Broad-Trons and OD pedal grief

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by lmolter54, Jan 9, 2022.

1. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    The old tried and true…others come and go, stacked even, but this one always remains on board
    0876143C-7E0E-4BE7-9211-418DC3B67AED.jpeg

2. Waxhead

Waxhead Friend of Fred

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    No not a lawyer - and no Spanish Inquisition either - was just trying to help you and it can't be done unless you give adequate info. Good luck :D

3. CBHScott

CBHScott Electromatic

Feb 13, 2015
    Central OH
    I have had a couple of Streamliners pass through my hands over the last couple of years, and I gotta say that the BT pickups in those may be the weak link. While they are not bad clean, IMO they tend to get muddy as dirt is added in the chain. I couldn’t get a real satisfactory crunch tone out of them. The P90 in the neck of the G2215 I had, however, was a different story.

4. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Synchromatic

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    If you want that Boston sound, find yourself one of those Rockman half-space rack units with the chorus/overdrive.

5. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    True but spendy. What did Tom Schulz do before the Rockman?
    In it’s base form it’s basically a Marshall with plenty of gain, a Chorus and Delay, and sometimes a cocked wah.

6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    With a Bassman you should be able to get a really great overdrive without any pedal. Just turn it up.
    Bassman amps are famous for their grind and fat overdrive.
    If it is too loud you could check out a power attenuator.

Philtertronic likes this.
  7. SAguitar

SAguitar Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2020
    Jack Plate, Oregon
    Obviously, it's the red briefs and the Tube Screamer that are the problem. With that combo, you can only play Christmas songs!
    And don't worry about wise spending on overdrives, it is an addiction with no cure. I probably have 15-20 ODs and rotate them in and out of the batting order at will. But the Blues Driver and OCD are often in play. Oh, and I stack them. My typical floorboard has 4 overdrives and I sometimes use all 4 at simultaneously.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  8. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Gretschie

Sep 11, 2009
    Venice, CA
    Everyone is going to laugh but The Boss Metal Zone will also work for what you're going for. If you are subtle with the adjustments it really delivers a warm and fat overdrive. Yes you can push it into 1980s metal distortion too but there is a lot of room for adjustments on this pedal. I used to use it all of the time when all I had was a Fender Frontman amp. The Boss Metal Zone - "the stone the builders rejected..."

9. lmolter54

lmolter54 Electromatic

Dec 28, 2021
    Tampa, FL
    In a small room, at volume it would give me an ear bleed. I'd need a 2 ohm attenuator -- 4 10's in parallel.

10. lmolter54

lmolter54 Electromatic

Dec 28, 2021
    Tampa, FL
    Yes, I can see the addiction. Eventually I will get something I like. Trick is not not let the wife know I'm spending our retirement savings on OD pedals. She already noticed my minimal board and asked about each one. Well see... Oh, I rotate the briefs color regularly. :rolleyes:

11. lmolter54

lmolter54 Electromatic

Dec 28, 2021
    Tampa, FL
    Not laughing because I don't know enough about this stuff to have an opinion (yet).

12. scrimmer

scrimmer Gretschie

Apr 6, 2019
    North Carolina
    I have pretty good success getting close to the tones of which I think you're shooting for out of my BT equipped G2627T with one of the original first editions of a Snouse Electric BlackBox OD with it being followed by a little extra saturation from a Strymon Deco into my '65 Princeton Reissue with the volume on the amp up past 6 in the sweet spot. On its own it definitely gives a nice good girth to the bottom end and rounds out the tone w/ plenty of definition. I haven't met a guitar or amp yet that didn't like this pedal!
    It's a nice Marshall Bluesbreaker clone. I've had mine about 10 yrs now maybe without a single hiccup and am very happy with it still. They can be found used for under $100
    Not sure what the newer ones are like however, but they consistently get rave reviews.

EDIT: WOW! Was I ever wrong about the used prices on the BlackBox OD these days. I was just going off the top of my head on my statement above and last time I remembered looking; they COULD be had for around $85 USD at one time not that long ago. Don't see any of the originals like mine anywhere for sale but lots of newer ones out there and - MY BAD - these damn things are going for around $350 USD these days apparently! Geez! Sorry.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022 at 8:41 PM
  13. Philtertronic

Philtertronic Gretschie

Feb 26, 2014
    scotland
    If you can't get a good tone out of a Bassman and an overdrive, I'd be looking at that guitar with a raised eyebrow. FWIW, the BTBTs are the reason I'm not immediately going ahead with a G5622T purchase.

14. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    A lot of overdrives will be tinny because a lot of them are meant to cut through the mix. I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for and I don't know those pickups well, but I'll say that if you want more low end in your overdriven tone, a Klone or Nobels type will have the low end you want. If you want scream and growl, tubescreamers are good for that. So that's three very different designs. And I also think you could do well with an Atomic Brain because it has low end control.

One place you can go who makes great pedals for a reasonable price is DCW. He has a good variety of designs that faithfully reproduce the original tone.

And as you have found out, every overdrive isn't doing the same thing. So this video might be useful for you. It certainly can help you avoid buying pedals that are of the same type:

Cheers and good hunting!

15. scrimmer

scrimmer Gretschie

Apr 6, 2019
    North Carolina
    OP, you said you needed to stop buying them, but have you considered maybe one of the Nobels ODR-1 mini pedals? Although unfortunately I let it move on (regretted it) I had one of the full-sized ones and it’s a very good OD with the ‘spectrum’ adjustment making it easy to dial in a workable tone with a variety of pickups. The minis have a good reputation and are $80 on Amazon and elsewhere. For that price, I’d take a hard look at one of these. Just my extra 2 cents. Good luck on the search.

stevo likes this.
  16. lmolter54

lmolter54 Electromatic

Dec 28, 2021
    Tampa, FL
    Excellent video. Thanks. Cleared some mysteries up for me.

17. scrimmer

scrimmer Gretschie

Apr 6, 2019
    North Carolina
    Sorry to interject off topic here; but Imolter54, I see you're listed as in Tampa. We LOVE the whole St. Pete/Clearwater/Tampa area and back in April, we bought a condo over in Dunedin, just a short walk from the water, not too far from the causeway over to Honeymoon Island. It's our little getaway vacation spot for now, eventually will probably retire there in the not too distant future. That whole area is beautiful and the winter weather there is stellar!
    We were actually planning on coming down there this weekend and staying for the week, but we had something come up and won't have a chance again to get there again until probably April. Snow and/or ice is predicted here in NC this weekend.
    Bummer. I hate snow and ice.

18. lmolter54

lmolter54 Electromatic

Dec 28, 2021
    Tampa, FL
    Yes, it's very nice over there. Once in a while we venture out towards the Gulf. Haven't been out that way for a couple of months now, but it is lovely there. Dunedin is such a nice little town with all the shops and restaurants and the trail. Yup, we live for this time of the year. Sometimes I do miss the snow, but I forget that we hated to shovel it and drive in it. From NJ originally.

scrimmer likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.