Bzzzz

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by jneau, Jun 19, 2014.

1. jneau

jneau Synchromatic

Sep 18, 2012
    Minnesota
    Setting up at a bar today. TERRIBLE hum coming from my amp, even with humbuckers. Even worse with single coil. Even direct to amp is bad.

I have zero issues at home, so what is the best guess as to what the issue might be?

Tomorrow I'm going to make sure everything else is off and make sure it's not that I'm too close to powered speakers or something...

Suggestions?

2. drzombi

drzombi Gretschie

Jan 12, 2013
    Eugene
    Bad power in the club, probably grounding issues. Flourescent lighting can wreak havoc with rigs as well.

3. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    Flourescent lights and beer signs and old wiring

4. NeilSt

NeilSt Country Gent

Oct 26, 2010
    Lynnwood, WA
    Yep. What they said. We have many tapes recorded in the bar we played at back in the mid-eighties -- nothing but buzz between songs. At the other bar where we played...nothing.

5. dilver

dilver Country Gent

Feb 16, 2009
    NJ
    All it takes is a few lights to be on a dimmer.

6. calvin lee

calvin lee Country Gent

Jan 5, 2011
    new york
    the more fluorescent beer signs in a bar, the worse the hum is going to be. but some bars also just have crappy grounding issues.

7. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    It'll be the flux capacitor. That, or you've got left handed electricity!

8. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    this is when a Hum-X by ebtech is a great friend!

9. Bleakstreak

Bleakstreak Gretschie

Jun 13, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I get crystal clear Korean news casts on all my amps at home.

10. jneau

jneau Synchromatic

Sep 18, 2012
    Minnesota
    TV, which one of their products would you recommend here? I assume you're talking about the one that handles balanced cables, right? (Or are you talking about the electrical plug thingy?)

11. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    This one I guess:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyYb266R2-M"]Review of EBTech Hum X[/ame]

12. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Just as a safety precaution 'back in the day' lots of bars had grounding problems, so I would habitually touch one of the tuners to the microphone to look for spark.

Some of the old amps had like a + and - switch for ground, sometimes that would help with the hum.

13. Sonny Strimple

Sonny Strimple Country Gent

May 8, 2011
    Western Maryland
    Buy a couple of auto batteries. Hook them in parallel and use an inverter. Plug your amp in and no noise! You could experiment first to see how long you would have adequate power. Might be worth a try. Would have to make a Cart/rig of some sort to cart them around though.

Sonny

14. Sonny Strimple

Sonny Strimple Country Gent

May 8, 2011
    Western Maryland
    If you had a vehicle outside you could have your spare inverter system in there and run an extension chord into the amp. Use it only when necessary if your in a place with noisy circuits. Just a thought!

Sonny

15. TAHall

TAHall Gretschie

Feb 27, 2014
    Murrieta, CA
    +1 on bad grounding. Anecdotal story here: Was jamming in my buddy's garage. My PA was plugged into one circuit, and my amp into another. The circuit the PA was on had NO ground. I should have noticed the nasty hum. So when I would step up to the mic while playing, I would close the circuit on the PA with an arc from my lips to the mic. Believe me that will wake you the frick up. The circuit went from my palm on the bridge, through my body, out from my lips to the mic. I knew my signing was horrible, but did not expect the universe to tell me to shut up in such a dramatic way!

16. jneau

jneau Synchromatic

Sep 18, 2012
    Minnesota
    Back home now. Doing a little reading, it sounds like I was experiencing "60 cycle hum" because the intensity varied with the direction I was facing.

I ruled out that it was any of our equipment: Started the day yesterday with all the equipment off except my amp. Still heard the bzzzz. So it must have been something in the bar. We were on the 2nd floor right above the main bar. Neon bar lights right below me?

17. LATS

LATS Country Gent

Jan 3, 2010
    Kanata, Ontario
    Always check the outlets with one of these before plugging in!

[​IMG]

18. Crunch01

Crunch01 Former Member

Feb 11, 2014
    So-Cal
  19. jneau

jneau Synchromatic

Sep 18, 2012
    Minnesota
    Had everything running through Monster Pro 800's.

20. drrohle

drrohle Synchromatic

Jan 3, 2014
    Hays, KS
    One other thing to think of...
    I live within 2 blocks of a high powered over the air TV station. I can get a 30 cycle buzz in just about every piece of audio equipment in the house depending on which way I turn it. They all pick up the 30 cycle sync pulses off of the tv station transmitter.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.