buddy holly movie instrument screw ups

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by rosemary, Sep 20, 2010.

1. rosemary

rosemary Synchromatic

Oct 12, 2008
    pasadena
    ok so i was watching tv the other day and happened apon the movie "the buddy holly story" i was so excited because i never even knew that there was a movie about Mr. Holly. it starred Gary Bussey (i.e b4 the psychosis he seems to be in nowdays) and was, overall, a pretty decent rock n roll movie except for some gross oversights on the part of the prop manager. for one buddy holly is seen playing a white tele with a rosewood fretboard... now unless im mistaken the rosewood fretboard teles are a sixities thing right??? again, i could be wrong perhaps he ordered a custom model tele... which leads me to my next concern. wasn't he a strat man???? isn't he one of the most iconic strat figures in fender history??? i did however notice during a good portion of scenes that he did play the iconic sunburst strat... yet again there were some concerns because the strat also had a rosewood fretboard....huh???? and then just when i thought it couldnt get any worse out comes "eddie cochran" clutcing a duo jet.. well this simply drove me over the edge as it offended my gretsch-ness lol.

perhaps i have far too much time on my hands but i've noticed this in a good amount of movies. seems like NON-Players who dont know any better decide to toss anything with pickups and six strings in the hands of actors..well i think any job worth doing is worth doing well. what about you fellow gretsch folks? have you noticed any of the same??

2. Doc Helliday

Doc Helliday Gretschie

Dec 21, 2009
    LA
    oh yeah, everyone bags on it for that reason, but I like the movie, its entertaining. They didn't have google images back then so they could get away with it. The average person isn't going say "Hey Cochran is playing a Duo Jet!" the average person isn't even going to know who Cochran is. Just gotta be happy they got the brands right lol

3. mark t

mark t Gretschie

Mar 31, 2010
    Ontario. Canada
    I liked the movie and thought that Busey's performance in it was great, but yeah, it does take a pretty serious slagging in the real world. But as was pointed out, you didn't have the internet back then and it was a pretty "Hollywood" production, which largely means that people don't give a damn about little nuances like that.

But hey, you know what? Nobody goofs on "The Girl Can't Help it", and Chuck Berry plays a Roundup in that one. :)

4. built4speed

built4speed Synchromatic

Mar 9, 2010
    Canada
    I think it was actually a roundup that Eddie plays in the movie. Still, right color, wrong guitar. Watch the amps too. Looks like brownface/blackface deluxe reverbs, also past Buddy's time. It really was made for entertainment only, but most music biopics get us guitar nerds worked up by being inaccurate with their musical props.

Not too bad a movie, but not very accurate, even story wise.

5. No-name

No-name Synchromatic

Jun 30, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Fender introduced the rosewood fretboard in 1959. Buddy Holly died in early February of that year. not much of an overlap.

6. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Synchromatic

Jan 27, 2010
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Hahahha, I noticed this too. The movie was shot in the CBS era of Fender, so "Holly" is playing a lot of large headstock Stratocasters in that movie. It was still a good flick, regardless of the slight mixups.

7. rosemary

rosemary Synchromatic

Oct 12, 2008
    pasadena
    oh i didnt know that. thanks for the info

8. rosemary

rosemary Synchromatic

Oct 12, 2008
    pasadena
    i totally understand the general consensus about it being about entertainment. i was entertained myself, i thought it was a great movie:) but i just think that hollywood producers/ prop managers dont realize that a good percentage of the ppl who might pay to see a movie like this are music enthusiasts or musicians themselves... if the goal is realism then i think all bases should be covered. it's like doing a Marilyn Monroe bio-pic and making her a redhead...

9. Stingker

Stingker Country Gent

Aug 31, 2010
    California
    The Real Buddy Holly Story

Yes, I think it's unfortunate that Hollyweird doesn't bother to portray Reality even in their 'docudramas.'

Most of it is skewed bogusness. Generally, I think the mainstream is a collective coping-strategy. There are two 'realities.' -- 1: the Love Reality (JC, the other punks, most great literature, etc.), where ingenuous honesty is encouraged and heals, and 2: The Abuse Reality (the mainstream), where mandatory discretion and cordiality obscure past traumas, alienation from self / ideals, and consequent, current, conformist increasing culpability.

If you haven't seen it yet (and even if you have!), check out Paul McCartney's excellent: 'The Real Buddy Holly Story.'

10. JBennett

JBennett Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    That all depends on the producer, director and props dept.
    Many movie makers break their backs getting every detail right.

Not so with the Buddy Holly story.

11. mark t

mark t Gretschie

Mar 31, 2010
    Ontario. Canada
    I believe that Elvis miniseries that aired recently is one such production where they nitpicked everything down to amp knobs.

12. samdevos

samdevos Gretschie

Jun 26, 2009
    belgium
    i love that movie , the covers are very well done ! one of my favorite music / doc movies

13. Funky54

Funky54 Gretschie

Aug 12, 2010
    Florida
    The one that kills me is Eddie and The Cruisers. I know its all fiction, and the music is great. I've played both Dark Side and Tender Years in bands..but its supposed to be 63' look at the gear. They did awesome with some of it and then all of a sudden theirs stuff that doesn't fit. Eddie II is worse, and not a good movie, but if the recordings are supposed to be 63 why does it sound like duran duran or something from American Idol. Where they get the synth and phasers in 63??

Anyways the rock movies can be fun.

14. FrankieSixxxgun

Jan 27, 2010
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Hey, 300 was an accurate depiction of the Greek/Persian war, right?

15. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    I was telling one of the older members on here about how entertaining the under 35 folks were. From my experience with your generation the term "sub-pension of disbelief " a required way of life, not just the way to watch a movie. I noticed the in correct "props"
    but I was grateful they made the movie. Enjoy the music, ignore the wrong notes!

16. Funky54

Funky54 Gretschie

Aug 12, 2010
    Florida
    Don't be ridiculous.. stick to the documentaries like Avatar.

17. BBQ Boogie

BBQ Boogie Gretschie

Feb 16, 2010
    New York City
    Rosemary,

Here in NYC we have the Broadway show (from Chicago) "The Million Dollar Quartet". I haven't seen it yet, but I "friended" them on MySpace. Well, I'm looking at the show photos and they have Carl Perkins playing a red Gibson 355!!! I wrote to them repeatedly and begged them to replace it with the gold top LP w/ P90s and trap tailpiece. Darned if they didn't take my advice and made the changes!! They also had the wrong period hardware for the drum kit (which I also pointed out), but I don't think they've done anything about it yet.

Yep, I'm surprised when "period" shows with a really big budget get things like that wrong.

18. FrankieSixxxgun

Jan 27, 2010
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I played my White Falcon and a Plexi stack in the movie I was in. We were supposed to be down and out gypsys in a dive bar on the outskirts of town, but nobody seemed to care.

19. rosemary

rosemary Synchromatic

Oct 12, 2008
    pasadena
    its really cool that they listened to your advice. otherwise they might have some ocd supernerd like me knocking down their door.. lol

20. rosemary

rosemary Synchromatic

Oct 12, 2008
    pasadena
    :) i do love a smart ass..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.