Case Your Ladies...

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Jerzey Bob, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Gretschie

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    If you're not in a controlled environment, keep 'em in the case. The difference in humidity can be as much as 15%.

In addition to the strategically located humi-paks in the case, I throw a towel over her as added protection. When it feels a "humidified", I hang it on the nearest door knob 'til it feels dry to the touch.

Inside the case was ~45%. Humidity around here can get to ~90%+ & still be cool enough to leave the a/c off.

IMG-20210721-01337.jpg IMG-20210721-01335.jpg

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    Robbie, calebaaron666 and Merc like this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Important and good advice ;)

Jerzey Bob likes this.
  3. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Keeping them in their cases keeps the toddler fingerprints and dog nose smudges off as well as insuring they don't fall over unexpectedly. Better safe than sorry.

I'd happily trade some of our Indiana 95% humidity to those folks out west for some drier air. COPD doesn't like the wet air.

Back in Black and Jerzey Bob like this.
  4. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Nobody puts Baby in a corner…

TSims1, Jerzey Bob and mr coffee like this.
  5. ronbo

ronbo Gretschie

Feb 28, 2012
    Broomfield, Colorado
    I've always kept my acoustics humidified in the case in Colorado...bad things can happen in a short amount of time in this very dry climate. Never humidified my electrics...they're made of plywood or lacquer/poly covered wood and have never seen any issues over many years. I do keep the fretboards well conditioned, since that's the only 'real' wood on them and have seen rosewood crack. A buddy has humidified a couple of his electrics and I definitely see some rust-like tarnish on his electronics, so I told him it was unnecessary to do that...

Jerzey Bob likes this.
  6. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Gretschie

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    not in a corner, that's her spot on my cozy over-stuffed couch.

7. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Gretschie

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    I treat my semi as a hollow in this respect.

Robbie and dmunson like this.
  8. In the summer the first thing i do at gigs is put the case out on the stage, then after a few, open it, then place on stand while i set up. The temperature and humidity does magical things to them. Action goes off, tuning cant be performed until the guitar has reached the outdoor temp, it either goes completely sharp or flat. With the exception of lapsteels, this effects all my guitars accept the new rancher 12 string, which i am guessing has so much wood in it the neck cant move. I keep humid packs in all my guitars, but as mentioned earlier in the thread, the case isn’t a tropical rain forest, which is what central VA feels like in the humid summer months.

Jerzey Bob likes this.
  9. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Great advice, everyone should be aware of conditions. My fiend used to throw his Martin D28 in the back of his car and eat lunch after church on Sundays while that guitar baked in the heat. He eventually had to replace the bridge and it was never quite the same.

Jerzey Bob likes this.
  10. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Or hang them directly above a humidifier, which is what I’ve done for the last 15 years.

Jerzey Bob likes this.
  11. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Gretschie

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    I'm stingy when it comes to utilities, a/c, heat, etc., so my windows usually determine the environment.

12. Back in Black

Back in Black Country Gent

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Hey Slim,

I'm not worried about the nose prints, and the tiny smudges as much as the dragon burns.

When he's off his leash, the little bugger thinks he owns the house.

BIB.

Dragon.png

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    Bob Perrone, Shock and Jerzey Bob like this.
  13. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Just get him a pile of gold and he'll leave your guitars alone.

Back in Black likes this.
  14. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Yup!
    Here in Maine the temp and humidity can change on a dime. I keep all my guitars in cases when they’re not being played.
    I would love to have them out and displayed on stands, but after a few close calls, I’ve learned my lesson.

Jerzey Bob likes this.
  15. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Gretschie

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    lol one of the coolest p-shop pics I've seen in a while...

16. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Gretschie

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    Same, I keep Bessie, the dumpster find that started all this, on a stand. She's been thru hell & I figure she's beyond any more damage from weather, & looking at her, & her at me, is somehow very moving. Gretschin' on the other hand, I'm super protective of, as much as I'd like to put her on a stand, just to admire both my Ladies. I'm fortunate not to have to worry about rug rats or critters.

calebaaron666 likes this.
  17. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Gretschie

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    I've read this is especially important w/ nitro finishes. Another thing I find is Gretschin' stays in tune very well cased, whereas Bessie stays in tune as long as it's about the same temp as when I tuned her last.

18. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I always stored my vintage Gretsch guitars outside of their cases to avoid binding-rot.
    I strongly believe that the fumes from the old plastic will accelerate the rotting.

19. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I’ve heard that many times. My own take on all of this, is to look to people that store many guitars, which is to say music stores. Most of them control humidity and keep their guitars on hangers. I’ve been doing this since I bought my house, 16 years ago, using slatwall, and have had zero problems.

loudnlousy likes this.
  20. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Gretschie

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    This morning, in & out of the case...

IMG-20210726-01346.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.