Cheese Steaks and Guitars...

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by panhead6zero, Nov 22, 2021.

1. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Country Gent

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    I grew up near Philly and there were two prominent cheese steak joints, Pat's Steaks and Geno's. If you went to Pat's you never went to Geno's and vice versa. My question is, (ready Rich, aka Thunder 58), Do Martin guitar players ever buy Taylor? Do Taylor guitar players buy Martins? I know some Giubson players have Fenders, but curious about the higher end accoustic world.

MrWookiee, Duo Slinger and Sabato like this.
  2. RG7X

RG7X Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
  3. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
  4. panhead6zero

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    Wit!!

Sabato likes this.
  5. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Gretschie

Sep 11, 2009
    Venice, CA
    I took my family to both Pat's and Geno's on the same day so we could do a proper taste test. It was fun and they are both awesome.

6. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
  7. Glaw

Glaw Gretschie

Aug 30, 2017
    ca.
    I’ve noticed they seem to like to cut holes in Taylors.

8. Ktone

Ktone Electromatic

Oct 31, 2021
    SE PA USA
    I literally just finished a steak (wit) from Steve’s Prince of Steaks (Northeast Philly based but I go to the Langhorne location across from famous Reedman Car dealership). In Philly proper, I rate Tony Luke’s as the best in town but Geno’s and Pat’s are fine. To really hijack this thread, :D Tony Luke’s roast Italian pork sandwich with sautéed spinach and aged provolone is just to die for! OK, back to Martins and Taylors!

BuddyHollywood, T Bone, ronbo and 3 others like this.
  9. NJDevil

NJDevil Country Gent

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Subliminal activity here as I just saw the title of the thread and NEED a cheesesteak. I have some Italian sausage left over so that will have to do the trick.

OK, now back to the question. I love my Taylor 414ce. Great full neck at 1.75" with an ebony board to really make it friendly on the hands to run thru 10 songs with ease.....tons of tone and a resonant "boom" going on. Need to switch to some soloing? It's great.....like playing a Gretsch.

A Martin? I always thought they sounded "dead". Some people say Les Pauls sound muddy but that's my perception of Martins. They're tough on the fingers also. I always felt my calluses need extra beef to play a Martin.

With that said, my 1st acoustic was a Sigma by Martin in '91. I love the guitar and has a special tone but definitely stays on the sideline while my Taylor gets all the playing time.

Now it's time to gobble up some of Italian sausage I have calling my name!

panhead6zero likes this.
  10. panhead6zero

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    LOL!! Didn't think I would geteveryones' tastebuds out of control! Thanks for ACTUALLY ansewring the question.

NJDevil likes this.
  11. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Is it still considered a cheese steak using medium rare beef?

12. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Whats a Taylor ? :p:p

Actually I had 2 Taylors in the heard .

One was given to me by my wife's aunt after her uncle died . Nice guitar , a Taylor 510 . But after about 5 years the daughter ( my wife's cousin who was a full blown alcoholic ) messaged my wife and asked if she could have her fathers guitar . Well , I couldn't deny her request . I told her as long as you paid the shipping I would send it and it MUST be a U.S.Postal Money Order ( thats's guaranteed money ) NO personnel checks allowed .

The other Taylor was a GS-mini I bought as a travel / parlor guitar . Great sound too . But of coarse Martin came out with the Dreadnaught Jr. and I traded the Taylor in for that .

All guitars mentioned are long gone , guess I'm always on the hunt for the perfect herd . Taylors are a beautiful guitar , a real nice ring to them . Guess my roots will always fall back to the Martin . To me a more fuller sound to them . Of coarse it's a matter of choice . So here I GAS for the martin D13e . Should be coming soon I hope

Some of us Gretsch players ( like myself ;) ) I have a Gibson and an Ovation along with the Gretsch and Martins I own .

panhead6zero likes this.
  13. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    @panhead6zero , BTW , I'm 2 hours from Philly and I've never been there but that road trip is on the bucket list . My daughter went a few years back and brought home a Philly Cheese Steak for me . It was not only authentic , but it was just like they say about Campbells Soup ...mm mm good

panhead6zero likes this.
  14. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Here in Chicago we eat Dipped Italian Beef sandwiches. They are drenched in spicy giardinara sauce and served with a cup of beef broth to dip in.
    Really messy. They drip everywhere. If you’re not careful the juice gets all over your trousers. I eat mine off of a Taylor to keep my pants clean. Hopefully the sauce will season the wood over the years and bring some of the top end down. Lovely looking guitars but not enough of a round sound. No beef to them.
    Im an Al’s Beef and Gibson accoustic guy.

Chef T, MotorCentaur, Shock and 2 others like this.
  15. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    You know, it's funny, because they're fine guitars, but I've never found a Martin or a Taylor that really floated my boat enough to buy it. For now anyway, I'm sticking with the three G's - Gibson, Guild and Gretsch!

But over on the Acoustic Guitar Forum, yes, you'll find many an acoustic player that owns both, in addition to some other high end brands like Collings and Furch. Tone's the name of the game over there, much more so than brand loyalty.

And cheesesteaks, yeah, they're wonderful. I could really use one ... right now!

Philly-Cheesesteak.jpg

16. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    From 2017:

[​IMG]

I went to Villanova University, about 12 miles west of Philadelphia. Every Saturday in the dorm cafeteria,
    we had Philly Cheese Steaks. It's been a few decades, but I remember that they used Steak 'um sandwich meat, Cheese Wiz (or liquid American Cheese?), Grilled Sautéed White Onions on a French or Italian submarine roll.

I did some reading, and one authentic recipe calls for thin-sliced Ribeye steak meat (!) + the ingredients you see above. One recipe had (substitute) provolone cheese and green peppers, in addition to the onions.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  17. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Sure - Martin and Taylor are not enemies. I own two Taylors and soon a Martin.

panhead6zero and thunder58 like this.
  18. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I have played all of these side by side and I can say that as you "go up", they sound better. Played a wonderful D-28 and loved it. Picked up an HD-28 and it was even better. Then a Collings and it was better. Then he handed me this certain Lowden and it blew me away. But I'm settled on an HD-28 at this point.

19. I never had that much cash too buy either one worth buying.

MotorCentaur and panhead6zero like this.
  20. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Stevo, you're right, "going up" helps, but then you hit that cost/value argument. Is the 6K you'll spend on a Collings really worth it - to you as the buyer. For some people it is, others (like me) have a more difficult time justifying that kind of expense. Some of those AGF guys will spend 12K on a hand-built, boutique one-of-a-kind instrument, some brand you've never heard of, all in search of that magical, mystic tone they hear in their heads. I can't imagine that, for myself, but more power to 'em.

Interestingly, the closest I ever came to buying a Martin was when I stumbled across a Road Series model that sounded amazing, and was of course reasonably priced.

I wound up not getting it, but you never know how things are gonna play out. If I'd bought that, I'd probably never have bought my J-35, which I'm totally crazy about. So sometimes things work out for the best, you just have to take a crooked path to get there.

---

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
    panhead6zero likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.