'Cause I'm In Love With You

OldCowHand

Country Gent
Sep 24, 2015
Kent, England.
I hope this will be of interest to the G-T gang. It certainly has Gretsch content, and concerns the first band I was ever in, The Hi-Jinx, and the guitar in my avatar.

Back in prehistoric times when dinosaurs roamed the earth Bill Wyman asked us to record a demo of two songs he had written so that he could take them to the States and try to find someone to record them commercially.

We recorded it in an evening session on 21 November, 1964, at the R G Jones studio in Morden, Surrey, eight to midnight. Mr Jones engineered it and Tony Chapman, the Rolling Stones original drummer, produced it. Bill went down on the paperwork as Executive Producer because he paid for the session. We in the band were all teenagers at the time. The lineup was as follows …

Len Franks: Vocals
Graham Allan (me): Guitar (Gretsch Jet Firebird)
Fred Smith: Organ (Hohner)
Peter Carey: Bass (Hofner violin)
Stan Hill: Drums (Trixon)​
hi-jinx_cartoon.png
Bill Wyman eventually got this one recorded by Joey Paige (about whom I have a another story) and the record was produced by Sonny Bono who also played harmonica on it.
record_labels.jpg

The cartoon above, by the way, was drawn by a young fan of the band. He did five, 16 x 20, all slightly different, and we had one each. Mine is currently on the wall of the room I am in right now.

https://soundcloud.com/user-786139853/cause-im-in-love-with-you

OldCowHand

Country Gent
Sep 24, 2015
Kent, England.
That is pretty cool. Very period sounding. Must have been exciting to do at the time.
On reflection, more exciting to look back on. I think for a teenager in a rock band in the sixties life was just exciting all the time, but the best moments, as ever, are when you are standing up in front of a crowd.

GretschSwing

Country Gent
Jan 27, 2014
Howell, MI
Very cool story, track and drawing! I'm currently reading a book on the Swinging London phenomenon that, decades after my youthful obsession with it, continues to fascinate, so your post is a timely treat. You lads sound as radio-ready as many pros of the period I've run across.

blc45

Country Gent
Aug 23, 2011
nc
I agree very period correct. It was the sound. Sound like it would have been a Beatle tune.

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
Thank you, Graham for sharing. Cool.
Whish I had vinyl. There are only cassettes and worn out cd s from my recording history. I received some mp3 stuff of my own musical back catlogue, I did ot have, just yesterday from a longtime fan.
It is always nice to remember what you have done in ancient times and what kind of songs you liked to write then (and beeing shocked how incredibly expensive the studio recordings were then). I feel ashamed by the neandertal english lyriks of my "vintag recordings" now. Haha. But I totally enjoyed to record them back in the day.

OldCowHand

Country Gent
Sep 24, 2015
Kent, England.
Very cool story, track and drawing! I'm currently reading a book on the Swinging London phenomenon that, decades after my youthful obsession with it, continues to fascinate, so your post is a timely treat. You lads sound as radio-ready as many pros of the period I've run across.
Yes, it did swing, and I have so many memories. We often used to open for 'name' acts; Hendrix, John Lee Hooker, Bo Diddley, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, Chris Farlowe and the Thunderbirds (with Albert Lee playing his Super 400), oh, so many others, but my high-spot will always be some years later when I got to work, and share a dressing room with, Duane Eddy. I think that's because he was my idol when I was twelve or thirteen.

GretschSwing

Country Gent
Jan 27, 2014
Howell, MI
Yes, it did swing, and I have so many memories. We often used to open for 'name' acts; Hendrix, John Lee Hooker, Bo Diddley, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, Chris Farlowe and the Thunderbirds (with Albert Lee playing his Super 400), oh, so many others, but my high-spot will always be some years later when I got to work, and share a dressing room with, Duane Eddy. I think that's because he was my idol when I was twelve or thirteen.
Wow ... just wow!

Taylor910

Gretschie
Jan 2, 2015
SoCal
Really cool to have been part of that scene. I thought the song sounded Rolling Stonish. Never expected this from Bill. Definitely from the period. Thanks.

OldCowHand

Country Gent
Sep 24, 2015
Kent, England.
Whish I had vinyl. There are only cassettes and worn out cd s from my recording history. I received some mp3 stuff of my own musical back catlogue, I did ot have, just yesterday from a longtime fan.
I was uncharacteristically prudent with these recording. I have them, along with many others, as acetates, but Mr Jones ran me off a ¼" tape of the whole session. About ten or fifteen years ago when I could see that my last reel-to-reel machine was destined for the loft I thought I would transfer to digital, but the tapes were at 15 ips and my machine only went up to 7½ ips. I transferred them to hard disk and then resampled up to the right speed.

I have a friend with a Revox which I think does 15 ips, so the tapes might get transferred again some day.

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
I was uncharacteristically prudent with these recording. I have them, along with many others, as acetates, but Mr Jones ran me off a ¼" tape of the whole session. About ten or fifteen years ago when I could see that my last reel-to-reel machine was destined for the loft I thought I would transfer to digital, but the tapes were at 15 ips and my machine only went up to 7½ ips. I transferred them to hard disk and then resampled up to the right speed.

I have a friend with a Revox which I think does 15 ips, so the tapes might get transferred again some day.

You better be quick with that. I made the experience that old tape can get sticky and will desintegrate over the time. Another bad experience was, that old data on vintage computers was stored in formats that simply can not be read nowadays with modern media.
We should all come back to write it down on paper...
I grow seriously grey hair when thinking that lazy people like me used to store their ideas for the potential next- big- worldewide- hit- song on dozends of vintage dictation machine tapes, only. :-(( Stupid me.

Last edited: