Can we talk amps here?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by NiterideGuitarist, Nov 24, 2020.

1. NiterideGuitarist

NiterideGuitarist Electromatic

Jun 4, 2016
    Rochester, NY
    LMAO! After getting less than half way thru your reply, I was pretty strongly thinking “Yep Fender! Guy.” Have a family member call me when you pass. I’ll stand up and say “Really Too bad, he only played thru a Fender!

Only kidding - had to throw that in. I have a small Peavey and yes a... a Fender Frontman and a Blackstar 3W w/ a 3W stereo speaker that works on batteries. Geez, I have GAS and AAS! (Don’t tell the wife)

VRomanojr likes this.
  2. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

From here, deep in the land of Traynor, I have to report that I haven't seen any old ones in quite awhile. Has anyone seen some lately?

3. BohemianLikeMe

BohemianLikeMe Gretschie

Apr 18, 2020
    Prague, CZ
    I think the word got out on them a few years back, and now people know how good the old ones are.

rake_ether and new6659 like this.
  4. Gregor

Gregor Synchromatic

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Hey, he's your grandson. I have one...bought him a nice drum set. They can do no wrong. Nice move on your part!

5. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    The Super was just that, Super. They were the perfect combination of tone stack, speakers and transformers and delivered a rich sound. I first played one in the early seventies and still remember the sound. I also remember that carrying one was a task for only the most burly among us. Heavy and awkward, they give the Twin Reverb a run for its money, when it comes to being hard to lug around.

Traynor, IMO, is the northland’s Fender. Excellent amps that deserve a great deal of respect. I’ve never owned one, but every time I’ve had anything to do with one, I came away impressed. Sounds like you made some good choices.

rake_ether and BohemianLikeMe like this.
  6. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Yep, I see them every day. I have a bunch of them.

The entire collection of Guitar Mates - from the YGM1 to the YGM-4, including the YGM-3 reissue. The entire collection of YBA-2 Bass Mates from the old 6v6 one to the more modern EL-84 models, both in heads and combos.

I have a pair of YBA-1 Bass Masters (my desert island amp) a Custom Special Reverb and a Reverb Master too.

On the modern scene, I have the aforementioned YGM-3 Reissue, a YCV20WR and a YGL-2.

Every one of them are excellent amps, and very reliable. They are built like tanks and made to last forever.

I have a pretty big collection of Fenders too, so I can give you comparisons.

If you have any questions, ask away.

7. BohemianLikeMe

BohemianLikeMe Gretschie

Apr 18, 2020
    Prague, CZ
    My impression, when talking with Canadian friends, is that Traynors are pretty much the gold standard up north. Garnets are also worth a look.

rake_ether likes this.
  8. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    Garnet Amps were always decent amps but much less numerous than Traynors. The Guess Who played Garnets as Gar Gillies (the owner) was a personal friend of the band's.

Gillies also invented the Herzog, a special effect that created the amazing lead sound in American Woman. Rumour has it that the Big Muff was created to emulate the Herzog sound.

BohemianLikeMe and new6659 like this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    They read pretty cool. I wonder what they are like. http://garnetamps.com/zog_story.htm

10. Rmccamey

Rmccamey Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Texas
    I just wish Traynor would offer their combos as head units, too.

11. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It's my understanding that the Garnet Herzog is basically a copy of a Fender Champ set up like an overdrive. Listen to any Guess Who tune to hear one.

Bertotti likes this.
  12. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    That’s basically what a Fender 6G15 is; a small amp, quite similar to a Champ, setup to drive a reverb pan and an added recovery section, which makes it function like a preamp.

The Surf guys used them and love the sound, but I can’t help but wonder how much of what they liked was a preamp effect of the 6G15, adding gain and sustain.

pmac11 and wabash slim like this.
  13. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    All spring reverbs are based on piezo phonograph technology. A low powered amp drives a piezo phono cartridge (piezo crystals work both ways) driving a mechanical signal down a spring into another piezo crystal cartridge into an amplifier. With a mix of the straight sound, and the delayed sound, you get a mechanical reverb. Thank the guys at Hammond organ for that. Their originals were vertically oriented in a 4' glass tube. I have an early '60s Fisher SpaceXpander that was designed for home stereo use. They recommend the tank be vertical with the send at the top and receive at the bottom. Most of the early tube driven reverb units only used a 1 watt amp (often a 6K6) as a driver. I'm not sure how much power a 6Gq5 sends to the output; I'd expect something closer to unity gain as they probably weren't looking to overdrive amps back then. The Herzog has a much hotter output.

Mark 6120 and Tony65x55 like this.
  14. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    Many of them were, and many can be easily converted. My current YGM-4, the Studio Mate, was originally in a very large and heavy 4x8" cab. Serious plywood in a Traynor cab!

Keeping the cab original, I removed the head and put it into a light pine head cabinet at 25 lbs. Still sounds great and it's a dream to move now.

All the original 60s and 70s YBA (Yorkville Bass Amp) series were made in heads and combos. Some are hard to find but they're out there.

Rmccamey, new6659 and pmac11 like this.
  15. NiterideGuitarist

Jun 4, 2016
    Rochester, NY

16. NiterideGuitarist

Jun 4, 2016
    Rochester, NY
    I hear what you are sayings and I agree. Wish I still had my metal flake green, white leather interior & Landon roof 77 Olds Cutlass!

I tell the better half all the time that I do have GAS, but what I buy I’ll enjoy till my last breath. I remind her when her shoes wear out that she throws them away. I ask her have you ever seen a vintage shoe!

new6659 and wabash slim like this.
  17. NiterideGuitarist

Jun 4, 2016
    Rochester, NY

18. NiterideGuitarist

Jun 4, 2016
    Rochester, NY
    I’m a reverb guy no doubt. Generally looking for that sweet spot. The reverb on my YCV20WR & 40 both work, but I also bought a Strymon Reverb pedal. I guess it all depends on the sound you are hunting for. Rarely use the Strymon ( but I do like it for Chris Stapleton’s version of that oldie “Tennessee Whiskey”.

19. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I actually ave vintage shoes. I've a pair of Florsheim Beatle boots from 1967 that you can still read the F logo on the heel. I tend to wear shoes until they disintegrate (never ever buy Timberlands---they don't last). I used to get good boots and shoes resoled when they needed it. Nothing's made that well anymore. If I'm not in work boots, I'm in boat shoes/moccasins. In the winter, it's mukluks for snow and warmth.

I wish I still had my Studebaker Lark or Hawk. I'd be happy with my '75 VW Rabbit as well.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    Duo Slinger, lathoto and Bertotti like this.
  20. juks

juks Electromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    I'm a big Vox fan. I have two AC50s and AC125. But these would need to be refurbished if I wanted to use them. My operational amps are AC15, the MV50 mini amp and few Vox practise amps. The only non-Vox is a cheapo Fender bass combo Rumble 25. As my AC50s can't be used. And they are too loud anyway.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.