Car wax to polish a guitar?

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by dlew919, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    My guitar tech who also builds and refinishes guitars turned me onto McGuires a few years ago. I kept asking him how he made my 46 year old 335 look so good and he showed me the bottle of McGuires detailer/polish. Hasn't hurt the finish on any of my guitars, old or new. The other good thing is it doesn't leave residue on the guitar like most guitar polishes I've used over the years.

mrfixitmi and Runamok like this.
  2. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Bet it’s this one?
    [​IMG]

mrfixitmi likes this.
  3. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    BTW, Lemon Pledge is good enough for John Suhr. He knows a thing or two about guitars. ;)

mrfixitmi likes this.
  4. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I Haven't tried that one. The one I've been using is a spray Quik Detailer in a dark red plastic bottle.

mrfixitmi and Ricochet like this.
  5. Hickeroar

Hickeroar Gretschie

Oct 4, 2020
    Texas
    PRS makes a guitar polish that's effectively a car-wax, and it works great. "Wax on," let it dry, "wax off."

mrfixitmi likes this.
  6. dlew919

dlew919 Country Gent

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    You’ve got me. What does that stand for?

7. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    As I am sure everyone is aware, there is no such thing as scratch "remover" unless you are actually filling In the scratch .

Scratch remover products just scratch the rest of the surface to match your scratch, like planing wood. It is not just cleaning, it is rubbing off material like sand paper.

Gregor and mrfixitmi like this.
  8. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Just my two cents:

It's fun to discover that the "special sauce" on a burger is only salad dressing or that some company rebottles something and triples the price.
    But what is the big deal here? Are people trying to save a few pennies?

Have those car products been tested on Nitro finishes? Aren't cars baked to harden the paint, was your guitar baked at the factory? Cars are finished with clear coat, right? Many auto products are made for use on clear coat, not bare paint.
    Cars have to deal with acid rain and road grit and searing sunlight and all kind of things that our guitars never see.

I bought a bottle of Fender guitar polish and another of F-One oil for my fretboards and I don't care about screwing around trying to find something that likely won't work any better than what I use now, and those two bottles will last me forever.

JMO

Gregor and Runamok like this.
  9. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I think this thread is intended for people who don't already have "sunk costs".

10. Roy Clark

Roy Clark Synchromatic

Jun 16, 2017
    Bat cave.
    I used what Ron said on my expense Custom 77 boutique I got used. He makes expensive boutique stuff. I ran out of guitar cleaner. He said most cleaners use the same thing. And say it is different stuff as a marketing ploy. So he is older than me. His first guitar was a Harmony Jupiter sold by Sears years ago. His dad bought it for him. He still has it.

So I thought he has played for years. Knows his stuff. Makes expensive guitars. I'm glad I listened to him. My Facebook friend Scott Grove Doctor Groovy says do not use anything but water. My guitar come out looking great. So Scott can use his water. Water is fine for some things too.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    thunder58 likes this.
  11. Roy Clark

Roy Clark Synchromatic

Jun 16, 2017
    Bat cave.
    A lot uses Naphtha. Dave of Dave's World Of Fun Stuff uses it and works on customers guitars in the YouTube he dose. It never hurt anything so far in the video's. A lot of players use it.

12. Roy Clark

Roy Clark Synchromatic

Jun 16, 2017
    Bat cave.
    I used what Ron said on my expense Custom 77 boutique I got used. He makes expensive boutique stuff. I ran out of guitar cleaner. He said most guitar cleaners cleaners use the same thing. And say it is different stuff as a marketing ploy. So he is older than me. His first guitar was a Harmony Jupiter sold by Sears years ago. His dad bought it for him. He still has it.

So I thought he has played for years. Knows his stuff. Makes expensive guitars. I'm glad I listened to him.

Back in Black likes this.
  13. Bob Perrone

Bob Perrone Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    allentown, pa
    Try just strapping it to the roof. No soap in your eyes and your car gets cleaned too! :0)

Runamok and mbkri like this.
  14. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Beaumont, CA
    Sorry, I jumped ahead and didn't read all of the posts....

Anyway, I have used a number of car polishes and waxes over the years on my guitars. Both solid body and hollows. I've always loved the way Mother's California Gold smells. But, I have always hated having to worry about the white haze getting into every crack, or around every piece of hardware attached tot he guitar.

I've switched over to the Gibson orange bottle polish. Easier, faster and works really nicely. Now, I use the Gibson polish on everything. No haze to polish off.

As for silicone.... I used to use Pledge on all of my guitars. Then, years later, after finding guitar forums on the Interwebs, I stopped using it. A couple months later, finish cracks started appearing on my guitar. It wasn't the silicone causing the cracks, it was the fact that the Pledge had been protecting the guitar. I also painted a few cars and know all about silicone fisheyes.... But, i don't feel bad about using it back in the day.... At least I was using something! LOL

15. Pledging & bareback guitar.

Playing in the hot sun too often & seeing what arm sweat has eventually done to the solid top in my favorite acoustic: recommends some kind of methodical cleaning, if not polish. The finish is gone. Call it relicked.

Is that what happened to Willie Nelson’s guitar Trigger?

Is it that much different with an electric & a sealed finish?

16. Well said about “secret sauce.” People who use really weird stuff can report back in a few years with the results.
    I made a mistake using a product on a guitar top which slowly made the satin finish a little fluid & in result a satin finish guitar that has a high gloss in the areas “cleaned.”

The Grease in this gravy! It still sounds great, but it looks like it was a student from cosmetology class got ahold of it.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    MrWookiee likes this.
  17. Gregor

Gregor Country Gent

Y
    Yep, wore a hole right through the top. Lol.

18. dspellman

dspellman Electromatic

Jul 4, 2020
    Los Angeles
    I confess -- for modern guitars I often use Meguiars Cleaner Wax in the burgundy bottle. This stuff: https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/meguiars-cleaner-wax-a1216-16-oz-liquid

It's just fine for acoustic and hollow body guitars as well.

For others including nitro finishes, I use carnauba (usually sold in one-pound cans as floor wax).

19. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Clearly Willie used car wax and rubbed to hard one day.

MrWookiee and Henry like this.
  20. dspellman

dspellman Electromatic

Jul 4, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Never use real lemon oil on your fretboards. It's for cooking.
    "Lemon oil" as referred to by a lot of suggestions, is something like Old English, a mineral oil with a very small percentage of solvents for cleaning. There's no lemon anything in Old English lemon oil. In the end, plain mineral oil is probably the best for fretboards, and a very tiny amount of it, wiped off after a few minutes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.