Checking in and playing less these days

5120mantis

Country Gent
Mar 6, 2011
nj
Hope all the Gretsch Talk crew has been doing well, checking in.
Been playing a lot less these days.
I LOVE music and still enjoy playing.
But not playing as much these days.
20211223_074409.jpg
Has anyone else experienced this, i don't think it's loss of desire just not feeling like picking up guitar constantly.

Duo Slinger

Country Gent
Sep 11, 2020
California, USA
Haha yeah, the guitar just fades into the background a little, or you just forget about it, or it itches at the back of your head but you never seem to be able to find the time.

Craig Encinitas

Gretschie
May 3, 2021
Encinitas, Ca
I can relate this to hobbies or activities that I’ve plateaued. There’s always room for improvement, but I don’t surf everyday like I used to. And I haven’t picked up my fancy DSLR cameras in a long time.

Since guitar is new for me, I obsess about getting better, so I play everyday. Perhaps one day I won’t, as with my other passions.

Such is life…

toddfan

Country Gent
Mar 12, 2012
Kansas
I played in a band for about 15 years that gigged regularly in my area and even opened a few rock shows...then, when my wife and I had my son some life decisions needed to be made and my life changed. I got a "real" job and the equipment got sold except for one guitar that pretty much sat in the case under the bed for the next 15 years. Music didn't stop being the most important recreational activity for me, but actually playing a guitar was definitely on the back burner.

When my son got older I started to have more "me" time again and the guitar started coming back out from under the bed...now, I play everyday...and, I think I am a far better guitarist than I ever was when I actively played in a band.

I wouldn't stress about it...things come and go...and sometimes other things in life will take priority....you can ALWAYS come back to it!

Teledriver

Synchromatic
Feb 12, 2011
Iowa City, IA
I am experiencing this a little right now. It got into the single digits temperature-wise about two-three weeks ago, and I've been entering into a bit of sunlight deprivation as well (aka The Winter Blaws). Before that I was entering into a cool phase of re-learning (correctly playing) songs from my past and excited to learn new songs too. Then blam. My guitar hangs within a few feet from me on the wall (the rest are in cases for the winter), and I have no real desire to pick it up and play. I'm just 'meh' when I think about it. This will change, it always has before.
Hang in there -mantis.

Stefan87

Country Gent
May 20, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Totally normal, passion for a hobby never goes away just doing said hobby sometimes takes a back seat to other things in life, you can always pick things back up later on.
My 2 year old daughter plays my guitars more then I do, I will be lucky if I can pick them up for more then 5-10mins in a week at the moment.

SLICKFASTER

Country Gent
Dec 29, 2009
USA
Hope all the Gretsch Talk crew has been doing well, checking in.
Been playing a lot less these days.
I LOVE music and still enjoy playing.
But not playing as much these days.
View attachment 173959
Has anyone else experienced this, i don't think it's loss of desire just not feeling like picking up guitar constantly.
Friend of mine is a Jazz Sax player.. played with many greats even Buddy Rich.. he says “sometimes you gotta leave it alone”
Keep er in sight! She sure is pretty!!

jvin248

Gretschie
May 16, 2017
Near Detroit
You need to buy another one. That’ll kick start you up again.

That will do it ... or just rummage around in the back of your gear closet and bring out one you haven't played in years. Tune it up and play on your current rig.

You'll find new tones and new songs pour out of that old 'forgotten' guitar.
It will tell you that it feels 'happy' now.

radd

Friend of Fred
Dec 27, 2017
Home
I played in a band for about 15 years that gigged regularly in my area and even opened a few rock shows...then, when my wife and I had my son some life decisions needed to be made and my life changed. I got a "real" job and the equipment got sold except for one guitar that pretty much sat in the case under the bed for the next 15 years. Music didn't stop being the most important recreational activity for me, but actually playing a guitar was definitely on the back burner.

When my son got older I started to have more "me" time again and the guitar started coming back out from under the bed...now, I play everyday...and, I think I am a far better guitarist than I ever was when I actively played in a band.

I wouldn't stress about it...things come and go...and sometimes other things in life will take priority....you can ALWAYS come back to it!

Similar here. I did not have your success with my band but that band ended when I was working, married, going to college, had a mortgage and a daughter….Yikes, I can’t even believe I balanced all those things back then.

I also sold all my guitars and amps at that point except for my Ovation guitar that I dug out on rare occasions. Years later, kids older, guitars arrived back in my house…