Cheap Guitars…

wildeman

I Bleed Orange
May 10, 2015
norcal
I really love my '07 5120. After putting in some Surf 90's back in the day, it ain't goin' anywhere.

qTDQyOZ.jpg
5120- super bargain! I love mine dearly.

J Bird

Synchromatic
Dec 2, 2016
Enumclaw
Way back, a long time ago, I borrowed a friend's Lyle 335 copy with lightning bolt f-holes and some sort of staple-style humbuckers. I would have bought it from him, but it wasn't for sale.

Decades later, I asked him how the Lyle was doing. He had sold it in the interim. Doh!

doc538

Gretschie
Sep 20, 2017
Massachusetts
I hear ya. I've had a '68 Mustang and a '66 Mustang. Incredible cars to look at....scary as hell to drive. No power steering, no power brakes (I'd have to step on the brakes about a mile and a half before I reached the place I wanted to stop at), no AC (and black interior...so it was hotter than he;; in there), suspension...well a boat ride in a hurricane is a smoother ride. Plus the gas tank was the floor of the trunk! Imagine getting hit in the rear? Instant incineration.

Ah, but my Mustangs sure were a pretty sight. Just don't drive them.
On the other hand... I loved my 64 Doge Polara 500, A luxury sportscar that ate Corvettes for breakfast with its high output Hemi Engine, yet drove smoothly with a nice leather interior, ac, power everything. Yet I agree my Cadillac Deville is far superior in all but raw power.

blueruins

Country Gent
May 28, 2013
Savannah, GA
My limit is $499 for an electric guitar.

This can be circumvented by purchasing parts to assemble over time.

These rules are set in stone and immutable unless I see something pretty cool.

Looking at my guitar harem I see no guitar over the limit. All but one was under $400. Wow! I am disciplined!

I have a few partscasters in process. Some day I want to take them to Joe Glaser in Nashville to be brought to life.

It occurred to me that the maintenance on many guitars really adds up, I’m the worlds worst luthier.

The vehicle I drive is 14 years old. I bought it new and I have no plans to buy another. It’s not a Bugatti.

blueruins

Country Gent
May 28, 2013
Savannah, GA
OLD inexpensive yet well built = Univox 60's made in Japan Es335 copy. Even today it plays and looks better than the Epiphone version. Binding is still tight, finish not bad, buckle rash and cymbal crashes. Original pickups and electronics. Sounds awesome, I keep her with my expensive models, she deserves it.
View attachment 183977
B19C841C-7FF0-47EE-94C9-76674848235D.jpeg
I beg your pardon!

And this is my most expensive at $499. More than worth it though it will need some more investment to get it up to standards.

Actually, yours is a stunner. I used to play a friends Univox Hi-Flyer and absolutely loved that guitar.

Mojoman

Electromatic
Jan 14, 2019
Gardena, ca.
Some guitars are cheap, some of them are not good for stage use, but some are. Many people dont like harmonys, some love them. The dearmond goldies are fantastic. I have some nice midrange axes that i have gigged with for years, and a few very nice ones. Its all in the ears in the end. I was looking for a neck for a strat that had the neck snapped off before i got it. Im at a swap meet and i got a harmony strat that had only the neck and body- no hardware. The guy gave it to me for 5 bucks. The body was thin and cheap but the neck felt nice. I put keys on it, bolted it up to the strat ( after i gave it a red paint job) and it turned out great. Ive gigged with it for 8 yrs already. Maybe i like it wasnt expensive cause i can dig in and play hard and not worry if it gets a small scratch. I also have an amer strat from 2oo8 and a korean squire from 92 that is cool.

Attachments

• 20210407_114844.jpg
    20210407_114844.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 4

Falconetti

Gretschie
Sep 18, 2012
Bagsville, Oxford UK
I’m old. I know what I like. I know what works for me. I like my Falcon and 6120. I couldn’t be bothered with all that chasing around for necks here and pick ups there and building something then rebuilding it to be almost but never quite like what you imagined it could be and maybe through the right amp it could sound like…..yada…yada. It is a life’s work. Thankfully not mine. Some cheap guitars are ok. Some really expensive guitars are rubbish. It’s the World. Buy the good ones and play them.

hogrider16

Gretschie
Oct 18, 2017
charles town wv
Do you drive a cheap car? Wear cheap clothes? Eat cheap food? There's nothing wrong with most cheap guitars, but there is nothing wrong with treating yourself to an expensive, high quality guitar if you can afford it. I don't get this whole concept of "deserving" a high end guitar. I highly doubt people apply that to other areas of their lives. Do you feel the need to "deserve" a quality pair of pants before you buy them?

Gregor

Country Gent
Oct 17, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
I don’t recall ever having a worthwhile conversation that never strayed from the original topic. It’s okay.
I was a bit confused by the OP's thread on cheap guitars and posts on expensive cars. I now see the connection between the two.The expensive cars are used to transport the cheap guitars! Got it now. Thanks everyone.

blueruins

Country Gent
May 28, 2013
Savannah, GA
Do you drive a cheap car? Wear cheap clothes? Eat cheap food? There's nothing wrong with most cheap guitars, but there is nothing wrong with treating yourself to an expensive, high quality guitar if you can afford it. I don't get this whole concept of "deserving" a high end guitar. I highly doubt people apply that to other areas of their lives. Do you feel the need to "deserve" a quality pair of pants before you buy them?
It is a marketing concept that has wormed its way into the culture.
Most of us aren’t the intended demographic for this particular ploy unless you digest copious amounts of soy products.