Chicago Music Exchage!! OMG. Heaven! Pics!

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Hotshot, Jul 14, 2016.

1. ArivacaCharlie

ArivacaCharlie Gretschie

Mar 27, 2016
    Gillette, Wy
    I'm on their mailing list but I've always wanted to walk into that store and spend a few hours.

2. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    I think L is elevated

I've seen pictures of the one in Wuppertal, Germany where the elephant fell out of the car.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  3. Hotshot

Hotshot Gretschie

Mar 23, 2016
    Toronto
    Been there. It's strange.

4. Hotshot

Hotshot Gretschie

Mar 23, 2016
    Toronto

I'm going to check out a rock n Roll Vintage next time I'm there.

5. DW_Dillinger

DW_Dillinger Country Gent

Not to split hairs but "L" stands for Elevated, this is despite the fact its occasionally below ground or at street level.

To clarify an earlier post U of C is in Hyde Park on the south side, and while Hyde Park is nice, the trip up north (while miles safer than a decade ago...at least this stretch) still passes through some rough areas. Once you get North of Cermak youre in the clear. cme is in a very nice part of town and you could make a day of exploring the the whole neighborhood. I lived on the northside for most of the twenty-aughts and miss it and taking the L dearly since repatriating back to the suburbs.

Another great music store is Avenue N guitars in Wicker Park, which is owned by a former cme employee. Its a smaller shop but they always have an unbelievable inventory of vintage guitars, including the owners '55 Duo Jet in a glass display case and clearly marked "not for sale"!

Hotshot likes this.
  6. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Last time I was there was in 91-92 and they were located in the city in a warehouse with a big steel door they had to buzz you into. It was in kind of a weird area not to far from one of the roughest areas in Chicago on the edge of yuppie town.

7. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I've ridden on them and the New York subway but I don't usually tell people to ride them

8. DW_Dillinger

DW_Dillinger Country Gent

I think that was their first spot in the city on Fulton and Western, it was an industrial area and still very much a sketchy neighborhood at that time. It must have been a few years later though because they were still in Homewood until at least '93-94

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    nickurso likes this.
  9. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    We are blessed with great stores here in Chicago for sure. Avenue N had some great D'Angelicas when i was last in there. Even our Guitar Center on Halsted is good, and theres a great little vintage store my son and I frequent called 312 Vintage Guitars on 35th ( no affiliation, we are just fans) Always has unusual stuff in a big jumble. They are worth following on facebook since they are small enough to be able to post regularly when they get cool stuff in.

10. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    My Les Paul came from the store I'm thinking of in 92, shawn was the manager at the time and it was off Haulstead st. I can't remember which street it was. I think they may have had two stores at the time. If I get a chance I may still have my receipt from then it will have the date and address on it.

11. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    My aunts still call them the elevator trains when you talk to them. I haven't thought about that in a while. Brings back memories

12. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Photos are amazing , thanks for sharing

13. richb1

richb1 Electromatic

Jun 21, 2016
    Illinois
    I was just there a few weeks ago. ( I was born & raised in Chicago, now I live 60 miles West). This is a great guitar shop. Maybe the best in Chicago. (In terms of quality selection).

14. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    I want to walk into that store and spend a few thousand.

ArivacaCharlie and Ricochet like this.
  15. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    When I'm in Chicago I always take a trip to Lansing, MI to go to Elderly Instruments, and am never disappointed.

I wish I knew more about the area to make a day of it.

16. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    If i lived anywhere near that place i'd be broke........wait a minute,i'm already broke dagnabbit!

17. Hotshot

Hotshot Gretschie

Mar 23, 2016
    Toronto
    This is the problem.... I had a $5000 tweed, and the cheapest thing I played was the Penguin at a slumming it price of 3300.. I figure, you give my 20K, and oh....a day in there...I can work with it..

18. Hotshot

Hotshot Gretschie

Mar 23, 2016
    Toronto
    Funniest comment to I heard was, a guy on a FB Gretsch group said they made his wife check her bag at the door. This other guy pipes up and says, " if I went to this place I'd check my wife at the door." Lol...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.