California Tweed

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Waxhead, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yes we all know I'm a Mesa Boogie and tube amp fanboy but really....... I do have reasons for it :rolleyes:

Found this excellent video of the newish California Tweed using a variety of guitars (including Gretsch),
    It does a comparison against the Lonestar Special also.

If I was looking for an amp that excelled in vintage clean, reverb, edge of breakup and light overdrive tones I don't think you can find better. Either Cali Tweed or Lonestar Special would be my choices.

I tested the Cali Tweed in a local store a few months ago and was very impressed but it really shines in this video. I've played/gigged Lonestars and always loved them :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    Bertotti, michelb, bobk and 4 others like this.
  2. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Your fanboy ways are justified IMO. Mesa makes good stuff.

Bertotti and Waxhead like this.
  3. RG7X

RG7X Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Very cool. I own a LSS and it's hands down my favorite amp I've ever played. I've even considered buying another one! I've been curious on the Ca Tweed for awhile but haven't tried one out yet. I owned a Fillmore 25 (6v6) for a few months but just couldn't bond with it. The larger cab on the Tweed and drive sounds very promising. The LSS can be sweet and deliver some beautiful singing drive. Brings out a bold, punchy, percussive attack and twang on my Hot Rods. Really good vid. Thanks for sharing.

Waxhead likes this.
  4. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    I think the Tweed looks and sounds terrific. I tried one in store. Can any amp techs out there comment on quality, and ability to service?

5. mrcoffee23

mrcoffee23 Gretschie

Sep 23, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    Very nice. I like everything but the 50lbs of weight.

Rmccamey likes this.
  6. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah at 49 lbs for the combo it's not one of Mesa's usual lightweights.
    The head at 30 lbs would be my choice.

With x5 more features it's still lighter than same watt Fender, Marshall, Vox amps:D

pmac11 likes this.
  7. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Very nice sounding amp. Sounds very versatile. Good studio amp.
    I wish they were around years ago.

Waxhead likes this.
  8. Factotum

Factotum Gretschie

May 7, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    Nice video. Out of curiosity, how do you feel about the Lone Star Classic? Specifically the 10/50/100 watt version.

Some days I love mine and some days are more of a struggle trying to dial it in. Wondering what someone with experience with Mesa Boogie thinks.

9. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    LS Classic is a fabulous amp imo and I do prefer its 6L6 tone to the EL84 Special.
    I almost bought a LSC 12 yrs ago.
    Just a bit heavy for me is all.

I bought the Express 5:50 instead which has almost the same cleans/reverb, is more versatile and lighter.
    Then I bought Mark V 25 which again has the Lonestar cleans/reverb :D

Dialing in LSC was never a problem for me once I read the manual twice.
    But the Express and Mark V amps are simpler/easier to dial in than Lonestars

Factotum likes this.
  10. Factotum

Factotum Gretschie

May 7, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    Gotcha. Thanks! Yeah, the manual...I've just about worn mine out with all the quick referencing I find myself doing. I think it's worth it overall, though. The amp has some really amazing sounds if you're willing to find them.

Waxhead likes this.
  11. Rmccamey

Rmccamey Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Texas
    Love the Mesa's I've played and I know they have multiple power ranges, just wish they made a comparable, single channel 10-15W head version.

Waxhead likes this.
  12. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I don't think Mesa have ever made anything under 25w max but like many of their features you don't have to use everything they offer. I never use the Extreme channel on my Mark V for example. Some people also never use the effects loops or the cab clones.

Many people use the 5 or 10w settings exclusively on many of their amps. The higher watt settings are there for gig situations :D

Rmccamey likes this.
  13. AlexO

AlexO Electromatic

Jul 25, 2017
    Manchester
    I tried one in Lark Guitars when I was trying a Custom Shop Penguin. The lovely chap in the shop recommend it when I said I use Fender amps. Never played a Mesa prior but what a sound!
    Was a stunning combination been gassing for one ever since.

Waxhead likes this.
  14. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yep, I use the 5w on the express +, dirty and clean. With a full band, I usually up the wattage but it often isn't really necessary.

I still think the Rectoverb 25 is one of the best tube amps out there, at any price, and is a better fit for those who don't want one of the more complicated Boogies.

Waxhead likes this.
  15. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    The Transatlantic head looks pretty hip. 15watts iirc.

Rmccamey likes this.
  16. dreamingGretsch

dreamingGretsch Synchromatic

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    very timely! I was trying to learn more of this amp!! This might be my ticket into the Mesa world!!

@Waxhead may I ask whats your opinion on Black Shadow Speakers? specifically the MC90 and the EV ones? I figured you also love these that comes stock with Mesa's or do you change them too?

Waxhead likes this.
  17. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Black Shadow C90 is one of my fav all time speakers.
    They are English made by Celestion for Mesa Boogie to specifically suit their amps.
    I have not tried them with other amps made by different makers but think they would be great with most amps.

I have not tried the EV speakers (not that I know of anyway).
    I would initially go with whatever Mesa install in their amps stock as they give huge consideration to it and always get it right imo. Then you can change speakers later if you want :)

I've played various Mesa amps thru many different speaker types and configurations. But they've all been different types of Celestions in 1x10, 1x12, 2x12 or 4x12. All were great - just different flavours of great is all :D

18. dreamingGretsch

dreamingGretsch Synchromatic

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks for this!

Ive been really heavily considering getting the Mark V. and I want the head and cab config rather than combo.. so thats why I asked if you like the Black Shadow speakers..

I got half of the new price already, still a long way to go, but Im aiming to get it by first half next year.. I really want the 90w to give me a bit more power than I need for those LOUD Cleans.. but this california tweed is making me think twice, and is cheaper by almost 1k AUD, but then again, I already have a Valvetone Juno 25, which is a 59' Bassman themed head with 6L6GC rather than 6v6's and I'm afraid I might double up with the tones if I get the Cali Tweed..

[​IMG]

Waxhead and audept like this.
  19. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    I, too, have become a huge Mesa fan as well. My LoneStar Special is one of the finest amps I’[ve ever played through. It’s responsiveness, feel and tone are perfect for every style I play and it’s a fantastic pedal platform amp. It’s my hope to pair it with a Victory V140 Super Duchess in a wet/dry rig.

I think the Cali Tweed sounds great but in some demos I’ve heard the low end can get a tad tubby and prefer the tighter lows of the LoneStar family.

20. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    I have the Express 5:25 + which comes fitted with a V30 in the combo format. I felt I wanted a rounder sound and one which moved a bit more air and perhaps a tad more bass.
    I considered the MC90 but the Mesa Cabs are ridiculously priced IMO.

I settled for a locally sourced open backed cab with a Celestion CL 80. It is supposedly the Celestion the MC90 is based on and I must say it works really well either as a stand alone
    1 X 12 or as an extension speaker in parallel with the V30. It may suit your purpose and is way cheaper than the Mesa branded Celestion.

Love your ES330 by the way. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.