Chinese spam

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by mschafft, Sep 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mschafft

mschafft Synchromatic

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    Please do not hijack this thread. It is meant to signal spam.
    The new member introduction forum is full of it at the moment.

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    1. Report one of the posts to the mods.
    2. Add the username of the spammer to your "ignore" list.
    3. Hit "New Posts" again.
    This way, the mods know to remove it, but you're not confronted with it while browsing the forum.

Aymara, Wozob, audept and 1 other person like this.
  3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Exactly what I do, too!

4. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    upload_2018-9-6_1-31-2.jpeg Spam_can.png

Chinese SPAM ^?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    PDogga, MKunie, thunder58 and 3 others like this.
  5. mschafft

mschafft Synchromatic

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    Thank you guys.

6. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    Hope this isn't considered a hijack and I don't want to be a pest, but...the whole thing would go away if you instated manual approval of new accounts. Or even just required user names that weren't randomly generated gibberish like "fgtrdc53" and suchlike, though I'm not sure how that would work. Are there so many new registrations that it would be an enormous PITA? If so I feel for the mods.

7. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It has gone beyond annoying.

National19 likes this.
  8. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    This. Just report as 'spam'.

9. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Wow, impressed that the forum has outline numbering run across multiple posts!

10. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    How do you cook Chinese Spam?

11. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    We're Gretschies. We're cool like that. :cool:

12. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Fry it in butter. Delicious.

wabash slim likes this.
  13. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Mmm---MSG!

Answer me this---how did this clown manage to get one fake internet point?

14. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Yes, it would. For the record, work typically takes 10-12 hours out of my day. Forum moderation is fit in around that, including frequently cleaning up spam before I get out of bed in the morning. Do you have any notion of how many people register at this forum? There are many, many new users, and not everyone posts after they register. Some will make their first post months, even years later. We can’t, as a practical matter, operate a forum this size with the level of moderation you seem to be suggesting.

Discussion fora are not huge enterprises with numerous employees. In fact, most have a single owner and perhaps a technical person that is called in as needed for problems which arise. Moderators are usually volunteers from among the online community. I’ve never minded the work involved in moderating this forum, but most users seem to understand that I can’t drop everything I am doing everytime there is a tiny issue. I certainly can’t stop to review every new user.

While making it a hassle to join might slow down the robo-spam, it would definitely slow down the legitimate members whom seek to join, and these are the lifeblood of the forum; new members seeking information or simply the online companionship available in a special interest forum. If we hinder legitimate interest in the forum by demanding a waiting period the effect will be less legitimate users joining the forum.

Please, report spam using the “Report” button and please, do not create threads about spam.

section2 and audept like this.
  15. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    The excesses, and insanity, that are spam induced.

upload_2018-9-6_23-2-23.png

16. Dave-B

Dave-B Country Gent

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    More volunteer moderators scattered around the globe is the obvious solution, then.

17. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Ok folks, we’re not going to do this again. The forum is being plagued by spam, which is sent out by automated “spam-bots”. Gretsch-Talk is not causing this, nor are we allowing this. If you want to contribute to the community, as requested before, please simply report the post and all you have to use as an explanation is the word “spam”. This helps me to make quick work of cleaning up.

Do NOT start a thread complaining about the spam. Just as is the last outbreak, the thread complaining about the spam wastes more of my time than the spam cleanup itself and, believe it or not, may actually make things worse. If the source of this spam monitors their victims, a thread like this suggests to them that they are succeeding.

Please take into account the fact that I and the handful of other people involved in operating and moderating this forum have plenty to keep us busy. The last thread turned into a whinefest filled with unsolicited advice, mostly from people that have never been webmasters or worked in cyber security. It comes down to complaining versus making a positive contribution. I hate the sight of this spam as much as anyone, but there are only so many things which can be done. Yes, there are more things we can do, but these will make the forum smaller and discourage legitimate participation.

Please do not take your frustration out on the people that run the forum. They are not the cause of the problem.

Locking down this one.

Bertotti and MTurner like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.