centerblock owners....

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by ruger9, May 20, 2021.

1. azrielle

azrielle Electromatic

Feb 24, 2021
    Lund,NV USA
    I own a 2019 Streamliner G2655 non-T, with chambered spruce center block and 13-1/2" lower bout diameter (as opposed to most other Gretsches with 16" lower bout diameter). The construction is the same as the G5655 (which also has a 13-1/2" lower bout diameter) with the exception that my Streamliner is a double cutaway, which makes it a bit neck heavy. It is really lightweight, and has enough unamplified resonance to enjoy practicing with it. I believe that all semi-hollowbody Gretsches since 2016 have had a chambered center block, as opposed to solid, which DOES contribute somewhat to the unamplified tone (and, presumably, amplified as well).

Last edited: May 22, 2021
    ruger9 likes this.
  2. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    0AE63A2D-2E7A-4A54-880C-E2194F128690.jpeg 8C7CD442-1205-4112-8DA4-607E530C79EC.jpeg the Rooster by Nocturne is center blocked :) Rather its routed near hollow but the back is routed to 3/16 thickness from a solid blank of honduran mahogany. ...eyehhp!.

Last edited: May 23, 2021
    sgarnett, ruger9 and audept like this.
  3. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Looks like it would be very similar in function to the trestle bracing... It's kinda like ONE trestle brace, down the center.

4. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I’ve played a 6137 Panther since 2013. Personally I think, beyond weight relief, the chambered centre block allows the instrument to retain a bit more of a hollow body sound when compared to say an ES Series guitar. Mind you the bridge may play a part in that as well.

Henry, sgarnett, ruger9 and 1 other person like this.
  5. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Welp, I pulled the trigger... I have a G5655TG in Azure Blue ordered... backordered actually... MF did not have that color in stock, so I have to wait. But I went with MF because I had a 15% off coupon...

Basically, hoping those Blacktop Broad'Trons have more mids than their Filtertron brethren, just to make this guitar "more different" from my Hot Rod... I don't want it to sound like "just another Gretsch"...

Question on the pickup rings: from what I can tell, it seems the BT-BTs are PAF-sized, however the pickup rings are still the same size as normal Filtertron rings? Even share the same screw hole locations from what I read? If that is the case, either FTs or PAFs could fit in this guitar (altho I realize there may be an issue with the corner radii of the rings being rounder than a PAF case... we'll see....). I already have a set of Vintage Vibe P90s in FT cases I could try, as well as a set of Rio Grande BBQtrons (which are currently in my Cabronita, and have MUCH more in common with PAFs than with FTs, IMO.)

6. Paulie26

Paulie26 Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Ireland
    I've said it before, and i'll say it again!

The 5655TG are beauts- The best kept secret of the Gretsch canon!

Seriously cannot understand why there is not more round here

ruger9 likes this.
  7. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    If you look closely at the pics, the BT Broad’trons look slightly wider than BT Filter’trons. The edges of the BTBT rings (parallel to the bridge) look slightly narrower to allow for the wider pickup. The screw hole spacing looks the same, but that’s hard to judge in pics - they don’t have to be off my much to require redrilling.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.