Building a Country Gent, Gents

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by guitarmaker, Jul 23, 2010.

1. guitarmaker

guitarmaker Synchromatic

Mar 1, 2010
    Oley, PA
    As a follow up to my "what should I build next" thread, I decided to start on this. Some of you may remember that I asked the GT club what my next build should be and I gave a few of my ideas. The majority of answers was that it should be a double cut, 17", thinline, gent styled guitar in a natural maple finish with gold hardware. Well, I've been slowly gathering hardware and planning and plotting and away we go!

I finished up the body mold this week and started bending veneer for one side. Just like the '59 tribute, it is 3-ply veneer. I made the body mold out of only 2 pieces of plywood because the guitar will have a thin body.[​IMG][/IMG]

The top and back are my last set of 60's brooklyn plates. I traced the body shape onto them and I'll cut them out shortly.[​IMG][/IMG]

I got a nice big chunk of flamed maple that I will probably make the neck out of. It will have a two way adjustable truss rod and a pinstripe up the center. I believe that I'm going to use my headstock design and logo on this one.[​IMG][/IMG]

And for now, last but not least, The compton 'tone chambered' brass bridge. Don't worry Wayne, I won't show the bottom yet!

I'm also using a modified pair of ceramic filtertrons. They were chrome and both of them had the ears, however, I decided to order a new set of gold covers and trim the ears off of the bridge P.U. so that it would sit up inside the deeper cover. I may change the polepiece screws to modern gold ones, but I kinda like the old chrome, round head screws against the gold. What do you guys think?[​IMG][/IMG]

beatle geo likes this.
  2. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Great,i love these threads!:)

3. JBennett

JBennett Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Wow, even that body mold is a beautiful thing. Looking forward to watching this come together. So, what color will it be? Transparent Sonic Blue?

4. workknot

workknot Country Gent

Feb 15, 2009
    Brainerd, Minnesota
    I am hoping the color will be just the natural wood tones to show the real beauty of the wood grain. If this one goes up for sale, I would be very interested if it were to have a natural finish. :D :D
    Pop's

5. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    I think the gold and chrome combo always looks nice.

6. guitarmaker

guitarmaker Synchromatic

Mar 1, 2010
    Oley, PA
    Thanks guys! It will be natural. Just a shiny clear coat.

7. Sarah93003

Sarah93003 Friend of Fred

Very cool! I hope we get to watch this one step by step!

8. Michiel

Michiel Friend of Fred

Jul 29, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Ha! He's at it again. Sweet! :D
    I love this thread already.

I'm really curious how this one turns out.
    A blonde CG is going to be something really special.

Gretsch did a limited run of blonde 12-string Gents some years ago.
    A couple months ago there was one on... I think on craig's?.
    If it had been a 6-string I'd have gone for it!

Attached Files:

9. S Macp

S Macp Country Gent

Sep 6, 2009
    Glasgow, UK
    Woohoo! I love these threads too, and am looking forward to this one. FWIW, I think the chrome on gold will look great against the natural wood.

10. Duo Gent

Duo Gent Gretschie

Jan 27, 2010
    Louisiana
    I'm salivating already!

11. rockabilly-rebel

rockabilly-rebel Country Gent

Jul 21, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    Lovin it GM - I also like the gold and chrome

12. MattP

MattP Newbie

Jul 23, 2010
    Boston
    I've always wanted to build a gent to my own specs, but I don't have the skill set quite yet (or maybe ever). I look forward to seeing the finished product.

13. guitarmaker

guitarmaker Synchromatic

Mar 1, 2010
    Oley, PA
    Thanks everybody. I really like the chrome screws with the gold covers. It sort of reminds me of an old hot-rodded Oldsmobile J2 engine.(I don't know why!) I wasn't sure what everyone else would think about the look. I'm really excited to build this one. I think it will be a really sweet guitar when it's done.
    Right now I'm planning on 6120 styled open f-holes. What do you guys think? Also a v-cut bigsby B6, a Country Classic wiring harness (with the cut-off switch), a zero fret and maybe Imperial tuners.
    I'm also considering Black binding for the outer edge. I think it would give it a unique look and great contrast. Any thoughts?

14. Wow! Kinda partial to that guitar, myself.

From the look of your jig, the neck will join the body at the...what is it, the 14th fret?...like the original -62's (most others, including my Club, for that matter) as opposed to the 18th (?) fret like the 6122-II's?

Really looking forward to this one, too. Installing mutes? My '05 is a great re-issue, but without the mutes. They're reinstalling them as of late. I've thought about buying a system and installing them. Not for use, but accuracy of the model.

I don't particularly care for the chrome pole piece screws, but that's obviously personal.

I know a lot of folks turn their nose up at simulated f-holes, but GreTsch did that for a reason. For me, the first time I saw a hollow/semi-hollow with real f-holes, I couldn't figure it out. Although not quite 5 at the time, I remember watching the Beatles first performance on Ed Sullivan. This 6122-62 has been my favorite looking guitar ever since, and is what I thought a guitar was supposed to be for a long time.

Black binding...would be different. Maybe print off that natural 12 string above and color the w/b/w (which looks pretty cool to me) in and see.

15. And I agree, I'd stay with the mud switch

16. workknot

workknot Country Gent

Feb 15, 2009
    Brainerd, Minnesota
    Just my personal preference here. I like a tone knob vs the mud switch. Also like the pickups wired so as the volumes work independantly from one another. The chrome screws look cool with the gold covers. I think black binding would set it off nicely. Dafreeze had a good idea with photo shopping the black on there to see how it would contrast.
    Pop's

17. Duo Gent

Duo Gent Gretschie

Jan 27, 2010
    Louisiana
  18. guitarmaker

guitarmaker Synchromatic

Mar 1, 2010
    Oley, PA
    Yes, the body mold will allow for a 14th fret neck joint, however I was considering trimming the body down on this one to allow for a higher fret neck joint. I figured it might help as far as playability. Thoughts? Suggestions?

I don't plan on doing mutes or the big ugly hole in the back. I feel that It can be muted with your palm if need be. It's cool gretsch hardware, but not my cup of tea. That's part of my reasoning for open f-holes, so the guitar can "breath". Plus, I like the look a little better. My introduction to gretsch was Brian Setzer, so I still have this image of a little guy with a huge guitar and huge f-holes.

The idea for the black binding came from some jazz archtops that I've seen over the years. One that I saw recently at the philly guitar show reinforced for me how good it looked, But yes, I will do some "sketches" first just to make sure.

I've been falling in love with the mud switch lately. I certainly could put a tone pot in it but to me they seem a little too Gibson-like. I recently got a great deal on a country classic wiring harness. It has the pu switch, the tone switch and a cut off switch as well as a master volume pot and 2 independent pu volumes. I'd like to use it but if the consensus is a resounding "NO!", I could probably be persuaded otherwise.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input.

19. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    LOL. I wouldn't go as far to say gibson like, seeing as how its a common part of most guitar's circuits. I personally like the knob, it has everything the switch has, and everything in between. . . think if your volume was on a switch.

20. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I'm not a fan of Black binding, how about plastic tortoise shell ?

If ya go with large F holes it will look more like a Viking than a Gent,just a thought.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice