Check it out! Could be a great deal for UK eEbayers!

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Trash Kidd, May 5, 2021.

1. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Londoner likes this.
  2. Londoner

Londoner Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    UK
    Very interesting, but like most auctions I expect the high bids will come in nearer the end.
    I'll be watching though.

Waxhead and Trash Kidd like this.
  3. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Trash Kidd likes this.
  4. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Will do! Be interesting to see how high it goes…

5. Londoner

Londoner Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    UK
    Went for £780.

Waxhead likes this.
  6. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    That seems a bit high. Why not spend 150 bucks more, get free shipping, and 3 years warrantee at Thomann Germany?

j.s.c, Londoner and Trash Kidd like this.
  7. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    £780!!!!!! Wow!!! I paid £699 for my black version brand new 14 months ago!
    same amp really apart from Blonde finish as I’ve done the Blonde firmware update….

Waxhead, Ricochet and Londoner like this.
  8. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    The problem with Thomann for UK buyers is that we now get 'extras' added to the price, that (for me at least) seem a bit unclear as to what you're committing to when you order. There is VAT (20%) to go on top, but there may be other costs/duties/admin charges as well. Until I understand more what I'm committing to when buying from them I won't be getting anymore gear from Thomann myself.

It's actually £800 as there is shipping on top, which you might not have paid depending on where you bought yours.

Brand new from GAK at £899 at the moment and I've seen some used ones in dealer's websites for less as a friend was looking for one a while back and he ended up buying a B Stock one for about £750 (Black version) in the end.

If you don't mind the black version Guitar Guitar have them for £779 with free delivery.

I don't understand the overpaying on used eBay gear...

Trash Kidd likes this.
  9. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Brittany is outside the EU, Thomann(has to) deduct VAT from the price but you would be charged roughly the same amount on import to the UK. Shipping is a paltry 8 Squids to the UK… So netto I reckon it basically stays the same?

10. Lucky Jim

Lucky Jim Electromatic

Oct 16, 2020
    Kent, England
    A lot of folk in Brittany would like to be out of the EU and independent of France but that's not relevant to UK prices ;)

Henry and Mogg like this.
  11. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    I
    I paid £699 last March for my black version from Guitar Guitar… They’ve gone up in price now!

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  12. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Ignoring the typo, I don't know if it is just the VAT added on top for goods coming into UK now. I think there may be other charges and there might be 'admin' charges from the couriers as well for collecting the VAT and duties.

I know I got stung years ago importing a piece of AV gear from USA, so I'm wary of what the new charges might be when buying from Europe now.

In any case, I rarely find that Thomann is the cheapest now, even if I just add the VAT back onto their prices, so it's a moot point for me. Luckily I got a lot of AV rack mount gear from Thomann a few years ago when they were the cheapest for what I wanted and of course that was before Brexit.

Mogg, Trash Kidd and Ricochet like this.
  13. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    We used Thomann a lot pre Brexit…
    My wife logged on to their site a few weeks ago to order some double bass strings.
    With all the charges that go on top now they were completely unaffordable! She found them at less than half the price on a UK site in the end!
    Thomman must have lost a lot of UK business because of Brexit..

KelvinS1965 and Mogg like this.
  14. Mogg

Mogg Newbie

Apr 9, 2016
    UK
    I believe UPS charge around £12.

Blonde Deluxe Tone Master from Thomann = £911 (£735 + £14.70 import duty + £149.94 VAT + £12 UPS fee).
    Blonde Deluxe Tone Master = £899 from any UK dealer, or Peach Guitars have them for £861.

The high auction prices on eBay baffle me.

Lucky Jim, Trash Kidd and KelvinS1965 like this.
  15. Lucky Jim

Lucky Jim Electromatic

Oct 16, 2020
    Kent, England
    That's spot-on @Mogg. Brexit makes Thomann's prices less favourable and I think UK guitarists would rather buy locally if prices are comparable. It gives them the opportunity to try before buying and makes returns easier if there is a problem.

Different taxation rules apply to anything costing less than £135 from an EU dealer so Thomann might still be very competitive for those items.

16. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Do you happen to know if that includes the delivery charges? More for reference, since I can't think of anything I need now as I've got all the pedals I need that would have been under that threshold.

EDIT: I also presume that includes the VAT as well?

17. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    80 pounds more than your new one.
    And that's A$1413 today - way out of my price range for a used SS amp :eek::rolleyes:

Trash Kidd likes this.
  18. Lucky Jim

Lucky Jim Electromatic

Oct 16, 2020
    Kent, England
    £135 is the net cost of the goods. That includes delivery if it's included in the price of the goods but does not include delivery that is separately itemised. VAT has to be added by the supplier at point of sale, i.e. it's not payable when the goods are delivered in the UK and there should be no duty or handling charges to pay.

Suppliers being willing to charge the VAT is the stumbling block but I would imagine a company like Thomann would. There is info on their web site.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.