Carlos Santana Explains Why He Left Gibson for PRS Guitars, Believes He Saved the Company With...

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by ZackyDog, Sep 15, 2020.

1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    ....Advice He Gave Paul Reed Smith.

Hello and I sincerely hope you are all healthy.

[​IMG]

LINK

Gretsch was a guitar, but at least for me with all respect to Gretsch, it's not something that I ever wanted to sound like.

"I just wanted to sound more like - because it's very difficult to play blues on a Gretsch guitar. You can play country music and you can play Beatles songs, but you can't play the blues, or at least when you try to play the blues, it sounds a little nasal. ----
    Carlos Santana

:D
    Nasal to me = twang

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  2. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    IMHO, there's a style of music, unique, often copied by others (i.e. Gary Moore :confused: :D) but never rivalled, that Mr Santana plays perfectly : his style :cool::cool::cool: - and tone :cool::cool::cool::cool: . And this has nothing to do with Blues o_O.

Indeed ! :) Sorry, Mr Santana... ;)

A+!

3. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Apart from the Gretsch comments he made, I think it's a pretty interesting article. I like how he wanted PRS to make affordable guitars for younger people.

@Waxhead
    Carlos gave a couple of companies---Mesa Boogie & PRS---a boost up, so to speak?

Waxhead likes this.
  4. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    if Santana thinks Gretsch's are nasal, what does he think about strats :eek::eek::eek:

5. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I don't think Carlos is insulting Gretsch at all . Carlos speaks from his soul . Sure , Brian Setzer can play rockabilly on a Dean Guitar or an Ibenez Iceman Paul Stanley model , but would Brian achieve that rockabilly sound he's going for ?

6. afire

afire Country Gent

Yeah, I don't think I ever would have characterized him as a blues player.

sgarnett likes this.
  7. pmarinovich

pmarinovich Electromatic

Nov 17, 2018
    Louisiana
    Carlos' playing is derived from pentatonic blues riffs. His music is not technically blues, but his influences like Peter Green, etc., were blues players. Having said that, here in New Orleans there are some great blues players who use Gretschs. That looks wrong...what is the plural of Gretsch? Gretsches? Please don't say "Gretsch's" Gretschs is an awful lot of consecutive consonants. :)

section2, drmilktruck and Henry like this.
  8. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Gretsch should definitely sell a Sister Rosetta signature blues machine with that guitar... she was great. But I think it’s a basic anniversary model which has been done...

RomanS, calebaaron666 and Henry like this.
  9. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I don't believe he is either. Speaking of souls, I love this one:

Waxhead, section2, Echocat23 and 3 others like this.
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Not to mention the dreaded unforgivable "Apostrophe S".

Great band name, tho.

Tadhg and MTurner like this.
  11. sanhozay

sanhozay Electromatic

Mar 17, 2014
    usa
    carlos is never short on rhetoric & colorful analogies. given the state gretsch guitars were in when santana was passing through, he's pretty spot on with his description. it's a chore to go beyond the 15th fret on a 6120 with out some major maneuvering & hand magic & they howl like a pack of wolves when doing the carlos thing. and not to mention most of them were, literally, coming undone at the seams, by 1978. i know there's other Gguitars and jeff beck proved the duo jet can do just about anything in the world. but only if you're jeff beck.

12. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    To be honest I don't think I could really hear Carlos Santana on a Gretsch, yeah you can totally play blues on a Gretsch but his sound to me is just not gretsch in any way so I get why he said what he did.

13. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Pete played some “Maximum R&B” on his Gretsch. Although, in that classic The Who poster he is holding a Ric.

interesting article, Tom Johnston is another fan, and endorser, of the PRS.

14. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I can agree with sanhozay .. I play lead in a band and with Gretsch it is kind of hampering on some models to get higher register stuff if not impossible but I love them just the same.. that’s why I keep a Strat and Les Paul in my arsenal.

BuddyHollywood, sanhozay and ZackyDog like this.
  15. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Sounds like the blues to me.

16. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Stephen Stills: Gretsch: it's my country guitar.

MikeSchindler likes this.
  17. pmarinovich

pmarinovich Electromatic

Nov 17, 2018
    Louisiana
    The world is full of great, dedicated artists. You can't make a stereotype, or rule, or convention, or tradition, faster than some amazing player out there can break it with ease.

LivingMyDream and dougmon like this.
  18. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Santana, he opened for Janis Joplin in 67’ I think it was. It was at the Filmore West. I was just a few feet from center stage. I had never heard of him. He was amazing, been a fan ever since.

I won’t ever argue with than man,

Of ya, Janis rocked it....

19. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    And Sam too?

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.