Can't get within five feet of my amp

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by KennyC, Aug 31, 2020.

1. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    A new guitar that is not working correctly, that stinks .

I hope you get it resolved.

KennyC likes this.
  2. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    This is a guitar with a wooden bridge base. The ground goes to the tailpiece.

3. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    Electrical can be fixed. There’s not a lot going on in there.. pots, Jack, switch, pups, grounding...if you like it’s playability hold tight!
    Could be worse... twisted neck, cracked joint, fret board hump...
    on and on.....

KennyC and Scott like this.
  4. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Should go back to get repaired

5. afire

afire Country Gent

You see, guys, this is why I stick to vintage. None of these headaches. :cool:

6124Bassman and Henry like this.
  6. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Synchro,

I have seen a few, where a small hole is drilled in the wood base, with the ground tail being sandwiched between the top of the base and the under-side of the bridge.

If you are correct, checking ground under Bigsby is a easy as checking the ground at the bridge.

Either way, these would be my ground check locations, anything more and the guitar's going back.

Best,thanks,

BIB.

pmac11 likes this.
  7. Teledriver

Teledriver Gretschie

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    Can’t get within five feet...that is really odd! Tells my small brain something in the guitar is being influenced by something in any amplifier (duh). Exposed wire touching something metal it shouldn’t be touching? That could make the guitar into an antenna...
    I don’t know, just really has my curiosity going. My first thought is something with the jack or the toggle. No help I know, but without voiding a warranty you could have a look. If you got one of those dental mirrors from a hardware store you could look under the hood to see if anything is obvious.
    Edit: whoops! Painted f-holes!! Sorry for that idea.☹️

8. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    It sounds like the tailpiece isn’t correctly grounded. Simple in theory.
    I happen to own one and have had the wiring harness out. I have never seen a Gretsch with a floating bridge grounded in that manner.

I couldn't imagine sending an otherwise good guitar back for such a simple problem. At most, this is an hour's work and quite possibly 10 minute's work. Worst case scenario, route a ground wire in through the hole in the end block and solder it to the output jack. Best case, the ground wire is in place and the insulation needs to be stripped back a bit further. It's a very annoying problem, with a very simple solution. If Kenny lived nearby I'd do it as a favor.

KennyC likes this.
  9. KennyC

KennyC Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Morristown, TN
    I have an appointment on the 14th with an authorized Gretsch repair shop, hopefully I can report back that the problem is fixed.

Hammerhands, section2 and thunder58 like this.
  10. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    If you have an ohm meter, I can suggest a very simple test. Plug in a patch cable and test continuity from the strings to the "ring" side of the patch cable. If there is no continuity, or even if it is intermittent, you've tracked it down.

11. KennyC

KennyC Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Morristown, TN
    Synchro,

Just a FYI

My guitar has the following pickups:
    Bridge Pickup: TV Jones® Super'Tron™
    Neck Pickup: TV Jones® Super'Tron™ Classic Plus

Plugging guitar cable into guitar and using a VOM on 20K ohm scale, measuring from probe on strings to probe on tip of cable you have the following (all potentiometers up all the way):

Switch set to neck pickup: 4.02
    Switch set to both pickups: 2.64
    Switch set to bridge pickup: 7.58

All three switch positions strings to ground on guitar cable: 0

From TV Jones site: Output/Power - DC Resistance is not entirely an indicator of true pickup output, although it can be helpful.
    Bridge: Resistance: 4.8k / Inductance 2.64H
    Bridge: Resistance: 7.8k / Inductance 2.83H

12. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    All of that makes sense. Maybe there's a cable shield which isn't grounded.

MentalTossFlycoon likes this.
  13. KennyC

KennyC Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Morristown, TN
    Probably is something that simple. While I have the skill set and tools to fix this myself (I use to build guitars), I am developing a tremor in my right hand and at this point it is intermittent so I would not chance getting close to my guitar with a screwdriver as I never know when the shake will begin, I can picture in my mind putting a big scratch in that beautiful Gretsch. So I'll patiently wait till the 14th and let the Gretsch tech take care of it. Thanks for your input and all the others who have provided input.

14. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I'm certain that it can be dealt with effectively.

Best wishes for a positive result.

KennyC likes this.
  15. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I had to laugh when you noted the multibrand dealer within a 20 minute drive. I suspect I know exactly who you're talking about.

16. Medium John

Medium John Electromatic

I was thinking the bridge is not grounded , but , how do you ground a bridge that sets on top of a piece of wood . For that matter how is a LP bridge grounded ? I'm so confused .. Guess I'll have to open one up and see ....

17. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    You ground the strings at the tailpiece. SOP for archtops.

Medium John likes this.
  18. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    MJ,

Read my post #26, ,my 2005 Duo Jet is grounded like this.

This guitar came with a Space Control bridge on a wood base, and is grounded at the bridge, I discovered the ground on this floating bridge when I replaced the Space Control bridge with a Rocking Bar bridge.

The ground wire comes through the top of the guitar, through a small hole in the base adjacent to the right bridge post, a tiny ''eye'' clip is attached to the end of the wire, the eyelet goes over the threaded bridge adjustment post, the metal bridge makes contact with the metal eyelet via the threaded post, very simple, very effective, although somewhat delicate.the eyelet is under the height adjustment wheel and does not affect/interfere with bridge height adjustment.

I also changed the pressed ''smooth head bolt on the Bigsby arm with the correct George Harrison dome top Phillips bolt.

This guitar is not played often. When I replace strings, I replace one at a time to keep the bridge base from moving and potentially damaging the ground wire.

Just one of life's little inconveniences, fifteen years now, no problems.

BIB.

IMG_0231.JPG

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    Medium John and thunder58 like this.
  19. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Did you buy that guitar new?

Medium John likes this.
  20. Cass

Cass Electromatic

May 24, 2020
    Melbourne
    I'm thinking that your tests point away from an earthing problem, and wondering if one pick up is at fault. Easy to test - get it noisy, and use the selector switch to toggle between the pick ups. If it's noisy on one, and quiet on the other, it points toward a problem in the noisy pick up. The response from TV Jones maybe supports that idea. But - 1) I'm no expert, and 2) I imagine you have done this already. Good luck, we'll be keen to hear how this goes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.