pretty great, especially as a pedal platform. My brother has the bigger amp from that line (Blues Deville maybe?), similar amp and he gets a great drive tone from it alone, and then uses pedals for embellishments and it sounds fantastic. It's also been incredibly reliable. The only maintenance has been changing tubes and there was a slight rattle due to a loose chassis screw. he doesn't baby his gear at all, so that's quite a bit of abuse over the 10 or so years he's had it through lots of shows and tours.

But really, the sound your after will guide your choice better. I'm sure both are similarly reliable, I've just had more first-hand experience with the Fender line.

jayguitar likes this.
  3. Staggerlee

Staggerlee Country Gent

Jul 19, 2012
    Twin Cities
    No to BJ III. Everyone and their mom recommends them on guitar forums, but almost no one actually owns them anymore because they got rid of them pretty quickly because they suck.

If you can swing the extra cash get an AC15 Handwired. I also recommend Matchless Spitfire or Lightning for Vox inspired tones.

MRey and tartanphantom like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    The Blues Junior is very nice, but I prefer the model with the alnico speaker. I've been using VOX amps for 30+ years now so I am a bit partial to them, especially in your case, to the AC15C1X with Celestion Blue alnico speaker.

upload_2017-4-20_21-31-24.jpeg upload_2017-4-20_21-32-53.jpeg

MikeyUK and jayguitar like this.
  6. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I'd go with the Vox outta those two. Have you tried the Excelsior?

7. technomouse

technomouse Electromatic

Feb 24, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    I've actually not tried an excelsior because I can't bloody find one!

8. technomouse

technomouse Electromatic

Feb 24, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    I really really enjoyed the AC15, especially with the alnico. I can't swing any more than $1k toward it so I can't go handwired... hopefully that's okay

ZackyDog likes this.
  9. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    The Custom Series are fine amps. :)

10. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Between those two I'd say the vox even though I seem to have some mental block that prevents me from ever considering buying one. I think o got some bad mojo from an ac30 I tried. Anywho.

Tried a princeton? Edit: nevermind, they cost a bit more.

11. technomouse

technomouse Electromatic

Feb 24, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    Have tried a Princeton, tried a knotty pine today and god I loved it but yeah... budget says no

12. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    When I remember from your Jet thread, which music you love, I guess I should recommend to you my Blackstar HT5R, which is extremely versatile ... not too loud for bedroom jamming, loud enough for rehearsals and for the stage and studio it has a red box output with cab sim, that can also be used with headphones, which will be a huge bonus combined with a Jet, so you can even play at night without anybody hearing you.

I replaced the stock preamp tube with a Genalex Gold Lion, which was just plug and play, to improve overall tone and resolution ... warmer cleans, less harsh oberdrive ... sounds fantastic with all of my guitars.

PS: I love Fender amps for clean tones, but that's it ... for crunchy and heavy stuff, no thanks.

PPS: Whatever you choose ... you'll love headphone output for home use!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  13. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    I'd get a Princeton or an AC15 depending if I wanted US or UK voicing.

14. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    The BJ iii Tweed sounds way better that the earlier versions. Still mass produced down to a price though.

15. dazzajl

dazzajl Country Gent

Apr 18, 2010
    wiltshire
    I've had quite a few ACs now, from the normal and handwired ranges. What I have noticed is they all sound fabulous and when I had the 15 you want now with the blue speaker and hand wired heritage at the same time, there was nothing to split them sound wise on the top boost channel they both had.

You will get a better looking amp with a hand wired. The build quality would be superior and there's less chance you'll get one with a hum or trem hiss but I don't think you'd get a different tone.

I still think a shop floor Fender does look better than a Vox but I'd buy the Vox every time.

You should also check out the AC10 perhaps? Not heard one myself but I've not heard a single bad word about them yet

TSims1 and jayguitar like this.
  16. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I would go for second hand / used Fender Princeton Reverb, in order too meet the budget, and later replace the C10R stock Jensen speaker if needed (from WGS, for example). But it's me:D...

A+!

17. jayguitar

jayguitar Electromatic

Oct 10, 2016
    Cloverdale, Indiana
    I have an older Blues Junior, (a black one) and it does a good job.
    I haven't had any problems with it.
    Nice tone and looks, works well with stomp boxes.
    However I have heard a lot of very
    good things about the Vox 15 C1.
    I haven't tried one yet... But probably will soon based on the good things I've heard about it and
    read on the Gretsch Talk site.
    jayguitar

18. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
  19. englishman

englishman Friend of Fred

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Man, that Sims guy, just can't shut him up sometimes, goes on and on and on....

Just kidding, sometimes no further words are required.

Oh yeah, Vox.

audept, technomouse and TSims1 like this.
  20. ninar69

ninar69 Electromatic

Oct 23, 2012
    UK
    I love my little AC15VR. Still can't believe how inexpensive it was.

21. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Okay okay.......I do have more to say. :)

Do yourself a favor and try an ac10. That is a KILLER amp that is lightweight and portable, yet sounds big and gets loud. I'd currently buy it over an ac15(and I've owned 2 or 3 ac15s cause I love em).

blueruins and technomouse like this.