Can't get within five feet of my amp

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by KennyC, Aug 31, 2020.

1. KennyC

KennyC Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Morristown, TN
    Try to make this as brief as possible. I got a new Country Gentleman last week - G6122T-59 VS. I can not get this guitar closer than five feet from my amp (I actually have three amps and the same results on all three). It develops a terrible noise. I can move the guitar about eight feet away from the amp and the noise will quieten down significantly or I can lay the guitar horizontally with the pickups pointed towards the ceiling and the noise will go away, or turn the master volume on the guitar off and it will get quite. Consider these things: I only play clean (I play fingerstyle) with a little bit of reverb, so I don't use pedals or effects. No, there is nothing wrong with the amp and no there is nothing wrong with the cord. Both have been thoroughly tested with other guitars - all quite. My cord is Mogami and my amps are Fishman Loudbox Artist, Vox AC15, and Roland Blues Cube Artist. I do not play loud. Volume is not past three on any of these. Both my Gretsch 5420 and 5620 played completely quite on these settings and amp and cord as well as my other guitars. I've also ran a ground wire from the chassis of the amp to various metal parts on the G6122, it doesn't change a thing. The sound is constant in that touching metal with your hand does not make it stop. I have talked to TV Jones about this and they seem to think there may be a cold solder joint inside. So I just wanted to know if anyone else has a G6122T59 and is your guitar quite or does it make noise. I realize I have a warranty, but rather than ship it back I would prefer to get it fixed myself. Also, putting headphones on and plugging the guitar into my Clarett interface also gives me noise.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  2. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    That's not right. Sounds like there's a short somewhere rather than a bad ground or a cold solder joint. For what you paid for an op notch instrument, this shouldn't be happening. I'd return it as it's unplayable. It never should have left the shop, much less the factory in that condition. Lousy QC on everyone's part. I take it you didn't play it before you got it.

pmac11, MikeSchindler and 19MGB76 like this.
  3. KennyC

KennyC Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Morristown, TN
    No, there was no way of me playing it before I got it. I bought it online from the big Gretsch dealer in NY. I'm in TN.

4. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Dealer should've checked it first. The way it is, it's unusable. Chasing down an electrical issue is a PITA. You shouldn't have to deal with the aggravation of that, and the dealer should have dealt with it in the first place. If the seller's at all reputable, they'll make it right.

KennyC likes this.
  5. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    If you don't want to send it back to NYC, I'm pretty sure the Gretsch warranty will allow you to take it to any authorized Gretsch repair centre for a repair. I'd suggest calling Gretsch to confirm that you can take it to a local shop for a warranty repair, and ask them to confirm that you can get a replacement at no cost if the problem can't be fixed.

Scott, Hammerhands, ZackyDog and 3 others like this.
  6. KennyC

KennyC Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Morristown, TN
    There are two authorized Gretsch repair shops about an hours drive from me and I'm going to see if I can take it to one of them in the next couple of days.

Bertotti, pmac11, MTurner and 2 others like this.
  7. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    I wonder if it's something like the ground and lead reversed?

8. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Sounds electrical. I have a 2012 G6122-1959 and it’s not at all prone to feedback. Don’t despair, it will be repairable.

KennyC and hcsterg like this.
  9. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
  10. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    For me, the wiring or the pickups have an unshielded or not GND'ed part or section that picks hum of the area (appliances, power transformer of your amps), or maybe it's a wrong or missing routing of the GND (too long or unlogical). o_O

That said, you have done the right preliminary checkings to circle the issue : good ! :cool:

As @Synchro said : it's repairable :) indeed - I saw and cured this several times, on cheap as well as on costy guitars... :confused:

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

new6659, pmac11 and KennyC like this.
  11. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    So there's a " red flag " to me right there ........ Just my thought here ......

** You've gotten a new guitar last week and are thinking of sending it back ?
    ** I have talked to TV Jones about this ......

That right there tells me you may have changed out the pickups . If so .... don't let the dealer know you've altered the electrical system in a new guitar .... you may just have voided the warrentee should the dealer find out and he may not accept the guitar back . Believe me , " The BIG Gretsch dealer in NY " knows the business .

again , just my thought here

hcsterg likes this.
  12. lathoto

lathoto Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    The issue is with the guitar. Good ABA job to isolate it. I remember the days when I would dime my Silverface Princeton and control the "feedback field" generated with my Gretsch Nashville. When it was all dialed in it was really something to behold.

KennyC likes this.
  13. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    thunder58 likes this.
  14. KennyC

KennyC Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Morristown, TN
    It is hum, no squeal. I'm nowhere near Sparta. I am in East Tennessee - Morristown to be exact. I have John Brown (Recycled Sound) in Afton and Guitar Center in Knoxville who both are authorized Gretsch repair centers.

15. KennyC

KennyC Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Morristown, TN
    I have no idea why you say that's a red flag to you. Why wouldn't I contact TV Jones? They are the manufacture of the pickups in this guitar, so I went straight to the source. I have changed absolutely nothing in this guitar. And where did you come up with I'm thinking of sending it back? I actually said the opposite. I'm trying to identify the problem and find a resolution so I can enjoy the guitar. Right now I'm just playing it unplugged.

MikeSchindler and thunder58 like this.
  16. MentalTossFlycoon

MentalTossFlycoon Gretschie

Dec 22, 2018
    Texas
    I would be curious if this is occurring at different playing locations ( various gigs) or one playing location ( home studio). Are the amps plugged into one particular outlet or have different ones been used.

17. KennyC

KennyC Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Morristown, TN
    Yes the same occurs in different locations, i.e. took it to local music store and played through their amps, same noise. At home I have a dedicated circuit that I power my audio gear off of and it also has a power conditioner on it. I have several other guitars, none of them exhibit this behavior. It is certainly just this guitar. And I also took one of my amps downstairs and played on a different circuit and location only to have the same once again.

MentalTossFlycoon likes this.
  18. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Kenny,

The first thing I'd check if the guitar was mine is to see if there is a ground tail attached to the bridge, if there is, check to make sure the ground tail is making proper contact to the metal bridge component. There may have been a factory scratch pad under the bridge that was removed prior to the guitar being packed and shipped. removal of this pad, may have affected the bridge ground.

Failing that, don't tinker, the guitar needs professional attention, that does not void your warranty.

Your best bet may have to be a return trip for the guitar to NY. they will very likely pay for the return shipping, and FedEx works very quickly.

Be careful of ''small local Gretsch/multi brand dealers, I have one within a 20 minute drive, and I wouldn't trust them with this kind of problem sourcing/resolving.

Hoping this helps.

BIB.

Les Pedals, pmac11, KennyC and 2 others like this.
  19. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Sorry bud , didn't realize the pickups came with the guitar . Most folks around here upgrade to TV on their guitars , thought that's what you had done

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess from this

hcsterg likes this.
  20. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Thanks @Hammerhands , I see that now . BTW thats a beautiful guitar @KennyC , I hope you get this resolved soon so you can enjoy it the way it is intended

KennyC and Hammerhands like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.