buzzes / vibrations on 1965 Tennessean

SledDawg

Electromatic
Jun 5, 2008
New Jersey
I'm having a problem with this guitar. It has these intermittent acoustic vibrations / buzzes when I play certain notes on certain strings. They don't seem to be translating to the pickups, as I don't hear any "extra" sounds when it's plugged in. But it's sure annoying.
I have tightened down every screw on the pickup rings, pickguard, tuners and knobs, and every nut on the switches and jack. I've "reset" the strings on the Bigsby. No joy. It sounds like some plastic is vibrating.
I have not removed the pickups to check inside. Could it be wiring vibrating on the body inside? Something else?
It's hard to check as, of course, I'm holding the guitar and playing it when I hear this - if I could step away maybe I could tell where on the body it's coming from. I guess I need a "helper"...
Any help appreciated.

mrfixitmi

Country Gent
Mar 20, 2010
Michigan
I'm having a problem with this guitar. It has these intermittent acoustic vibrations / buzzes when I play certain notes on certain strings. They don't seem to be translating to the pickups, as I don't hear any "extra" sounds when it's plugged in. But it's sure annoying.
I have tightened down every screw on the pickup rings, pickguard, tuners and knobs, and every nut on the switches and jack. I've "reset" the strings on the Bigsby. No joy. It sounds like some plastic is vibrating.
I have not removed the pickups to check inside. Could it be wiring vibrating on the body inside? Something else?
It's hard to check as, of course, I'm holding the guitar and playing it when I hear this - if I could step away maybe I could tell where on the body it's coming from. I guess I need a "helper"...
Any help appreciated.
I understand the frustration, you are correct, sometimes it is valuable to obtain a helping hand, even if they are not a musician or a technician. If you could have someone strum the guitar while probing with a stethoscope, it can help isolate the problem. Strumming the guitar, then having to move a stethoscope can be futile.

If you do not have a stethoscope, it may be helpful to buy one, even a low cost one from a tool store is very helpful. Having a helper is valuable because sometimes the issue rears its ugly head only during a short time of the sustain, if it is at the initial phase, it is difficult to find it.

What makes this so difficult it that instruments are designed to carry sound, the actual location of the source is easy to hide.

To your point it may be a wire vibrating on the inside of the guitar, that is initiating the offensive noise.
With a helper, you could see if it gets better or worse with the guitar face down, neck up or neck down, in your lap with playing position, or with the strings facing you.

Good luck my friend, these can take a lot of patience to solve, but can provide a feeling of accomplishment when you find the issue.

Shadowy_Man

Synchromatic
May 18, 2020
Chicago
I found that if my pickguard is on TOO tight it will make unwanted vibrations/buzzing. Loosening the main screw that connects it to the top of the body a half turn fixed my problem.

nielDa

Electromatic
Mar 3, 2022
New York
I’m guessing it’s an internal wire or component as you said - but in addition to the above comments, have you ruled out the headstock (tuners or truss rod cover)?

Solid Sender

Electromatic
May 26, 2022
Colorado
My '64 6120 just started "distorting" when playing double stops acoustically. There doesn't seem to be any extra, unwanted tones while plugged in, but wanking around unplugged on the sofa or wherever is when it's noticeable.
I'm thinking it might be the bridge, not sure. I plan on poking around later today to find the culprit.

Mojoman

Electromatic
Jan 14, 2019
Gardena, ca.
Could even be a couple frets buzzing. Acoustic its heard more than electric, but it is another thing to check. As you say its as you play it makes noise. I had to lightly file a couple frets on a harmony hollowbody when i bought it, and no more buzz. Good luck- you will find it.

Beatlebacker

Electromatic
Jun 23, 2022
Texas
I have the same type of buzzing on my 65 Tenny as well. It’s only noticeable playing it acoustically. I switched from round .10s to .flat 11s and that helped a little.

Latest posts