Catalinbread Echorec?

gtttrrr

Country Gent
Dec 7, 2011
United States
Have been gassin for a Belle Epoch Deluxe, AND an Echorec,, thinkin about sellin my Plethora X5 to fund both,, just not usin the X5 enough, and ALWAYS searching for the perfect echo. Anyone have the Echorec?

Merc

Friend of Fred
May 6, 2017
Florida
As you know I’m a huge fan of the Epoch Deluxe. On the Echorec side I’ve got the Dawner Prince Boonar which is equally stellar. But since you’re considering getting both a tape and Echorec, have you considered the Volante? You can pick them up used just below $300 at times. And it would cover both in a way. Although I believe the tape may be based on a Roland and not Echoplex.

oneforsorrow

Country Gent
May 15, 2020
Iowa
I’ve got the Belle Epoch and like it quite a bit. The Echo Rec was also a consideration. I’ve also got a Formula 55 from Catalinbread … they do emit a little noise. Nothing problematic but I am aware when they’re on.

gtttrrr

Country Gent
Dec 7, 2011
United States
As you know I’m a huge fan of the Epoch Deluxe. On the Echorec side I’ve got the Dawner Prince Boonar which is equally stellar. But since you’re considering getting both a tape and Echorec, have you considered the Volante? You can pick them up used just below $300 at times. And it would cover both in a way. Although I believe the tape may be based on a Roland and not Echoplex.
I am looking to try both, potentially for diff rigs, wanting some reviews of the the Catalinbread Echorec,,, from someone other than the dudes online that make any pedal sound like the 🐝 knees. A few of those guys could make a bagged fart sound like the greatest thing you’ve ever heard

Merc

Friend of Fred
May 6, 2017
Florida
Here’s the thing, despite not being the newest echo on the block with all the bells and whistles… the Epoch Deluxe just sounds amazing to my ears. You’re getting the real EP3 preamp with orange caps and stuff. I find the echo on it to be fantastic. The key for me is the Record head volume that affects the initial repeat. You can give it just the right amount of breakup. The echos on this sounds super sweet and not sterile like some other pedals out there.

On the inside you can also dial in the speed of oscillation for when you engage it with the foot switch. Factory setting ramped up much to quickly IMO. You can also add a volume pedal and adjust the echo speed on the fly. And you can add a tap tempo switch in the volume pedals place. Unfortunately it wasn’t built in. But it’s an option for tap tempo fanatics. There are some other delay modes on it but I tend to use setting 1 (original EP3) or setting 2 which is based on the Memory Man bucket brigade (darker) delay.

To me, the Deluxe is a simple modern classic. I literally stopped searching for delay pedals.

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
I am a huge fan of the Stanley FX Blue Nebula, which emulates any number of vintage Echoes, including the Echorec, and has a preamp that is astounding. it also has an Echoplex, an RE-301, a Vox Long Tom, and just about any number of other vintage tape and magnetic drum echo units, plus an excellent emulation of Abbey Road’s Plate Reverb.

NJDevil

Country Gent
Jul 9, 2014
Commack, NY
Have been gassin for a Belle Epoch Deluxe, AND an Echorec,, thinkin about sellin my Plethora X5 to fund both,, just not usin the X5 enough, and ALWAYS searching for the perfect echo. Anyone have the Echorec?
I tried them all and the Belle Epoch Deluxe is killer, BUT........I happily bought the Echorec. I have played the Boonar by Dawner Prince and it is excellent but found Catalinbread's Echorec to really be the platinum grade atmosphere creator that Gilmour really used with magic thru the '70s.

The Epoch Deluxe is a different beast and maybe more dynamic via options but I felt a bit sterile next to the Echorec. The Echorec thickens tone without loss of headroom when bypass. Tape vs. Drum where circuitry magic happily takes away the decay that time and use has on mechanical parts.

The Echorec? True atmospheric delay with a huge range of echo options based on a 4 drum echo machine with what seems like an endless supply possibilities where you will still be discovering new possibilities months after using buying one. It is the magic that has exudes a certain mojo that so many other options lack......and yes, I include Strymon as nice but nothing special considering both price and in comparison to the Catalinbread options.

The Echorec is the best, IMO.......not because I have it but I bought it because it was the best at what I wanted and was atmosphere-creating echo plus really bringing a richness to the tone.

If not the Echorec, I would strongly consider the Halo by Keeley that just came out. It is an atmosphere creating beast of magic also......check it out. Coming in 3rd would be the Belle Epoch Deluxe. All 3 are the pinnacle of rich echo. This is where I consider echo vs. delay to be transparent differences. For delay, I think Tavo's Nocturne Mystery Brain is the market best.....I know some will put it in the same category as the others as you can get rich atmospheric echo also but for me really has an application that is in a class all of it's own

In my opinion: 1) Catalinbread Echorec, 2) Halo by Keeley is a very close 2nd place and 3) 3rd is the Belle Epoch Deluxe and is ferociously dynamic.

For delay? Tons of options on the market but the Mystery Brain is the best. Yes it is an analog echo machine but is a different beast than the other 3 mentioned where you could own all of the other 3 but still need a Mystery Brain.

