California Tweed

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Waxhead, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Black Shadow C90 in a Mark V is glorious - the perfect speaker for it imo.

Have you considered a used Mark V.
    There's a few around in Aust on Gumtree and Ebay.

I'm currently looking for a used TA-15 - hoping to get one for A$1000 :D

Rmccamey likes this.
  2. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I wouldn't pay any attention to youtube demos Crooner.
    Go test one out and decide for yourself.

I did and found nothing tubby about em.
    Of course if you try to dial em in like a Fender or Marshall you'll find woofy tubbiness because the EQs on Mesa amps are so powerful

3. dreamingGretsch

dreamingGretsch Synchromatic

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    thanks so much for this!

i guess, im just used to having companies putting the cheapest speaker or traditionally putting what was put in 50 years ago, in their amps without regard for matching their amps!

glad to know that Mesa isnt doing this, and perfectly matching their amps with their speaker!

4. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    a used Mark V is okay BUT Id prefer getting a new one especially if I can check it out first hand. Also shipping it would be a nightmare for me without the warranty AND insurance from the shop. I think at this price level, I’m okay to wait until i have funds for a new amp.

i was considering getting a handwired 100w Blackface from a builder in the US (LiL Dawg), and Jim is very nice to talk to, but im just wary of the shipping, and all. It would probably be cheaper or maybe priced the same, but The videos on the Mark V really sold me into it!

glad it matches well with the C90!

Waxhead likes this.
  5. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    well if you go used you could maybe find a Melbourne based amp you could pick up yourself.

US amps are no good unless they've got a voltage switcher - very few do.
    I once bought an Egnater Rebel 30 from the US (new for A$700) cos it had a 110v & 240V switcher on back.
    Great amp that cost A$1500 here.

Shipping was fine.
    It arrived from NY in 10 days in perfect condition cos it was packed well.
    I played/gigged with it for 5 years then sold it in Australia for A$800 - that was a bargain here.

I packed it up good and sent it to a guy in Brissy - he reported all good on arrival :D

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  6. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    yessir. Def Melbourne based if I’m going used.

cant go anywhere beyond 5km of where I live at the moment, but it is still a consideration!

and yeah, I told the US builder that we are at 240V here and he’s okay and he’s been doing diff voltages as he gets orders from diff countries anyway.

i also thought about getting the lower wattages, especially the 35w because of the Cabclone DI and headphone out for late nights without speaker and recording to my interface. Im seriously considering it because of that but my current amp is 25w and I kind of want to have something more powerful than 20-50w as my main amp. The Valvetone will serve as a back up

Waxhead likes this.
  7. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    here's an over priced used Mark v 35 combo in Canberra.
    Bargain down $500 and it's an ok deal :)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mesa-Bo...886786?hash=item41c4846b42:g:EcEAAOSwX61ZEn51

8. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Waxhead likes this.
  9. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.