Changing Mega Slinky Strings

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by GreatGretsch, Jan 17, 2021.

1. GreatGretsch

GreatGretsch Country Gent

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    I’ve been using Ernie Ball Power Slinky strings for years now. I smashed my pinky finger while doing a break job on my car this past summer. I’ve been trying different mixes of gauges. 10s just won’t stay in tune and I don’t much care how they feel and bend (I play a Hot Rod). I just tried the Mega Slinky strings and they appear to be the solution. They go from a 10.5 - 46. The bottom strings (28, 38, 48) are the same as an 11 set with the top three strings (10.5, 13.5, 17.5) being a .5 gauge lighter. This little reduction in size makes a big difference. I have one gig under my belt using them. I was very happy with them. The guitar maintained tune and my finger felt great. The guitar sounds good, maybe even better than the 11s.

Anyone else using them?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  2. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    No, but I think I'll give them a try. Thanks for sharing!

Cazza64 and GreatGretsch like this.
  3. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I'm glad it worked for you. I've been using Slinky 10s with no issues. Ernie makes decent strings.

GreatGretsch likes this.
  4. Easyrom

Easyrom Electromatic

Oct 19, 2012
    Paris, France
    Not the same brand (use to use Ernie Ball 10 and 11 for a long time though), but did the same "compromise" that you did when going with Curt Mangan 10.5. Slightly different gauges though (10,5 / 14 / 17 / 26 / 38 / 48). Like it very much on both my Collings I35-LC and my new Duo Jet '59 RI. Stays really well in tune, plays well, sounds great.

GreatGretsch likes this.
  5. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Yes , glad it all worked out for you also

6. GreatGretsch

GreatGretsch Country Gent

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    Famous last words. They work for me today. Who knows what tomorrow will bring:) ...

What was surprising is how much difference .5 gauge increments make.

thunder58 and pmac11 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.