Case rebuild/refurb?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Rmccamey, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Rmccamey

Rmccamey Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Texas
    I have the original Gretsch labeled hard case to my '62 Tennessean but it is in bad shape. The core itself is solid and intact as are the hinges but the latches are bent, rusted, or broken, the vinyl(?) exterior is rolling up at the edges in several places, and the handle broke off and has been MIA for many years. The padding and felt interior are literally falling apart. I understand the need to preserve the provenance of this old gear but unless this case is worth it's weight in gold as is, for all practical purposes it is unusable. Do you know of anyone who does refurb/rebuild on old cases?

2. Teledriver

Teledriver Gretschie

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    Pictures of the case may help get you some feedback. Easy answer is replace it, cheaply or with an honest Gretsch case. One is cheap the other not. Getting the case restored may not be worth the money.

Scott and Rmccamey like this.
  3. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    Rmccamey likes this.
  4. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    To me, cases are meant to be beaten up, bashed, and abused---as long as they protect the guitar. The idea of "vintage" cases seems odd. You'd need a case for your case. It'd be nice to have a period case in great shape, but, if you use it as it's intended, it'll get beaten and marred---and it'll protect the guitar. I'd just get a new one if needed.

Rmccamey likes this.
  5. Rmccamey

Rmccamey Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Texas
    Thanks, all, that's about what I was expecting to hear. Yes the case has done it's job but I think it is time to move on. I like the look and price of these Gators but they don't make one to fit the Tennessean, at least according to my measurements.

https://www.gatorcases.com/journeyman-series-wood-guitar-cases/

6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I got the original Geibb case for my trusty old 70ies Flying V that I intended to rebuilt to it`s former glory.
    All of my friends told me to leave it exactly as it is because it looks so cool to them. After consulting a professional case builder I surrendered and will leave it as it is:
    IMG_2862.JPG

thunder58, pilgrim and Rmccamey like this.
  7. Rmccamey

Rmccamey Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Texas
    Yep. If mine still had a handle, I could almost use it, beat up and all. With no handle and questionable latches, I'm afraid it is DOA. All the hardware is attacked with small rivets (?), so replacement would be difficult for an amateur.

YouFellowRebels likes this.
  8. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've seen replacement handles that are a universal fit for many things. Handles seem to be the first thing to break.

Rmccamey likes this.
  9. YouFellowRebels

YouFellowRebels Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    Minnesota
    Rivets aren’t too hard to take out, just takes some patience. Worked in making canvas bags for a while and it’s not all hard. If you were close I’d do it for you!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    Rmccamey likes this.
  10. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I agree with many others. If it's worth keeping (and a buyer might like it, even thrashed) seal up the original case and safely store it away in a manner that will preserve what is left and buy a new case that will work for the guitar.

You will have all the functionality you could want; preserve an artifact; save yourself a lot of time; and probably save a bit of money, too.

Rmccamey likes this.
  11. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    NC
    There is a Facebook group called Vintage Musical Instrument Cases. A gentleman named Steve Kirtley runs the place. He and a number of others know a ton of stuff about cases of all types. They helped me find, and talked me through replacing a handle on a case for a 69 Gibson SJ 200. Great group of people. You might want to join that group and they can give you some guidance. They will also want to see pics in order to help. Good luck with it.

j.s.c, BrianW and Rmccamey like this.
  12. Rmccamey

Rmccamey Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Texas
    Great idea, thank you Dak.

13. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    RM,

I'm with slim,

Case hardware that is not serviceable can be easily replaced, I'd be inclined to leave the relic'd finish alone, or stabilize the wear and coat the case with a clear mat finish lacquer.

Gibson charges $700. for a ''historic'' hand relic'd vintage style Les Paul case.

Nothing beats ''true aging''.

As far as ''worth its weight in gold''...every instrument I own is worth its weight in gold...to me!

BIB.

Historic Replica Les Paul Case (Hand Aged) 2.png Historic Replica Les Paul Case (Hand Aged).png

Rmccamey likes this.
  14. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I think for the price your going to pay to rebuild this " unusable " case , I'd treat my '62 Tennessean to a new case . I bet a new case would also protect your guitar much better that the old case would .

Henry and Rmccamey like this.
  15. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    What does it look like? Some after market handles fit well on some cases, some dont due to case curvature at the handle. Do you have the old handle? A pic will help ID the hinge type etc.
    I agree you need to keep that case mostly original. The easy answer is buy a new case and store that one for preserving .

Rmccamey likes this.
  16. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    The handle on my 57 6120 case had been replaced before i bought it back in 99.

I've never bothered looking for an original type handle.

Rmccamey likes this.
  17. Rmccamey

Rmccamey Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Texas
    Thanks all. I think you have confirmed my suspicions. I think I'll store the old case and put the Tennessean in something new. Any recommendations? As I said, I like the look (blond...and the price) of the Gator Journeyman but they don't have a case to fit. I know she deserves the best, by I don't need an aircraft quality, bullet proof case and my budget is in the sub-$200 range. Thanks.

18. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    A saddle shop or cobbler could make you a handle maybe replace the fittings as well. But if I were to tackle refinishing a case it would cost more than a good quality new one. If you plan to toss it tackle it yourself, you have nothing to lose and a fun project.

Rmccamey likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.