changing pickguard on 2622T

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by WingZero, Oct 26, 2021.

1. WingZero

WingZero Electromatic

Oct 21, 2021
    Québec City, Canada
    Hello,

at the moment my guitar is at the shop to be tuned and have a pickup swap, in the meantime I'd like to consider changing the pickguard.
    The guitar is Flagstaff Sunset color (see thru red) with chrome gretch knobs
    With a streamliner black pickguard which is fine but a lil' meh.
    CURRENT:
    [​IMG]

I'd like to change it for the more ''gretchy'' electromatic or similar shape so here are my 2 questions:

1- where would I get these? (if possible in Canada, but not mandatory)

And should I stick with black pickguard - but shaped like a 5622 or similar

or should I go for a white or silver color?
    [​IMG]

THS3171, thunder58 and GlenP like this.
  2. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    1) Mike Quick at Quickguards makes great custom guards. Not cheap, but good.

Alternatively, if you're handy with design software like Inkscape or Illustrator, you can create a vector image and have a pickguard made from clear acrylic by a shop that does custom laser cutting and engraving, and then you can spraypaint it yourself. There's an online service called Ponoko that does it for a reasonable fee. A local signmaker or trophy engraving shop might also be able to do it for you. I made one using the laser engraver at my public library. The classic Gretsch pickguards are made of clear acrylic. The logo is reverse-engraved onto the underside, and then the back of the pickguard is sprayed with silver or gold.

2) Choose whichever colour makes you happy! Silver would give your guitar a classic Gretsch look, but there are endless options. I have clear pickguards on two of my Gretsches, and I'm about to make a gold one for my Jet. Check out the Quickguards website; you'll see a huge variety there.

One thing: what kind of pickups are you putting into your guitar? Broadtrons are bigger than Filtertrons, so you'll need to ensure that any pickguard matches the shape of the new pickups.

THS3171, WingZero and Henry like this.
  3. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    THS3171, WingZero and section2 like this.
  4. I’m experimenting with cutting my own. Just started. Unless i step up my game, they will not look as clean as the ones that come from gretsch, but they will do for a color change. I like changing out parts like pick gaurds, and if i can do it myself it saves a lot of cash.

THS3171 and WingZero like this.
  5. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    That's such a beautiful color, I'd go with a clear guard.:)

THS3171 and WingZero like this.
  6. WingZero

WingZero Electromatic

Oct 21, 2021
    Québec City, Canada
    Thanks I've seen quickguard and as you say, definitely not cheap (worst with exchange rates!) I'll see what I can find - it's likely to go custom but If I could get a stock one i'd be fine, I can probably do little mod for the pickup size. You are correct broadtrons are larger and they are being replaced with bootstraps humbuckers. I'll put real filtertrons in another guitar which is sized correctly, this one will be my humbucker one.

I've tried to do it myself, twice, with 2 methods and.... like you results were not fantastic, it did work, and filled its job but the finish was not as nice a stock one.

THS3171 and section2 like this.
  7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I like the white

WingZero and THS3171 like this.
  8. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Synchromatic

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin, US
    I purchased a clear guard from mLaval on Reverb. I had to do do some modification to fit the pickups but it was minor and straight forward. I used G5120 / G5420T model. I left mine clear but if you were to go this route you can paint the underside any color you want. I am easy on my pickguards so I am unsure of the durability vs more expensive units.

G2622 PUPG.jpg

thunder58, GlenP and THS3171 like this.
  9. THS3171

THS3171 Electromatic

Jan 20, 2020
    Germany
    Cut out by myself on my 2622LH with raw pickguard material from the bay. Have taken the shape from an 5420 and adjusted it. The terrible writing on the pickguard is the result of wrong tools. I am still practicing :rolleyes: Truss rod cover is the same material.
    IMG_20211028_163410.jpg IMG_20211028_163440.jpg

section2, WingZero and GlenP like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.