Callaham upgraded string shaft for Lefty Bigsby

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by MKornev, Jul 27, 2020.

1. MKornev

MKornev Electromatic

Jul 27, 2020
    New Jersey
    I was interested in getting this piece but according to Callaham direct, its not compatible with a lefty B3. Has anyone in the southpaw tribe just tried installing it in reverse?

ishtar and MotorCentaur like this.
  2. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Gretschie

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    The strings will end up coming out at an odd and likely unusable angle.

Here’s one in upside down and then right side up, both with the Bigsby arm mounting hole at the same position as it is when under string tension. Notice how in the lefty setup the strings wouldn’t wrap around the bar properly.

image.jpg
    image.jpg

3. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Gretschie

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    To follow up a bit, it's really a matter of the where the arm mounting hole is drilled. In theory if you drilled a new one at the correct angle that was the correct size with the correct threading, you could make this work. Or mess it up and be out the cost of the parts ($45 I think?). Personally, I'd probably screw it up, but maybe you have all the right tools for the job.

4. MKornev

MKornev Electromatic

Jul 27, 2020
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the info and the accompanying pics! I think im gonna have to find another route then.

ishtar likes this.
  5. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, MKornev !
    welcome mat 101.jpg

ishtar likes this.
  6. MKornev

MKornev Electromatic

Jul 27, 2020
    New Jersey
  7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Are you interested in the wider string spread too or just the string-thru ability?

It's not that hard to drill out a bar if you have a drill press. I'm open to doing that for you if you'd like. PM me if so.

hcsterg likes this.
  8. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Welcome aboard.

I'm a Callaham string through fan, but sorry to hear that a lefty version isn't available.

@BorderRadio. That's a very nice offer. A drill press is needed to do this correctly and end up looking good too.

9. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Welcome @MKornev Lefty Mate ! ;)

No, I stay with the standard Bigbsy shaft and pins, and use this little accessory : the StringRay tool.

http://stringraytool.com/

upload_2020-7-28_15-12-7.jpeg

[​IMG]

A+!

dougmon and BorderRadio like this.
  10. MKornev

MKornev Electromatic

Jul 27, 2020
    New Jersey
    Interesting. Does this operate similarly to the vibramate string spoiler?

hcsterg likes this.
  11. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Not at all : it's an handy accessory that you use solely when you install strings on your classic Bigsby shaft.
    It only maintain the string in place once bent and engaged on the pin. I use it for years ! ;)

A+!

12. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I never felt the need for a hole-through Bigsby shaft but I'm starting to get real interested. Callaham makes great stuff and there is no question it would make string changes easier.

G5422T likes this.
  13. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    I've modded all my bigsbys to string thru with a drill press. I actually ordered some official replacement parts via Fender to do this to and offer them here on Gretsch Talk. Just a couple to try it out. Also, make them cleaner. Removing the bar from a current bigsby scratches it up a bit.

14. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    My three Prolines have the Callaham string through bars. No issues, never broke a string, and totally happy with them.

I know, we all like pics.

20200313_124057.jpg 20191119_121936.jpg 20190215_124842.jpg 20190927_143257.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.