Bucket List NGD!

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Highroller, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Very nice! My first was also a SG knock off , form a Montgomery ward surplus store, so it had issues on top of it being a cheap knock off. Still have it.

Highroller likes this.
  2. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    You're from Virginia, you might remember NOVA based Veneman's Music. They were THE local chain before GC and Mars Music came along and ran 'em out of business.

"Bradley" was their house brand. I think it cost something like $89, which was a lot more money in 1972 than it is today, but still a fraction of what something good cost. And yeah, beat to hell now, but I still have it.

Old pic, from the day I brought it home:

Bradley SG 02.jpg

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    new6659 likes this.
  3. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Synchromatic

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    I've always wanted an SG as well... For some reason, I've always liked that model far more than the Les Paul....so many of my favorite guitarists were known for playsing SG's.....That's a sharp looking one....you're gonna love it, especially after waiting so long!

Highroller likes this.
  4. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Just got my SG 61 Standard back in December. I love it! So easy to play - neck is really fast. I love the sound of those 61 pickups - warm, sweet and when played through an amp in overdrive I hear early Alice Cooper, AC/DC, Sabbath, Santana, Badfinger, Mid era Beatles and more...:).
    I've been playing it constantly since early December. The only negative thing I can say about the guitar is it has a bit of neck dive.
    Makes me wonder why it's taken me so long to buy one.
    Enjoy your new SG - classic guitar with lots of tones on board.

Highroller likes this.
  5. Looks a lot better than mine did new. If you used the tremolo on mine, it snapped strings. Every time. Sadly I’m not from Virginia. A bit more north.

Highroller likes this.
  6. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Interesting. Albert Veneman was a Dutch archtop builder(Amka) in the ‘50s. His son moved to the States and started a family music business. Pretty sure they had their own brand of guitars(ever seen any Kapas around?) Must be one and the same.

Highroller likes this.
  7. DangerousD

DangerousD Electromatic

Oct 15, 2020
    Colorado
    That's a beauty. Bought my 61RI as a present to me for my 61st Bday. My favorite ax by far.

Highroller likes this.
  8. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Yeah, it's the same family. IIRC, Albert's son Koob started the Kapa line of electrics, his son Ted ran the stores and catalog business. After they shut down Kapa, Bradley became their low cost import line and were (for a while at least) produced in Japan on the same production line as Ibanez, whose product line in those days also consisted mostly of Fender and Gibson knockoffs.

Ricochet likes this.
  9. Wavey

Wavey Gretschie

Dec 31, 2016
    NorCal
    I had this near mint '73 SG with plush lined OHSC, harmonica bridge, all mahogany body with cherry finish, ebony fingerboard, small block inlays (including 1st fret) and a Bigsby tailpiece, all original all stock. I bought it "used" in the early 90s, but it was hardly used at all. This was a super light weight, beautiful and nice playing guitar. I took it out of the case once a year (or every other year) to play it for a day or two, and then put it back into the case until the next year (or two). In other words it had very little play time on it from new (1973) until last year (2020) when I sold it. Went to a good home and a player who was looking for a nice example SG.

IMG_2646.JPG

Highroller likes this.
  10. Zeek

Zeek Country Gent

May 29, 2016
    Illinois USA
    Very nice, Congrads

Highroller likes this.
  11. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Synchromatic

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    congrats..my mains.. 4 SG's.jpg

thunder58, Highroller and new6659 like this.
  12. Gold Penguin

Gold Penguin Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Long Island, New York
    Great guitar! Use it in the best of health!

Highroller likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.