Can't Decide Viking or Super Chet!

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Bengal65, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I dodn't know that. It's an interesting and unique feature for an archtop.

2. bobkat

bobkat Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    Wow cool! Isn't it like a 335 with a tone block down the middle?

3. Bengal65

Bengal65 Country Gent

Sep 11, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I read that there is no "sound block". I don't know if this refers to the ES-335 type or what. I read that there is bracing and posts. I'll find out shortly though.

4. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    IIRC it's a full hollow body, at least 3" thick. It probably has a soundpost.

5. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Yeah, they have a 2 1/2 inch body and it's 17 " wide.
    They started off with the usual 24 1/2 scale and then in the late 70's it went to 25 1/2 .

They sound great ,imo they don't sound exactly like the old guitars from the mid 60's but they still sound more Gretsch than Gibson, to me anyway!

6. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Here is Chet with his first one from the Finger Pickin Good album.
    Notice the different headstock more like Gibson but with a little hump over it!.
    [​IMG]

7. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Here is John Entwistle's Super Chet bought brand new at Manny's in NYC.
    Not again the headstock with the little birds on the T roof logo ,i love this !
    [​IMG]

8. Bengal65

Bengal65 Country Gent

Sep 11, 2009
    Houston, TX
    JC, Cool Stuff! The engineer in me is figuring out how to make a backup pickguard assembly (maybe trimmed in Gold). Need some plexiglass, paint, some wire, a little help from my graphics guy and these.....

[​IMG]

I found out the originals were made by CRL and this one is a CRL. Maybe not exactly the geometry, but it's 500K ohm full turn. Then I can figure out some knobs to go on these.

9. cashvillegnats

cashvillegnats Electromatic

Mar 14, 2010
    Florida
    New here. Thank you for the info attached to this post. Rather dispells the opinion concerning Baldwin-era Gretsch instruments. Especially the high end models

10. cashvillegnats

cashvillegnats Electromatic

Mar 14, 2010
    Florida
    New here. The Vikings I am familiar with were nearly possible to satisfactorily tune. Some actually had progressively slanted frets as a later attempt to remedy the situation.

There were two brass brads inserted into the top for the bridge placement and the "tuning fork bar" extended into a red, felt trimmed, hole. Beautiful guitar to look at.
    Super Chets are well covered in the rest of the posts. No need to let the anti Baldwin era comments dissuade you from the Super. High end guitars from then were among the best ever.

11. gringo

gringo Gretschie

Apr 12, 2009
    New Jersey
  12. Bengal65

Bengal65 Country Gent

Sep 11, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Hey thanks Gringo! LOL! That's the site I got the picture from. I think the 500K Ohm units can be made to work. I need to get some to see if the existing knobs can be screwed into the pot shafts. Gretsch use some really small threaded screws. They are like #4 or #5 diameter.

13. gringo

gringo Gretschie

Apr 12, 2009
    New Jersey
    Well Bengal I'd like to say 'great minds think alike' but never having had a Super Chet I don't have much to add here. It does strike me as strange that someone would pick this particular style of trimmer for this application since it's a thru-hole PCB mount type. Is there a printed circuit board under the pickguard that mounts the pots and filter components?
    Or is everything wired point-point like a standard harness?

14. Bengal65

Bengal65 Country Gent

Sep 11, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Like minds, think a like! :) It's point to point wiring and becomes a harness with a modular or directional plug at the end. The plug (male) plugs into the female connection inside the body. The pots do not use a base (like in the picture), but are actually part of the pickguard. The plexiglass guard was milled (or spot faced) to provide a "base" surface mounting area. The soldering tabs or leads go thru to the backside of the guard where the wires are soldered on. The pots become part of the pickguard, they way they did it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.