Car Wraps .... ever wrap a guitar ?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by thunder58, May 24, 2020.

1. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Did you ever used a Car Wrap instead of painting a guitar ?

A few weeks ago I was working and I saw this car and the color attracted me ( blue ) . It was just different , something about the shade . I stoped and spoke the the young man and he told me it was a " wrap " and explained the process to me . ( I'm old school , honestly never heard of this ) Seems to me to be a faster , cleaner way to liven' up your car .
    So I was thinking ......when it comes to building your own guitar as many of you do here , have you ever thought about " wrapping " your guitar instead of painting it ? Has anyone done it ? Pics if you have please

rockinforJesus likes this.
  2. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    mrfixitmi and thunder58 like this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
  4. rake_ether

rake_ether Gretschie

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    A number of weeks ago I started a thread asking this question, particularly using specific guitar wrap products. No one responded that they had done it. This company has hundreds of wraps. https://www.skinyourskunk.com/index.php

5. RomanS

RomanS Gretschie

May 26, 2010
    Vienna, Austria
    Most original Duo Jets had drum wrap on the top, even plain black ones...

thunder58, mrfixitmi and MTurner like this.
  6. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    NC
    I'm not sure it is possible to completely wrap a guitar. The problem is there are so many tight curves, eased edges etc on a guitar there is no way I can figure to avoid wrinkles. If someone has, I would be interested. It's also easier on flattops vs. archtops. My paisley Telelcaster is what I would call a front and back cover. People have used drum wrap, fabric, etc to cover fronts and backs. I have had some cool looking tolex in my Reverb cart forever with the thought of using it on something.

thunder58 and wabash slim like this.
  7. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top once saw a picture of a guitar that was resurrected from the flood. It looked so interesiting that he decided to copy it`s design on foil and put it on his and Dusty`s stage instruments:
    upload_2020-5-24_14-7-19.jpeg

He calls it "The Floaters".

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  8. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Gretschie

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    very interesting hmmm

thunder58 likes this.
  9. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
  10. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    What about cost? I looked into a wrap for my Miata and it turns out I could get a good quality paint job for less.

thunder58 and wabash slim like this.
  11. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Drum wrap is thick and tough. Car wrap is basically a giant sticker, heated with hot air to mold it to a car's curves. One scratch and it can tear. It's not what I'd call permanent---it's a giant sticker. Pricey, too.

I've seen guitars dipped in the same paint based set ups that they use to camouflage bows and gunstocks. It's a paint based design floated on water, and it lasts. Or opt for an artist created paint job, either rattle can or air brush.

Paint wise, consider something automotive. Again, auto paint can be pricey, especially for custom colors.

12. fatfingers

fatfingers Gretschie

Oct 15, 2013
    New Jersey, USA
    y'all realize it's only a matter of time before...........................tone wrap

you heard it here first
    lol

thunder58, dak55 and Sabato like this.
  13. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    thunder58 and MTurner like this.
  14. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    That's warp...

thunder58 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.