BT-2S pickups

fanco84

Electromatic
Jan 23, 2022
Kansas
Question about the BT-2S. On my G2420 Streamliner and even on my G2655T Streamliner, the pickups are very much all or nothing on the volume. Can this be remedied by raising the pickups? I guess I can try it myself, but I'm curious if this is a normal thing with these pickups or if I just happened to get two sets that don't have great volume roll off.

tmcq65

Gretschie
Nov 10, 2021
Eastern Tennessee
What exactly do you mean by "all or nothing"? I found my 2420 to be lacking a bit with regard to the quality of the pots, capacitors, and wiring - but I am delighted with the pickups. I rewired with good CTS 500K pots, a new orange-drop capacitor, and a treble bleed for the master volume (all from TV Jones) and it sounds awesome.

fanco84

Electromatic
Jan 23, 2022
Kansas
What exactly do you mean by "all or nothing"? I found my 2420 to be lacking a bit with regard to the quality of the pots, capacitors, and wiring - but I am delighted with the pickups. I rewired with good CTS 500K pots, a new orange-drop capacitor, and a treble bleed for the master volume (all from TV Jones) and it sounds awesome.
Just I have to have the volume at 10 or I can't hear them. I raised them and it's better now so I think it's good. Just don't like having to keep my volume at 10 to hear anything. And yeah it could be the pots or something else, that's why I was asking

DougWheeler74

Synchromatic
Jul 10, 2019
NE Wisconsin, US
It's not the BT-2S pickups as model. I have a 2622 with BT-2S in the bridge position with full control on the volume, I play through a 5F1 champ clone and never run full on with the pickup. Given that it happens on two guitars, I would defiantly check on pickup height as well as pole positions.

On my 2622, the wiring scheme causes one pickup's volume to affect the other. For example, if I am in the 'both' position, turning the bridge pickup down will also cause the overall volume to go down. If I turn one pickup all the way down, I get zero output. It is the way it's wired. Perhaps yours is similar?

tmcq65

Gretschie
Nov 10, 2021
Eastern Tennessee
...On my 2622, the wiring scheme causes one pickup's volume to affect the other. For example, if I am in the 'both' position, turning the bridge pickup down will also cause the overall volume to go down. If I turn one pickup all the way down, I get zero output. It is the way it's wired. Perhaps yours is similar?

My2420T was like that as well. I rewired using the diagram from TV Jones - "Tone Pot Harness" - and added the Treble Bleed to the master volume. It works great. This was a fairly simple operation - only took a couple of hours. I now have complete independent control of each pickup and the roll off for each volume and the tone are all nicely "spaced" across the full range of the pot sweep. It's worth noting that new pots don't quite fit into the holes for the factory pots. I had to drill mine out a hair larger - but even this was super easy. If you use the vinyl tubing method for pulling the pots back through the holes, I would recommend either trying to find something with an ID slightly smaller than 1/4" and stretching it over the pot shafts - or using a dab of hot glue. My 1/4" ID tubing did not hold the shafts of the pots firmly enough.

ALS57

Gretschie
Jun 17, 2019
London
My2420T was like that as well. I rewired using the diagram from TV Jones - "Tone Pot Harness" - and added the Treble Bleed to the master volume. It works great. This was a fairly simple operation - only took a couple of hours. I now have complete independent control of each pickup and the roll off for each volume and the tone are all nicely "spaced" across the full range of the pot sweep. It's worth noting that new pots don't quite fit into the holes for the factory pots. I had to drill mine out a hair larger - but even this was super easy.

Me too, tone pot harness rewire and treble bleed works great

Latest posts