Cheese Steaks and Guitars...

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by panhead6zero, Nov 22, 2021.

1. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Excellent choice . But if you get the chance , try a " poor mans " D-28 . Take a look at the D13e Road Series at about $1300.00
    That's the one I'm GASSING for

stevo likes this.
  2. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    My answer is yes. I own both a Taylor and a Martin.
    I favor my Gibson Hummingbird over both of them.

new6659 and panhead6zero like this.
  3. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I might end up pushing the Martin out and buy a 6g6b amp instead. Can’t decide, but I’ll see if I can play one of those. Thanks for the tip.

panhead6zero and thunder58 like this.
  4. capnhiho

capnhiho Country Gent

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Heretic!! (so says the guy who no longer owns any acoustic guitar)

BuddyHollywood and panhead6zero like this.
  5. LesB3

LesB3 Electromatic

Aug 17, 2021
    Philadelphia, PA
    THAT'S not a cheesesteak. The beef is sliced way too thick, the cheese doesn't look right, onions are an OK add-on, but that roll ain't right either.

You need an Italian roll made from Philly sewer water (Amoroso, of course), thin sliced rib-eye beef (grilled w/ salt, pepper, and the sekrit spice), and either cheeze whiz or (grumble) provolone. Chopped up hamburgers, portuegese rolls, mozzarella, tomatoes, or any of that BS are the surest sign of a fake.

And I prefer Guild acoustics myself, though I do have a Martin. Don't have a Taylor, they're too "modern" looking to me... LOL.

panhead6zero and wabash slim like this.
  6. O Riley

O Riley Synchromatic

Gather round, gather round, my family and friends and let me beguile you with story of guitar.
    I remember years ago as a youth playing melodies and song on such a fine D/18 until a new sun
    arose, bringing wood and steel together in form. Such mahogany and fine new shape of pic guards
    and saddles. Bodies of such woods, topped with fine sitka spruce with fabulous cutaways.
    And they called one, ~The Five Ten~.

Yes this guitar would become my guitar to concur the world for many years to come.
    Even to play on stage with my close companion, Billy Batstone. A life long dream come true.
    Ah yes, a beautiful, lovely guitar with pic up system installed. Melodies were made.

Then as fate would have, I happened upon something, a sound of which I remembered as a youth.
    A sound like that of a ringing of a bell, starting at the ground and rising up towards sky, a shaking and
    twisting and a rattling my soul, all while singing with angelic choirs.

The Fabled King Of Kings
    The

~ HD~28 ~
    Long live The King

To be cont. another day.
    A different venue.
    A different tune.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
    panhead6zero and thunder58 like this.
  7. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Yep - I was going to mention that but glad I didn't because you said it way better than I could have.

8. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Can't get a real Philly cheesesteak here in Indiana.
    We do have pork tenderloins and sweet corn, tho.
    Luckily, we can get a good Chicago version of Italian beef, so, we're not too badly off.
    Still have to travel 100 miles to get real kielbasa.

mbkri and panhead6zero like this.
  9. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Country Gent

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    Maaaaybe?

Ricochet likes this.
  10. panhead6zero

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    Actually Jim's steaks on 4th and South is probably the best! But then it's been 20 yerars since I've been there?!

ZackyDog and thunder58 like this.
  11. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I would eat and enjoy it. ;):rolleyes:

12. panhead6zero

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    Thanks for the Laugh! The roll is as important as the steak!!

13. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

First, the cheese steaks. Not from there, but get to East PA for work once or twice a year pretty much every year since 2010. Known to do a bit of food tourism. I did Pat's and Geno's also same day, ate half of each and took the rest home. Not bad, but there are better. Some of the better are Dinic's Reading Terminal Market and John's Roast Pork.

Which brings me to the Roast Pork Sandwhich, according to a few locals I know, the real star of Philadelphia sandwiches. Both Dinic's and John's do really good Steaks, as well as some of the best Roast Pork sandwiches in Philly. And yes, I've tried several other places for both, many good choices, most uniquely their own take on these.

Oh, guitars, right. I own a ton of brands. No Taylor's. Two Martin's (contemplating a 3rd). So yeah, I'm biased. But I don't see a Taylor in my future (nothing wrong with them though).

panhead6zero likes this.
  14. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Epiphone J200 and charley's cheesesteaks!
    Ha ha ha.
    When i was a kid Vinnie's in my home town made the best cheese steak. Better than Geno's or Pat's. Seriously
    Then there was the non associated Geno's fast food place that made cheesesteaks too, they were paired with Kentucky Fried Chicken later on.
    My guitar knowledge ain't what it used to be, but I'd grab a Martin D 18 if i was in the market.
    Now i need to get a cheesesteak sometime this weekend.

panhead6zero likes this.
  15. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    No cheesesteaks, but tonight we're having French Dips sammies (French drip is more like it). There is cheese involved as well as brown mustard.

T Bone, panhead6zero and mbkri like this.
  16. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    I use to like going through Chicago and stopping to eat. I would park at the TA on Burr, and walk across the street to Philly's. Best cheesesteak in this part of the country. They have the lemonade too. Right off 94. It use to be a little sketchy around there.

But it is about the hotdogs. Chicago has the Nathans Chicago dogs. If I was from Chicago and had to move away, that is what I would miss the most. That and the pizza. You can't get a decent Chicago style pizza unless you are there.

panhead6zero and mbkri like this.
  17. panhead6zero

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    We had Chicago dogs on a layover at Ohare. Pretty amazing! You can buy kits shipped to your house online! Not the healthiest choice, so we will do that in a few months.

Shock likes this.
  18. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I agree with Jay Leno who once said, "I'm not eating anything called wizz....."

panhead6zero likes this.
  19. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Are we onto dogs now? Love a half smoke with cincinnati chili on it.

panhead6zero likes this.
  20. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

I love a good French Dip! I add cheese and sometimes Horseradish, never thought of the brown mustard. Gotta try that!

ZackyDog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.