Chet Atkins vibrato arm vs. regular bigsby arm

Discussion in 'The Great Bigsby forum' started by aanstadt, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Angela Instruments charges shipping but the reverb listing does not so price is essentially the same. Best of luck!

2. aanstadt

aanstadt Electromatic

May 13, 2021
    Atlanta
    Darren sent me a link to buy it directly from him. Matched the Angela price. Can’t wait to get it put on. Thanks for all your help.

Archtops and mrfixitmi like this.
  3. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Synchromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    Good call. They just look right on a falcon. On any other guitar I prefer a Duane Eddy but to me a white falcon just feels right with a Chet. Although I think the Eddy performs better.
    upload_2021-10-15_9-58-35.png

MrWookiee, j.s.c, Duo Slinger and 4 others like this.
  4. MichaelRopp

MichaelRopp Electromatic

Jan 20, 2021
    Albuquerque
    Hey, all. Question for you: is the Chet Atkins Bigsby handle a problem when you put your guitar into a case? Do you have to remove the handle each time, or just loosen it so that it's relatively flat, or something else?

mrfixitmi likes this.
  5. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I just keep it in the playing position, but it’s important to note that I hang my guitars and only place them in cases when transporting them.

6. MichaelRopp

MichaelRopp Electromatic

Jan 20, 2021
    Albuquerque
    Synchro, when you do put it into a case what do you do with the Chet handle?

7. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I leave it in place. You could keep an Allen wrench in your case and remove the wire arm itself.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  8. MichaelRopp

MichaelRopp Electromatic

Jan 20, 2021
    Albuquerque
    @Synchro -- thanks. Appreciate your experienced insights.

9. senojnad

senojnad Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2008
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    I have "Chet wire-arms" on all my electric guitars --present and past -- and have done so for the last 15 +/- years. If I could, I would add one to my Martin D42.

Archtops and mrfixitmi like this.
  10. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I just posted a thread of my Chet Arm installation. https://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/installing-the-chet-arm.213276/

I don’t doubt it a bit, Dan. It would do a Martin proud.

11. aanstadt

aanstadt Electromatic

May 13, 2021
    Atlanta
    So I finally got Chet arm installed. Question. Do you think it requires a slightly higher spring? I feel as if when I play with the new Chet arm my fingers hit the pickguard because it’s so low and close to the strings ? Would the larger doing add more clearance?

12. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I use a 1” spring with mine. Most Bigsbys come with a 7/8” spring. I would have mentioned it before, but I hadn’t installed a Chet arm in nearly four years and had simply forgotten. Your thread inspired me to put one in my Guild, and I ended up switching to a 1” spring for that. The good news is that you don’t have to remove the strings to change out the spring. Just loosen them, and if you lay the guitar on its back you can carefully lift the Bigsby handle with your right hand and swap springs with your left hand. I always keep a terrycloth hand towel nearby when I work on guitars and especially if a Bigsby is involved. If you have to let go of the handle with no spring in place that towel will serve as an excellent pad under the handle.

13. aanstadt

aanstadt Electromatic

May 13, 2021
    Atlanta
    Thanks man! I’ll have to order the bigger spring.

14. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Once you get it dialed in, you’ll love it. To me, it makes a Bigsby a bit more controllable.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.