Byron

Country Gent
Sep 4, 2009
uk
I keep getting tempted by some kinda Echoplex sub, but TBH, I only use slapback and there's dozens of good pedals that will do that. Obviously there's the preamp options of that flappy big 70s denims effect but I dunno about that kinda thing.

ombudsman

Electromatic
Mar 19, 2022
Cincinnati OH
I have a real Binson pe603tu which I like for feedback effects when recording, and I have the Catalinbread pedal, but I'm not that into multitap delay on guitar, and the pedal doesn't do what I love about the
real units, specifically the feedback sound quality and the sound of the tube units as a preamp with the delays controlled by a momentary footswitch.

NJDevil

Country Gent
Jul 9, 2014
Commack, NY
Here’s the thing, despite not being the newest echo on the block with all the bells and whistles… the Epoch Deluxe just sounds amazing to my ears. You’re getting the real EP3 preamp with orange caps and stuff. I find the echo on it to be fantastic. The key for me is the Record head volume that affects the initial repeat. You can give it just the right amount of breakup. The echos on this sounds super sweet and not sterile like some other pedals out there.

On the inside you can also dial in the speed of oscillation for when you engage it with the foot switch. Factory setting ramped up much to quickly IMO. You can also add a volume pedal and adjust the echo speed on the fly. And you can add a tap tempo switch in the volume pedals place. Unfortunately it wasn’t built in. But it’s an option for tap tempo fanatics. There are some other delay modes on it but I tend to use setting 1 (original EP3) or setting 2 which is based on the Memory Man bucket brigade (darker) delay.

To me, the Deluxe is a simple modern classic. I literally stopped searching for delay pedals.
I think your very last line sums up "the magic" of these delays we've been discussing. The Epoch Deluxe vs. the Echorec........just eluding to a comparison gives nod to a unique magic/mojo these have that sets them apart from so many delays on the market. Both are atmosphere creators and very rich sounding. You like the Epoch Deluxe more and I like the Echorec more but just to talk about either really means we want something most of the marketplace simply cannot deliver. OK, I'll add the Boonar in there for good measure as it is playing the same game. I want to like the Echosex 3 but the one drum head approach feels very limiting.....of course just my opinion. I'm dying for that Keeley Halo but wonder how redundant it may be but still would love to play around with it for an hour.

I gravitated to the Echorec because I've played a Binson Echorec and love the richness of the tone....the shortcoming was that delay times cannot be changed....that's OK for 1972 but paying $4k for it in 2022 is just scary!

For a much different application, I still have to add Tavo's Mystery Brain, while not compared to the universe of the Epoch or Echorec, is a creation of another universe.....something far better than the delays on the market.

Summary?: I love these "toys" and how we can create with them!

Merc

Friend of Fred
May 6, 2017
Florida
I think your very last line sums up "the magic" of these delays we've been discussing. The Epoch Deluxe vs. the Echorec........just eluding to a comparison gives nod to a unique magic/mojo these have that sets them apart from so many delays on the market. Both are atmosphere creators and very rich sounding. You like the Epoch Deluxe more and I like the Echorec more but just to talk about either really means we want something most of the marketplace simply cannot deliver. OK, I'll add the Boonar in there for good measure as it is playing the same game. I want to like the Echosex 3 but the one drum head approach feels very limiting.....of course just my opinion. I'm dying for that Keeley Halo but wonder how redundant it may be but still would love to play around with it for an hour.

I gravitated to the Echorec because I've played a Binson Echorec and love the richness of the tone....the shortcoming was that delay times cannot be changed....that's OK for 1972 but paying $4k for it in 2022 is just scary!

For a much different application, I still have to add Tavo's Mystery Brain, while not compared to the universe of the Epoch or Echorec, is a creation of another universe.....something far better than the delays on the market.

Summary?: I love these "toys" and how we can create with them!

The Mystery Brain definitely ranks up there. Best two in one pedal out there for me. I always run my Atomic Brain (same Mystery Brain) preamp before both delays. It’s absolutely magic paired with either of pedal.

For Binson copies, the only pedal I can compare the Boonar to from experience with is the Volante. Between the two I prefer the Boonar. Maybe I’m just fooled and mesmerized by that green light… haha. I had considered the Echosex 2 T7E. In reality, the Boonar is good enough for me.

From what I recall in past threads, @gtttrrr has been yearning for an Epoch Deluxe for a while. He may need to finally pick one up to stop all those sleepless nights. Plus the countless hours spent comparing videos and reviews. If he only knew the power or Epoch Deluxe.

6C253975-9F5D-4398-95BA-EC7B95328555.jpeg

gtttrrr

Country Gent
Dec 7, 2011
United States
The Mystery Brain definitely ranks up there. Best two in one pedal out there for me. I always run my Atomic Brain (same Mystery Brain) preamp before both delays. It’s absolutely magic paired with either of pedal.

For Binson copies, the only pedal I can compare the Boonar to from experience with is the Volante. Between the two I prefer the Boonar. Maybe I’m just fooled and mesmerized by that green light… haha. I had considered the Echosex 2 T7E. In reality, the Boonar is good enough for me.

From what I recall in past threads, @gtttrrr has been yearning for an Epoch Deluxe for a while. He may need to finally pick one up to stop all those sleepless nights. Plus the countless hours spent comparing videos and reviews. If he only knew the power or Epoch Deluxe.

View attachment 187181
Spot on correct here….

Merc

Friend of Fred
May 6, 2017
Florida
@NJDevil

Semi off topic. You mentioned you’ve played a real Binson. Have you ever played real tape? And if so, which one? I’m guessing the Binson was your preferred. It would likely be dreamy for most here to play either.