Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Chet Atkins - Favourite Album...?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by advid, Jul 14, 2017.

1. advid

advid Electromatic

Mar 5, 2017
    London UK
    ..my first intoduction to Chet (1963) and his lovely playing style was on the 'Down Home' album (on the cover he's sitting on the porch with his guitar and his dog...)

After all these years and many more Chet albums this is still my overall favourite..that great Gretsch sound was the reason I brought my first Gretsch ( 1960 Country Club - Cadillac Green - no Bigsby)

Any idea as to what guitar he used on that ??

Anyway - put your 'overall' favourite album on here and if possible try to explain why that's your favourite....

Attached Files:

2. nasonm

nasonm Gretschie

Nov 3, 2010
    Bangor, ME
    I'm a passionate Chet Atkins record collector (I have over 90 titles). It may be an odd one to say is my favorite but I'd say his first album with the Boston Pops, The Pops Go Country.

[​IMG]

3. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    england
    I prefer his earlier stuff.

My father has a massive collection of his records. He thinks he's got pretty much every record on that was available.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Ventura, CA
    There are lots of Chet records that I really like - Workshop, Teensville, and some of his more modern recordings, too. My favorite? Probably Neck & Neck

Hammerhead and Andrew Griffin like this.
  6. Dostegrar

Dostegrar Country Gent

Nov 5, 2013
    Delta,b.c.
    "All alone".
    2 reasons. Jam man and Ava Maria.

7. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    So many to choose from,i can never have a fav of anything i like too many ,some of my favs are , Gallopin' Guitar, Stringin' Along With, Session With, In Three Dimensions, Finger Style Guitar, Hi-Fi In Focus , you get the idea, all the 50's stuff through the early 60's.

I also like ,Yestergroovin , Finger Pickin'Good , Pickin'My Way from the 70's and of course the Jerry Reed albums where great as were the Les Paul and Merle recordings.

Andrew Griffin likes this.
  8. Joey L

Joey L Gretschie

Jun 24, 2016
    White Plains, NY
    Tennessee Christmas

9. sixtyonetwentyguy

sixtyonetwentyguy Electromatic

Jul 3, 2017
    california
    "Plays with the Carter Sisters and Mother Maybell" 1949 . . definitely that era for me.

10. edwardarmstrong45

edwardarmstrong45 Newbie

Sunday
    USA

Attached Files:

11. Pete66

Pete66 Gretschie

Nov 18, 2015
    Downtown
    My first introduction to Chet was this.........

chet-atkins-chet-atkins-teensville-3-ab.jpg

Tele295 likes this.
  12. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Edward!

13. ronbo

ronbo Gretschie

Feb 28, 2012
    Broomfield, Colorado
    Mine would have to be "Me & Jerry" - Chet Atkins and Jerry Reed...or maybe Me and Chet, Jerry's follow up. The 2 of them really sound like they're having a great time, picking and joking and Jerry can really play!

JC higgy and MrAstro like this.
  14. MrAstro

MrAstro Gretschie

Mar 5, 2015
    Sydney, NSW
    I like a lot of his older albums but also the Jerry Reed and Les Paul Albums. They are all very relaxing to listen to.

I also like his later albums like Almost Alone and when Fingerpickers Took over the world with TE.

I guess I just like all of them :)

JC higgy likes this.